• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I kind of have a thing for knives now for the last several years. I wouldn't say I am a serious collector but probably have more than I will ever use. I like trying knives with different types of steel and comparing them. There are so many different steels available today it is hard to pick one over another. That said, I think your EDC should be really good overall. My latest knife is a Spyderco Delica4 with CPM M4. So far it has been pretty awesome. I have read the CPM 3V is really good too. And now there is a relatively new steel called MAGNACUT. I hear it is the best. What steel are you guys using in your EDC's? And why?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My Endura is VG10. It's worked fine for many years. Smokey and Alucard will be a long shortly to tell you more than I'll ever know.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    My Endura is VG10. It's worked fine for many years. Smokey and Alucard will be a long shortly to tell you more than I'll ever know.
    I have a Spyderco Delica4 in VG10 and it has been ok. I have found that it doesn't hold an edge for very long and it will occasionally get micro ships along the edge. Once that happens it is time for a new edge. I have another small Spyderco called Manbug that has ZDP-189 steel. That knife holds an edge great. I have not had to sharpen that blade yet and it has been a couple of years. Because of its size it doesn't get used a ton.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    My 3 most-carried knives are all Spydercos:
    Delica wave in VG-10
    Yojimbo 2 in S30V
    Pacific Salt 2 in H1
    My understanding is that magnacut has better corrosion resistance than H1 and better edge retention than S30V and VG-10.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    My 3 most-carried knives are all Spydercos:
    Delica wave in VG-10
    Yojimbo 2 in S30V
    Pacific Salt 2 in H1
    My understanding is that magnacut has better corrosion resistance than H1 and better edge retention than S30V and VG-10.
    I have a Spyderco something don't remember the name but it has the H1 blade and the yellow handle but I don't really use it as an EDC. It's more of a boat knife and it also has a serrated edge. Would make a nice divers knife.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    I have a Spyderco something don't remember the name but it has the H1 blade and the yellow handle but I don't really use it as an EDC. It's more of a boat knife and it also has a serrated edge. Would make a nice divers knife.
    Mine is a plain edge. I carry it if I'm fishing or if I'm going hiking and will be sweating a ton.

I see Spyderco is making the Native Salt in magnacut now. I don't know if they will transition all of the salt series to magnacut steel or stick with H1 for a while.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Microtech in elmax. holds an edge. Haven’t had a need to sharpen in 2 years.
    I have wanted a OTF Microtech for several years but you can't carry them in MD so I have passed. I have a Bradford fixed blade with Elmax but it doesn't have much use yet.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    You can carry in MD. A pocket clip exposed makes it not concealed and legal to carry. You can carry concealed with your MD HGP.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Mine is a plain edge. I carry it if I'm fishing or if I'm going hiking and will be sweating a ton.

I see Spyderco is making the Native Salt in magnacut now. I don't know if they will transition all of the salt series to magnacut steel or stick with H1 for a while.
    I think my next knife is going to be in magnacut. I also have a hard time finding knives specific for a lefty. It sucks being a lefty for folders. That's why I have so many Spyderco knives. They give you options.

Gabagool

Jul 11, 2013
    Harford County
    I think my next knife is going to be in magnacut. I also have a hard time finding knives specific for a lefty. It sucks being a lefty for folders. That's why I have so many Spyderco knives. They give you options.
    I'm not a lefty, but I carry my knife in my front-left pocket and I shoot cross-dominant, so I can sympathize.
    I've been eyeballing some fixed blades in magnacut, but I already have too many folders and have been trying to thin the herd a little bit.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I'm not a lefty, but I carry my knife in my front-left pocket and I shoot cross-dominant, so I can sympathize.
    I've been eyeballing some fixed blades in magnacut, but I already have too many folders and have been trying to thin the herd a little bit.
    my knife buying comes in spurts. I wish it could break the habit. heheh

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I find S30V is a pretty good compromise in price, edge retention and sharpening ease.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    M390 and 204p are great. I’ve got a spyderco salt with lc200 that is nice for saltwater use. Holds a decent edge without being as soft as H1. The S90v on one of my benchmade 940’s holds an edge really well, but can be a pain to sharpen. One of my favorite edc knifes is a boring old spyderco para 3 lightweight. The steel holds a razor sharp edge, but is very easy to maintain.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    M390 and 204p are great. I’ve got a spyderco salt with lc200 that is nice for saltwater use. Holds a decent edge without being as soft as H1. The S90v on one of my benchmade 940’s holds an edge really well, but can be a pain to sharpen. One of my favorite edc knifes is a boring old spyderco para 3 lightweight. The steel holds a razor sharp edge, but is very easy to maintain.
    I don't own any with S90V but have read it is really nice. Up with the Magnacut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom