• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firestorm89

Dec 30, 2012
    I was wondering what the best target pistol was..For a beginner. Something that would be good to learn the basics, the right way, that won't fatigue a new shooter all that much.

Thanks

Bushwood

Farm Raised
    Jan 27, 2013
    The Dena
    Browning Buckmark .22LR, that's what I learned on. Thousands of rounds of fun, and fairly accurate! Cheap practice.

cyclelabs

Dec 18, 2012
    Gambrills, MD
    I was wondering what the best target pistol was..For a beginner. Something that would be good to learn the basics, the right way, that won't fatigue a new shooter all that much.

Thanks
    I agree it's hard to go wrong with any Ruger. I would also take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 22LR. I just got one (currently in the MSP waiting period). Reviews looked good.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    If you want a .22, then the Rugers are the way to go.

If you want a big boy pistol, then a 1911 (.45acp) is my recommendation. You can get a basic one to start and upgrade it as your skill progress.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I like my S&W 22a. It has good target sights and a full length rail standard. Extra barrels with different lengths and sights are available as well and swap in seconds. I have a 5" that is great standard and insanely fast handling with a red dot and a scoped 7" that will hang with most rifles.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Agree with the suggestion of a 22 pistol

I was shopping for a Ruger 22 up until recently. They seemed in short supply at the local shops. Saw a couple 22/45's with the skinny slab side grips, that I don't like, but little else. Your choice of 22 may be dictated by what's available. If you see something you like, grab it.

I ended up deferring my 22 pistol purchase until after the current gun buying frenzy tapers off.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    As suggested, I start my noobs on a Ruger mk II. The reasons it works is the recoil is soft. Noobs can focus on shooting fundamentals like trigger control and sight acquisition without noise or recoil. Ammo is cheap. Plus the pistol functions reliably.

The only minor downside is the operation of the Ruger MKII is different than center fire pistols with respect to the mag release and slide.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I like my S&W 22a. It has good target sights and a full length rail standard. Extra barrels with different lengths and sights are available as well and swap in seconds. I have a 5" that is great standard and insanely fast handling with a red dot and a scoped 7" that will hang with most rifles.

What he said, plus they are insanely accurate. This one was a whopping $268 shipped to the ffl from Buds.

Attachments

• 2012-10-14_17-17-46_171.jpg
      2012-10-14_17-17-46_171.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 578

afree1

Rimfire Fan
    Jan 25, 2013
    Hagerstown Area
    Ruger Mark II with the bull bbl. and adjustable sights, for the economy option. S&W Model 41 if more cash is available. If you want a revolver, it's hard to beat a Dan Wesson model 22, at any distance up to 100 yards.

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Ruger 22/45 great for training, safety mag release etc same as 1911 style pistols, so when you move up to larger calibers you are already familiar. Ruger single six is nice single action revolver if you want to go that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom