• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrhyde

Capitalist-Pig
    May 22, 2010
    Bel Air MD
    I picked up a 701 after reading this post. I've got to admit I like it a lot. I've carried the 301 for at least 10 years now and I've snapped the plastic part a few times.

This 701 is THICK metal.

I'm really thinking about taking Mercops course now.

I think this will be riding in my shirt for a good long while.

Nixon

Jun 28, 2010
    The 701 is a very nice pen for the price, but they are too leaky to carry in my pocket. Any other suggestions?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The 701 is a very nice pen for the price, but they are too leaky to carry in my pocket. Any other suggestions?

Really? I've never had one leak. Any chance you just got a bad pen?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I picked up a 701 after reading this post. I've got to admit I like it a lot. I've carried the 301 for at least 10 years now and I've snapped the plastic part a few times.

This 701 is THICK metal.

I'm really thinking about taking Mercops course now.

I think this will be riding in my shirt for a good long while.

MERCOP's Pen course is great!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I hope so. I got a couple of them so, I'll just pitch that one and try another.

Good luck. I've got 3-4 in service somewhere between work and home and none of them have leaked on me.

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I don't have my receipt in front of me, but I believe the 701 was $5.24 at the wallyworld on 40 in Aberdeen (between rt. 7 and West Belair).

Man, talk about a nicely built pen :)

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    I don't have my receipt in front of me, but I believe the 701 was $5.24 at the wallyworld on 40 in Aberdeen (between rt. 7 and West Belair).

Man, talk about a nicely built pen :)

Man, talk about a place where you might need it.:D

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    Pens are actually being marketed as tactical, and combat? Are we preparing, and buying a pen to have as a ccw to defend against an attack from an enraged and criminal essay?

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    Pens are actually being marketed as tactical, and combat? Are we preparing, and buying a pen to have as a ccw to defend against an attack from an enraged and criminal essay?

123351.jpg

i really like my 701. need to get a refill for it and may go the space pen route

Lykaios

The Plastic Fantastic
    Mar 4, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Man, talk about a place where you might need it.:D

Maybe you know better than I, but that ain't Edgewood :innocent0 . I will take maybe needing a tactical pen in Harford Co. than maybe needing an AK in the city....I'm just sayin :rolleyes: ;) (I used to ride and work along the #20 bus route downtown)

So where do I get info on your class?? It looks interesting....

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    Freestate Gun Range is stocking some nice Archangel tactical pens. One is aluminum, the other is polymer. The one I have writes well, isn't super aggressive looking, and is quite sturdy.

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    123351.jpg

i really like my 701. need to get a refill for it and may go the space pen route

Freestate Gun Range is stocking some nice Archangel tactical pens. One is aluminum, the other is polymer. The one I have writes well, isn't super aggressive looking, and is quite sturdy.

ok so these are being marketed and purchased for another reason? Paranoya comes to mind.:innocent0

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Tactical pens are stupid

I guess I'll be the first to say it. Tactical pens are a scam to separate you from your money. People are suckered into buying overpriced crap just because the word "tactical" is on it, and because some guy who trains people endorsed it. There is not, and never will be anything tactical about a pen.

A pen can be a good tool for self-defense, not because it's a pen, but because it concentrates the force of your blows into a small area. You could carry a tactical dowel rod for this purpose, but a pen is actually useful when you aren't being attacked. I'm not saying the idea of a pen for self-defense is stupid, just that the idea of a tactical pen if completely silly.

Lots of people recommend the zebra 701, but I think that forum groupthink is at hard at work here. Of all the millions of pens out there, why is this specific one mentioned over and over? Because somebody who's an authority mentioned it was his favorite pen maybe? Come on folks, think outside the box. Find a pen that looks good, writes well, and only then evaluate it's person-smacking qualities. Here's a few I've come up with.

Zippo pens. I believe these are US made, have a solid brass body and look good. They run for around $15 msrp which I think is reasonable.

If you're looking at $200 Benchmade tactical pens, I have something better for you. Bexley is a high end US pen company that makes very nice, and very expensive pens. $80-300 seems to be the price range. If you have lots of money, and not enough ways to spend it, buy this.

Lamy is another company that doesn't make it's pens in China. See a pattern here? These are made in Germany. This company has a wide range of products, from pretentious $200 platinum finished pens, to $12 models. I haven't tried one, but I'm going to in the near future.

Parker pens are European made and high quality, another company worth looking into.

Zebra pens are good, I like the Zebra Sharbo pen, it's a multicolor pen, and has a pencil too. Very handy to have. On a side note, pen review sites rate the Zebra 301 higher than the 701, has anyone compared the two? I think Zebra pens are made in Japan?

Sharpie pens are what I currently carry every day, although they are a little flimsy to be hitting things with. I do love the way they write, which is why one is always in my pocket. You might want to be careful with carrying a stainless steel Sharpie (marker I assume?) because security may think you plan on tagging their bathroom stalls or something.

Cross moved all production to China from New York in 2006, and continue to charge the same prices, so screw them.

That Cold Steel extra huge marker is silly, and anyone who has one should be laughed at. (Half serious here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom