• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twenty5mafia

MDS Supporter
    May 27, 2023
    Baltimore
    Just like the title says, where are suggestions to go look at 1911s/buy some. Are there gun stores that tend to carry more than 1 in stock frequently? I collect guns that have a place in American history. I also carry them... so I can justify to myself why I buy them lol. I am looking for some ideas to go look at 1911s in 45, 38, and 9mm. I am leaning towards places that have brands like Springfield, Kimber, Colt, Ed Brown... not places that have RIA, TASIS, Giran. (personal preference)

Any feedback is great!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Maryland Elite Firearms. They are an industry partner here and are a dealer for a number of higher end 1911 brands. Got my Dan Wesson Valor there and they were a pleasure to deal with.

Also, id take a Tisas over most Kimbers anyday. Kimber doesn’t belong in that lineup you mentioned. Springfield puts out a decent 1911 for the money across a wide range of price points, although Dan Wesson is hard to beat at the ~1800-2k price point.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Also, id take a Tisas over most Kimbers anyday. Kimber doesn’t belong in that lineup you mentioned. Springfield puts out a decent 1911 for the money across a wide range of price points, although Dan Wesson is hard to beat at the ~1800-2k price point.
    Agree with this. Kimbers look pretty, but that's it.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Where are you? Different answers if you live on the Eastern Shore, Southern MD, or west of Frederick.

For metro Baltimore- (there are others)

Tylers Firearms

Maryland Elite

Continental

Gundalk

MD Police Supply

Freestategunrange.com

Cindy's Hotshots

twenty5mafia

MDS Supporter
    May 27, 2023
    Baltimore
    Where are you? Different answers if you live on the Eastern Shore, Southern MD, or west of Frederick.

For metro Baltimore- (there are others)

Tylers Firearms

Maryland Elite

Continental

Gundalk

MD Police Supply

Freestategunrange.com

Cindy's Hotshots

Well, I can tell you for sure that Tyler Firearms does not regularly carry 1911s. I appreciate you listing all the major gun stores, but that was not what I was asking for.

twenty5mafia

MDS Supporter
    May 27, 2023
    Baltimore
    Agree with this. Kimbers look pretty, but that's it.
    I agree, but I threw Kimber on there more so to point at the major manufactures that are not budget centric. I do not own Kimber, nor will I own any, but I figure it was good to get the point across

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Well, I can tell you for sure that Tyler Firearms does not regularly carry 1911s. I appreciate you listing all the major gun stores, but that was not what I was asking for.
    Agreed- but they (like others) can happily order anything for you.

twenty5mafia

MDS Supporter
    May 27, 2023
    Baltimore
    Maryland Elite Firearms. They are an industry partner here and are a dealer for a number of higher end 1911 brands. Got my Dan Wesson Valor there and they were a pleasure to deal with.

I had heard somewhere that DW 1911s had a spout of issues. that may be old news, but ill definitely add them to the list

twenty5mafia

MDS Supporter
    May 27, 2023
    Baltimore
    Agreed- but they (like others) can happily order anything for you.
    Again, thank you. I am in there almost weekly. I was looking for gun shops that specifically have a regular inventory of more than 1 1911, so I can see them. Tyler's will order anything though, as you mentioned.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Long term- watch the CMP. Sometime later in 2024, expect them to take applications for SURPLUS 1911's.

ROUND 4 1911 ANNOUNCEMENT​

THE PROCEDURES FOR PURCHASING 1911 TYPE PISTOLS FROM CMP 1911

Round 4 M1911 Pistol orders closed on October 31, 2023. Sign up for CMP Sales Email updates to learn more and receive updates.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    For 1911s usually on hand:

Another vote for Maryland Elite. They have brands with a price tag range from mild to wild.

Atlantic in Rockville. They usually have several manufacturers including Les Baer

2A Sales seems to move inventory but I’ve handled a couple Colts there. Kimber also I think.

All good shops above but I second Tyler’s if you decide to order something.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I had heard somewhere that DW 1911s had a spout of issues. that may be old news, but ill definitely add them to the list
    I do think they had some galling issues for their stainless models, but I’ve had no issues. They are very tight fitting, so run them wet with good oil for the first few hundred rounds and you won’t have to worry about any galling or seized slides. Love my Valor.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Of the Baltimore-ish shops above, MD Elite is the only one that stocks more than one or two 1911's. They're also an IP on this forum.
    2a usually does and they are also a Dan Wesson dealer. Last time I was in there they had some second hand DW’s also. They had a variety of other 1911’s as well, although I can’t recall the brands.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I would like to know what the difference is between a 2k kimber to 2k dan wesson? I don’t own either, just want to know. I held some 1911s and own couple and no real difference in the hand, blind folded.

As far as custom 1911 like Wilson and Ed brown, prices can go up to thousands. It be nice to have one, but also would not be “I m him” with the cheapest available Wilson or Ed brown. But it definitely be nice.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I would like to know what the difference is between a 2k kimber to 2k dan wesson? I don’t own either, just want to know. I held some 1911s and own couple and no real difference in the hand, blind folded.

As far as custom 1911 like Wilson and Ed brown, prices can go up to thousands. It be nice to have one, but also would not be “I m him” with the cheapest available Wilson or Ed brown. But it definitely be nice.

The biggest difference is the firing pin safety. Dan Wesson uses a series 70 style (ie none) whereas Kimber uses a Schwartz safety which is activated by the grip safety instead of the trigger. The have had many reliability issues with them (too loose of a grip and you get a click instead of a bang).

I cannot speak for Dan Wesson, but I know Kimber uses MIM parts for just about everything. For a 2k 1911 I want forged, especially high wear parts like extractor and slide stop.

Last edited:

small shot

Aug 20, 2020
    Hafers has a nice selection. Kimbers, Colt, Nighthawk, Dan wessons.. call before hand. They are great to talk too before making the drive.

I bought my Kimber Rapide from them. Thousands of rounds through it, never a hiccup.

With 1911s you definitely want to handle them before settling on one.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

A 2k kimber? There isn’t one. All Kimbers are built around the same basic architecture, but the fancier models have fancier finishes and machining, but the actual slide to frame fit and other bits are all the same. You are straight up paying for nonfunctional enhancements.

Dan Wesson is considered the beginning of the “custom” or “semi custom” range of 1911’s. A lot of hand fitting on those guns and they use parts from Ed Brown and other high end shops. The old Valors were built on Ed Brown frames, for example. DW also doesn’t use MIM parts on any of their guns, unlike Kimber (and Springfield and others). Bottom line is you get a much nicer 1911 with a DW.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Dan Wesson uses a series 70 firing system so it has neither the series 80, or Swarts safety.
    They also use all forged parts that are hand fitted.
    They are probably the finest production 1911 on the market today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom