• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My folks were up this past weekend since we're headed to the in-laws in PA for Christmas proper. They wanted to go somewhere nice, but not too fancy for dinner (better than a chain, but nothing high-dollar) so I booked us a reservation at Vintage in New Market. I had eaten there once before and had the shrimp and grits which was good, so I figured it'd be a good bet for a second meal.

I got their tomahawk pork chop which is sourced from Wagner's in Mt. Airy and I can honestly say that it was the BEST damned pork chop I've ever had in my life.

I got my AOS and BPS from The Culinary Institute of America, spent 15 years in the back of the house in restaurants and another 13 in contract food service, and in all that time, I've never had as good a pork chop. It was tender, flavorful, juicy, everything that Niman Ranch has promised for decades but usually fails to deliver. It was outstanding. I'm not sure where Wagners got that pig, but I hope they have more coming from there. And yes, the cook who prepared it definitely had a hand in the experience, but wow, what a great piece of meat.

So, kudos to both Vintage and Wagner's. I plan on running up to the shop in Mt. Airy later this week to grab some bone-in chops for my home. Vintage is definitely worth a try if you're looking for a nice place for dinner sometime.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Man you got my mouth watering!!! BUT! You had to take the last one didn’t you?

IMG_3203.jpeg

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    If you're close to DC there is Harvey's butcher shop in Union Market. They have local Berkshire bone in pork chops cut as thick as you want. They are hands down the best pork I've had. I usually grill them over hardwood charcoal with just salt and pepper.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Pork chops are under rated due to them always being sliced too thin and over cooked.

A nice thick pork chop grilled to 145 is delicious.
    145 really isn't even necessary anymore since all US pork is held to a much higher standard than in the past. You can go medium with whole-muscle cuts of pork these days without worry. ServSafe guidelines say 145 for an instant kill to trichinella, but if you go 136 for 3 minutes (if you hit 136, it'll be that temp for at least 3 minutes) you're just as good.

Here's the USDA chart:
    1621634459796.png

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    145 really isn't even necessary anymore since all US pork is held to a much higher standard than in the past. You can go medium with whole-muscle cuts of pork these days without worry. ServSafe guidelines say 145 for an instant kill to trichinella, but if you go 136 for 3 minutes (if you hit 136, it'll be that temp for at least 3 minutes) you're just as good.

Here's the USDA chart:
    View attachment 445786

These are not Doc T approved numbers for long pork.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Picked up this long-time favorite from the Lancaster County Penna. Dutch Market in Germantown. The smoked chop gets a total of five minutes per side for a nice surface.

1712067547452.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom