• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    Looking for a fairly simple app to judge distance while using an Android based phone. We don't need a full-on $200+ range finder just yet. Looking for something that can measure 25-200 yards.

Is anyone using an app for this? Thanks.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    There are some "golf" range finders you can look into, but I think most utilize a subscription service. (No personal experience. Just hear from guys at work.) Best bet would be to learn how to range using your scope.

How accurate are you looking to get?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Cheap golf rangefinders use the (known) height of the flag pole to estimate range. Any sort of 'app' w/o a dedicated laser rangefinder has to have something of a known size. You have a golf flag beside your target? ;)

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Cheap golf rangefinders use the (known) height of the flag pole to estimate range. Any sort of 'app' w/o a dedicated laser rangefinder has to have something of a known size. You have a golf flag beside your target? ;)

From what I've heard, some use a mapping tool and not the pole height.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    When you guys are talking about Golf Range finders, are you talking about the lasers or the GPS units?

If you're talking about the lasers then they should work just fine. I have one and I can bounce it off of any solid object getting a accurate measurement.

Here is one for $100 and it's good out to 400 yards.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net...ferralID=fa3bd2ad-cc60-11e2-9389-001b2166c62d

You can also find decent Spotting scopes for less than $200.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    No, OP is talking about an app for his phone. I don't know of any phone that has laser rangefinder hardware built in;)

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    Isnipe is a ballistic calculator app. Not sure if it is Droid compatable but it has a range finder type function in it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Unless you phone supports WAAS (and I don't know of any that do) any GPS map based system is going to be wrong most of the time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_Area_Augmentation_System

??

waas from I understand when I was checking on them long time ago is pretty much antenna based stations (like cell towers).

had a hand held garmin with waas capability. it only takes over when the gps satelittes are not found. it bounce signals from known waas station (for checks). when the waas takes over.. the garmin tells me how accurate my location is.. which is less accurate than if both gps and waas are active.

for range type.. cell phones with gps id say are within say 10-50' (can be less depends how many satellites are found) accuracy (depending how its setup.. walking vs driving).

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    WAAS is antenna based. It was developed "to augment the Global Positioning System (GPS), with the goal of improving its accuracy, integrity, and availability." GPS accuracy w/o WAAS was typ something like 50' iirc. W/ WAAS is much better. The OP was looking for 25-200yd distances, so that error could be a very big %. Now if he walks out to the target and takes another reading, the relative error should nearly match and will cancel out. But if the target location is based on a (correct) map coordinate, its going to suck;) I don't see many golfers walking down to the pin, taking a reading, then walking back to the tee to accurately estimate range;)

There is also a differential gps system to enhance accuracy that afaik doesn't take any additional hardware in your receiver. But it depends on having dgps receivers nearby (nearby is relative.) I've not seen a phone app that takes advantage of them but they have to be out there. I've never played w/ a dgps system.

Billy Bones

Flagoneer
    Mar 27, 2012
    Grasonville, Md
    Thanks for the replies. Looking to get something cheaper, i.e. an app to use in the backyard or for shorter distances. Will check out the $100 one @ Sportsmanship guide though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom