• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I posted a thread asking for suggestions on a pistol purchase. Some of the responses said hold off on buying a pistol and use the money to buy something that is going to be banned this October and buy a pistol post ban as they will still be available. I agree with buying something now that I will not be able to after the ban, therefore, I am asking for suggestions. It will pretty much sit in the safe but I want to be able to take it out shooting occasionally. My budget is about $1,500 but if needed I could spend a little more. I don't care about accessories in the gun at this time as I can always add them later. I am bot looking for any ar15's as I have some lowers for future builds. Thanks for the help.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Wide open question. What have you shot and liked? What caliber are you interested in?

Personally, everyone needs one AK in their collection. Go 5.45 and it'll be cheap to shoot, at least for the foreseeable future.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    Wide open question. What have you shot and liked? What caliber are you interested in?

Personally, everyone needs one AK in their collection. Go 5.45 and it'll be cheap to shoot, at least for the foreseeable future.

It is wide open which makes it interesting as there are so many options and preferences. I have shot a bunch of handguns, shotguns, and an ar15. This purchase would mostly be "just because I still can." Thanks

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013

Any suggestions in which AK and what I should spend. I am clearly new to gun buying and still VERY green.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Anything Arsenal is a good bet, but you'll pay for it in this climate. Their milled Bulgarian in 7.62x39 is fairly available and very nice quality. A 5.56 with a poly folder can be had for less, but aren't quite as reliable as original commie caliber AKs.

Just about any AK built overseas will be a good bet. Even WASRs have their good points.

5.45 ammo is hovering around .30/round but less than a year ago could be had for .12/round. It will get cheaper again before it gets more expensive permanently. My 5.45s have all paid for themselves in ammo savings vs shooting in another caliber.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    "No 'Rooskie' rifles!!!!!!!!!"

Gunny-AK-Ewwwwww.jpg

"You're an American, aren't you!?!?!?!?!? Get an M1A or an AR-15!!!!!!!"

:lol2:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You've got three directions in which you could go.

The first is to go up-power to something in 7.62. Either an M1A or an AR-10. The advantage of the latter is that you can buy a lower today cheap, then build it up later.

The second is to go AK. Concur on the 5.45 as far as ammo goes, it's still reasonably priced. But magazines will be tough - you'll have to buy out of state.

The third is to go for an exotic. A Steyr AUG (or MSAR clone), or a Sig 556.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    You've got three directions in which you could go.

The first is to go up-power to something in 7.62. Either an M1A or an AR-10. The advantage of the latter is that you can buy a lower today cheap, then build it up later.

The second is to go AK. Concur on the 5.45 as far as ammo goes, it's still reasonably priced. But magazines will be tough - you'll have to buy out of state.

The third is to go for an exotic. A Steyr AUG (or MSAR clone), or a Sig 556.

Any idea where I should look for the first two options and what a decent price is? As far as the sig 556, I know I can get one new for about 1225 bare bones or about 1300 with quad rail forend.

Thanks again for all the help.

TwinTurboDiesel

Hellbilly Punk
    May 21, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    The third is to go for an exotic. A Steyr AUG (or MSAR clone)

I would go for an AK or the AUG I am in the market for an AK myself. Sold 2 AR's (kept 1) within days of fondling a AUG. Got an AUG and never looked back my one AR hasn't left the safe since. The bad thing is the AUG is a little out of your price range.

willythewhale

Mar 31, 2013
    calvert co
    If you like spending over $1000 on a stamped gun that should only cost a few chickens then get an ak. I suggest if you have $150-250 then buy a quality ar 10 stripped lower. Parts to complete the rifle are already becoming more available, and the prices will soon come down. You can even buy the parts you need to complete the rifle after October 1st since the lower is the only thing that is regulated. So do you want to spend $1000+ now so you can have a lackluster ak in your hands, or do you want to invest $200 in a stripped lower so in 6 months you can have a high quality ar-10 when the price of uppers, lpks, and bcgs become cheaper and available.

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    If you like spending over $1000 on a stamped gun that should only cost a few chickens then get an ak. I suggest if you have $150-250 then buy a quality ar 10 stripped lower. Parts to complete the rifle are already becoming more available, and the prices will soon come down. You can even buy the parts you need to complete the rifle after October 1st since the lower is the only thing that is regulated. So do you want to spend $1000+ now so you can have a lackluster ak in your hands, or do you want to invest $200 in a stripped lower so in 6 months you can have a high quality ar-10 when the price of uppers, lpks, and bcgs become cheaper and available.

Where can I find a decent ar10 stripped lower for $150-$200. And what brand? I looked a little while ago and they were around $400

ar1131

Jan 31, 2013
    I could also get on a waiting list for a sig ssg3000 for around $1,350 new. It is a .308 but it is bolt action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom