Others
    -----------------------
    American Classic 4
    STI (used) 3
    Remington R1 (including enhanced) 3
    Para 2
    Tarus 2
    Les Baer (used) 1

Springfield Range Officers are good pistols and priced about the same as the Loaded, at least on the site I was looking at.

There are a few guys at my club that have Range Officers and they are all really good.

I'm sure the other manufacturers have good customer service but my one experience with Springfield Armory impressed the hell out of me.

I bought a used 1911 9mm that was a complete dog. I took it to Scott's and Chad diagnosed the issue right away. Slide and barrel were trashed from someone trying to "polish" the locking lugs.

Springfield replaced the barrel and slide and paid for shipping both ways. Total cost to me was $0.00 even after I explained to them I was not the original owner and the gun had been hacked on.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I won't try to mind read Blaster at any given moment; so I'll throw some thoughts out under my own hook :

Most modern day 1911's will have a reasonably sufficient degree of accuracy , save for the occasional hungover Monday built 0istol.( ace bullseye shooters, real target grade pistols, and real match grade ammo excluded from discussion, but they're small % ).

Most shooters can see bigger improvement off hand shooting a kinda average pistol with excellent trigger. Than extreme mechanical accuracy and kinda almost ok trigger.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    I won't try to mind read Blaster at any given moment; so I'll throw some thoughts out under my own hook :

Most modern day 1911's will have a reasonably sufficient degree of accuracy , save for the occasional hungover Monday built 0istol.( ace bullseye shooters, real target grade pistols, and real match grade ammo excluded from discussion, but they're small % ).

Most shooters can see bigger improvement off hand shooting a kinda average pistol with excellent trigger. Than extreme mechanical accuracy and kinda almost ok trigger.

I agree with you! A 1911 can be very mechanically accurate, but ergonomics also can improve things tremendously. Trigger work, a fitted trigger, pull length, improvement of sight picture for your needs, etc., can also make you shoot better. Also, reading a reloading manual completely before starting reloading can greatly help too! Lastly, practice helps a lot!

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I have been seriously considering a RIA or Remington as the next purchase. Can anyone convince me one way or the other?

I'm not going to malign the Remington ... It is what it is as production pistols go. However, the combined difference between the Companies, their customer service, price and warranty takes my attention to the RIA.

Rem 1911 R1 = 2 year limited warranty to original purchaser...
    http://www.remington.com/support/firearm-warranty-information/remington-2-year-limited-warranty

RIA = Lifetime warranty transfers to future buyers. (I have personal experience with their warranty/customer service :thumbsup:)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I agree with you! A 1911 can be very mechanically accurate, but ergonomics also can improve things tremendously. Trigger work, a fitted trigger, pull length, improvement of sight picture for your needs, etc., can also make you shoot better. Also, reading a reloading manual completely before starting reloading can greatly help too! Lastly, practice helps a lot!

This^^^. With a GI A1 profile grip safety or any beavertail with similar profile (such as the Sigs) I shoot looser groups using strong hand thumb over thumb safety grip. It is noticable and frustrating. The mainspring housing (flat or arched) doesn't effect the situation much. Using standard grip (strong hand thumb under safety), deriving the accuracy improves but muzzle flip increases.

Thay's why I typically suggest shooting different configuration pistols until one finds a configuration that works for them.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And that's why you should try out multiple configurations of 1911, because my experience is just about exactly opposite from Magnumite's .

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I'm surprised Glock, as popular as they are, hasn't done more with the selection of grip sizes and angles. Not a fan so I am not sure if they are doing the interchangeable back strap thing.

All of the Gen 4s have interchangeable backstraps. It doesn't change the grip angle particularly much, but there is some variance in grip size now.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Sweet... You gonna like it... :thumbsup:
    6700.jpg

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I got the full fondle of my BILs sr1911, although no pewpew, a very nicely made pistol. I shall have to get one soon. Just like yours Deadpirate.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I got 2 frames to build later. I want to get 2 nfa items but im low on cash. Hoping to at least be able to do a form 1 can.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    My son and I have started the selection of pattern and components so he can do his first build. His first 1911 he just commandeered my favorite...which I built. Then he tried it on the rail gun I built. A parent has to set limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom