• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    My recommendation on a caliber would pretty much rest on how much target shooting you plan on doing with the rifle. Its hard to beat .308 for the price and spectrum on rounds available. For deer hunting I prefer faster, lighter, flatter shooting rounds. I made the decision on a 270 and bought one last year that said it wont be my big target gun as I am spending close to $2 per round. Cheap walmart ammo for the 270 is still a bit over $1 per round. If that is acceptable, there is a Winchester m70 in the classifieds, that's a great gun and a good price.

chiefstrum

Jul 17, 2009
    Garrett County
    Where in Maryland do you plan to hunt deer?

"Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the ashington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of .6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River."

:shrug:
    (Page 18)

I live in Garrett County so my md hunting would be done there. I also do some deer hunting in WV, MO, and Saskatchewan

chiefstrum

Jul 17, 2009
    Garrett County
    My deer rifle experience has been limited to my dad's guns which are 7mmWbyMag and 243. I know both of these guns are awesome deer guns (especially the wby!) but I really want to make sure my choice is appropriate for target shooting as well. If I was going for a hunting rifle only my decision is already made - .257WbyMag

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    My recommendation on a caliber would pretty much rest on how much target shooting you plan on doing with the rifle. Its hard to beat .308 for the price and spectrum on rounds available.
    I'd agree. There is a wide variety of factory match and hunting ammo around, it is very common, barrel life is very good, the cartridge is inherently accurate and quite easy to handload for.

While many other cartridges offer slightly flatter trajectory and more energy, it is ALWAYS at the expense of "something"; either reduced barrel life, reduced ammo availability, increased recoil or increased cost.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Hm, I know you guys are big on the .30 caliber but did anyone ever consider an 8mm? With the exception of african big game, you should be able to take down every animal and the round itself does allow for so many different loads that you can have one for every animal that is out there.
    The advantages of an 8mm Mauser - the actions are aplenty. Just take one of the sporterized carbines, have it rebarreled and put it in a nice stock and there is your full custom hunting rifle.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The 8 x 57 is a great hunting round with proper bullets.

FWIW, a Mauser action in 8 x 57 can be rebarreled to any number of cartridges based on the .30-06/.308 case head size from .22-250 to .375 Whelen.

The trouble with the 8 x 57 cartridge for target shooting is the excessive recoil and lack of accurate and/or aerodynamic bullets.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    For the .270 Win, what is an average barrel life expectancy on a typical factory barrel (Remington, Savage, etc)?

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    With my Remington 700P with the bull barrel in .308, even I am getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards, and I waste too much range time on the bay chasing those silly rockfish.

Not my rifle., but one just like it
    700-01.jpg

lax

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Baldwin
    With my Remington 700P with the bull barrel in .308, even I am getting 1/2" groups at 100 yards, and I waste too much range time on the bay chasing those silly rockfish.

Not my rifle., but one just like it
    View attachment 10031

if you plan on doing any type deer hunting I would not get a bull barrel unless you drop the length down to 18-20"s, and even then it will still be a heavy rifle.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    The trouble with the 8 x 57 cartridge for target shooting is the excessive recoil and lack of accurate and/or aerodynamic bullets.

While you are right with the recoil, this is something that is manageble by reloads. If you shoot for 100 yards or less, you can use a moderately loaded round and lead bullets. Works just fine enough to punch through paper but not as a hunting round.
    To shoot for extended ranges, you should probably invest in a shock-absorbing patting on stock or clothes.

As for the bullets, nosler, speer and especially sierra have good ones that might live up to your expectations.

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    I can't speak about hunting because I have little experience, but I can certainly recommend a 243 for target work. It's a great cartridge that will serve you well for long range work, yet will not wear you out with recoil. The only downside is reduced barrel life as compared to say a 308.

13mogul

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    Best hunting rifle I've ever owned for deer is my Remington 7600 30-06 pump. I've tried others, but this beats them all, no contest. You can plink with the lighter loads, and drop in the 180g for the kill.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    My pure killing rig is a Ruger compact .308. It is not a range gun in any way shape or form. It will just barely shoot sub 1 inch groups with the best of loads but it is absolutely everything I need in a hunting rifle, small, light, tough as nails, easy to shoulder and point, minute of deer accurate.
    DSC_0200.jpg

It is not a range rifle though and doesn't fit that bill at all. Like I said choosing the right rifle is the most important thing. I would think a 20" bull barreled Rem. 700 SPS is exactly what you are looking for.

Bucephalus

Aug 27, 2008
    Just thought I would throw the 7mm-08 into the mix, if you are considering a short bolt rifle.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    remington 700 in .308 or .308 AR.. they do make .243 AR's too

but my personal choice is a browning A bolt chambered in 7mm rem mag. 7mm rem mag is good enough for anything north american game for the most part and its a flat shooting cartridge that flies pretty fast.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    remington 700 in .308 or .308 AR.. they do make .243 AR's too

but my personal choice is a browning A bolt chambered in 7mm rem mag. 7mm rem mag is good enough for anything north american game for the most part and its a flat shooting cartridge that flies pretty fast.

So how many of those can you put down at one time at the range?:D

armedsks

Feb 27, 2007
    Sharpsburg, MD
    If your short on funds. You probally can find a few sporterized 1903's and 1917's in the pawn shops. Many of the U.S. military bolt rifles were Sporterized in the 50's-70's since they were cheaper than comercial rifles. Many Are still 30-06 but a few have been rebarreld.

US rifles have nice triggers (IMHO)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I live in Garrett County so my md hunting would be done there. I also do some deer hunting in WV, MO, and Saskatchewan

Even MORE reasons to go with the 06, you're now talking elk, bear, moose in MO, and Saskatchewan. 200 and 220 gr bullets have a lot more oomph in the 06 than the .308, they don't even make a 220 in .308 I don't think.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    So here are some other options that I have not seen thrown up there. These are some the budget options along with a wildcat round.

1. 7.62x54R M-39 Finnish
    2. 7.62x54R M91/30 ex-sniper
    3. 1908 Brazilian Mauser in 7mmx57
    4. .50 cal beowulf

1. and 2. have the option of nice 200 grain softpoints
    3. is a lighter 175 grain load
    4. is limited to about 200 yards, BUT the 400 grain round will put a hurting on anything it runs into.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom