• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feusombre

Dec 28, 2017
    I’m looking to see people’s opinions are on what the best lever action in 44 mag iunder $800?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Depends on use. If you want a gun for field work and to modify for cowboy action a Rossi will do just fine and cost effective.

If you want something with better fit and finish you may want to look at an Uberti or Taylors.

Still on the fence on the current Marlin production, in many ways not that much better than a Rossi where it counts.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've got a stainless Rossi that seems fine. Haven't compared it to anything else, though. None of the others could be found when I was looking. Henry's are lovely, just rather more than I cared to spend.

I did see a Marlin in a shop. The price for a used one made me happy I went with the Rossi.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    I LIKE my Puma SS 44 Mag with 300 to spare from your budget, no issues. If the Henry is anything like the .22 rimfire 001 Henry, pos jamomatic. If you said HP rifle round.... Browning BLR, bar none, .22 LR Marlin 39 or 9422.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    I have a big itch to get a less expensive lever gun as well. I can name quality lever guns above $800 but in the mean time I am just hoping something used or on consignment catches my eye. I have not picked one up and verified this myself but I have heard some bad things about Freedom Group guns and decent things about Rossi for the money. Can anyone offer any insight on the Freedom Group's quality? Though one thing I would grab if money was no issue is the expensive Bighorn Armory .500 S&W Magnum I saw on Hickok45's channel. I can't justify that money right now but some part of my brain in yelling "I want that!"

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    If going with the Rossi 92 series I would recommend a stainless model. They seem to not have the rough action issues that the blued ones do. My experience.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once upon a time at shoot/ hunting partner #2's place we had a .44 lever action theme day . Side by side by side comparison of Browning MIJ M92 , Ruger M96, and Henry . I also did mental comparison with my ( formerly his) Marlin M94 , and my Win M94 in .45Colt .

The answer is there is no "Best" , just different .

All of them can fill the role of a .44mag levergun , but there are significant differences in the feel , handling , and recoil .

Win 92 pattern ( 20in round bbl ) smallest , lightest , best fit fot smaller stature people , or want short LOP on purpose . Also most felt recoil with full power magnums.

The Henry was a pussycat even with full power , but was also heaviest, largest , and longest LOP .

Ruger and Marlin were inbetween , but very different in fit . The Ruger fits more like a "regular" rifle than a traditional leve gun .

I haven't fired one , but octagonal bbl M92 I've fondled have been heavier, and more muzzle heavy, but otherwise same stock fit .

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    If going with the Rossi 92 series I would recommend a stainless model. They seem to not have the rough action issues that the blued ones do. My experience.

My Puma had some rough spots when new 10 years ago, cycle, cycle, cycle and lube. Slicker than snot now, love the action.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Slight derail, but maybe not.

In Maryland and South Central Pa., what shop might have the best selection of lever actions? Somewhere that might have a Rossi, a Marlin and a Henry all under the same roof?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Slight derail, but maybe not.

In Maryland and South Central Pa., what shop might have the best selection of lever actions? Somewhere that might have a Rossi, a Marlin and a Henry all under the same roof?

Maybe Atlantic Guns in Rockville? They are big on cowboy action shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom