• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I lost my Marlin 882 22WMR in a fire this year. It was a great shooter.

I was very happy to replace it with a Mossberg 640 KD "The Chuckster" 22WMR. The only negative is trying to find original mags for it. But there is a Savage magazine that fits it.

I have the Mossberg 640 K, marketed as the "Revelation" sold at Western Auto. It is a great rifle.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yes, the Ruger 77 rimfire series is being discontinued. These were nice rifles, especially the earlier versions. I've owned a 7722 in 22WMR for a long time now. The downside of this series has always been price point, and IMO a much too heavy trigger. Accuracy is good but would likely be better with a replacement trigger.

I also have a CZ455 in 17HMR, and liked it so well that I bought a second one in 22LR. The barrel swap feature of the 455 series does nothing for me personally, but that's just me and the option exists to interchange 3 chamberings in this series. I do not own the 22WMR version. But if I wanted another 22WMR, I'd look hand at the CZ455, and/or the older 452 series that preceded it. Aside from the bass ackward safety that I'm a whole lot less than fond of, these rifles are most definitely shooters.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I lost my Marlin 882 22WMR in a fire this year. It was a great shooter.

I was very happy to replace it with a Mossberg 640 KD "The Chuckster" 22WMR. The only negative is trying to find original mags for it. But there is a Savage magazine that fits it.

I have the Mossberg 640 K, marketed as the "Revelation" sold at Western Auto. It is a great rifle.

I saw a Chuckster at Tylers at the Dundalk show. Nice rifles.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    ? Really? How's I miss that. Dangit. Was it an older model?

Yes, I think that it was a Model 57M, made from 1960 to 1969. He had had it marked for sale at $395, a little high, but he will entertain offers on his guns,
    I bought a Winchester 255 in 22mag at one of the Frederick shows this year for around $50 less than he had it priced.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Yes, the Ruger 77 rimfire series is being discontinued. These were nice rifles, especially the earlier versions. I've owned a 7722 in 22WMR for a long time now. The downside of this series has always been price point, and IMO a much too heavy trigger. Accuracy is good but would likely be better with a replacement trigger.

I also have a CZ455 in 17HMR, and liked it so well that I bought a second one in 22LR. The barrel swap feature of the 455 series does nothing for me personally, but that's just me and the option exists to interchange 3 chamberings in this series. I do not own the 22WMR version. But if I wanted another 22WMR, I'd look hand at the CZ455, and/or the older 452 series that preceded it. Aside from the bass ackward safety that I'm a whole lot less than fond of, these rifles are most definitely shooters.

So is the 77, basically a baby bro to the M77, like my Gunsite Scout? That'd be neat to build one with a similar lookin stock if so.

I've heard nothing but good about just about al CZ's. Def on my radar, but doubt I could find one used since they seem to be fairly new, yes?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not a lot of love for the M597 . The interesting thing about them, is that they were designed from the ground up as a .22WMR, and then adapted for a .22lr version.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    My vote is for a Marlin 57M lever action (very accurate and feels like a real rifle).

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County

I have a sense our collections are very similar, my friend! FYI: The 77/xx trigger can be easily remedied by an inexpensive Volquartsen sear kit.
    So is the 77, basically a baby bro to the M77, like my Gunsite Scout? That'd be neat to build one with a similar lookin stock if so.

I've heard nothing but good about just about al CZ's. Def on my radar, but doubt I could find one used since they seem to be fairly new, yes?
    Yes, basically a mini 77, but they take the same excellent rotary magazines as the 10/xx series. They share even more similarities with the 77/357 and 77/44. Sadly, these are discontinued also.

You simply cannot go wrong with a CZ. The safeties are annoying, however.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Now that is a neat looking combo. Wonder if you can get it in 410/22WMR. Perfect rabbit gun! Nice potential companion for my S&W Governor too.

Yes it was made in .410/.22WMR although my wish list combo has always been .22 Hornet over 20 Gauge. Here is a link that lists some of the other combinations.
    http://www.guns.com/2013/03/20/savage-model-24-rfile-over-shotgun/

The new Savage Model 42 also comes in .22WMR over .410, however I don't like the looks as much as the older guns. Your tastes may differ.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/Model42

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I would not get a semi-auto magnum rimfire. Read the article in the American Rifleman about all the difficulties involved; it was discussed when they (The American Riflman) reviewed the new Savage semi-auto 17 mag rimfire. I for one will not own one, and I think Ruger quit making them for a reason. Now for a bolt gun, different story. My 2 cents.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Winchester 9422M

Nothing is a better example of THE perfect hand me down rifle. They are put together so perfectly and are smooth as butter. One of my biggest regrets was selling mine years ago.

But nothing wrong with a Henry 22mag lever gun either. Or my personal Henry favorite, their pump action rimfire :)

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring

I guess they've scrapped these nice Roger's for they cheaper to mass produce American series. :sad20:

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Nothing is a better example of THE perfect hand me down rifle. They are put together so perfectly and are smooth as butter. One of my biggest regrets was selling mine years ago.

But nothing wrong with a Henry 22mag lever gun either. Or my personal Henry favorite, their pump action rimfire :)

Yeah I prefer older used rifles have an untold story.... Henry pumps seem so skinny and delicate - only gripe.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Yes it was made in .410/.22WMR although my wish list combo has always been .22 Hornet over 20 Gauge. Here is a link that lists some of the other combinations.
    http://www.guns.com/2013/03/20/savage-model-24-rfile-over-shotgun/

The new Savage Model 42 also comes in .22WMR over .410, however I don't like the looks as much as the older guns. Your tastes may differ.
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/Model42

Most def on list. Saw this mislabelled one, but more than I'd like to spend on used:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603967454

I have the Henry H001 and it's one of my favorites with .22 short another recommendation for the OP is a Ruger 96/22 since he mentioned "older".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom