• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    At work, I use my knife daily to mainly cut shrink wrap and packing tape etc. I just use a Kershaw, but it dulls very quickly. Its to the point where I could probably get better results using a key. It was recently sharpened too. Any recommendations on a good knife that won't break the bank, but can handle some daily abuse?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Is it really just paper and plastic or does it encounter other things? I would try something with S30V steel or one of the other exotic steels. I mention S30V because you're likely to find a deal on a knife with that steel. Something like S90V appears to be a $200+ proposition.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Its easier to have a spring loaded knife that I can keep in my pocket and not be as long as a full box cutter. I was just curious what was out there.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Is it really just paper and plastic or does it encounter other things? I would try something with S30V steel or one of the other exotic steels. I mention S30V because you're likely to find a deal on a knife with that steel. Something like S90V appears to be a $200+ proposition.

Thanks. I'll definitely look into that. Mostly just plastic. I work after hours with furniture so its always in boxes so tons of tape and shrink wrap. Every so often a piece will have be banded to a skid, but the bands are plastic, not the metal ones.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Plan A - Aquire the skills/ tools to sharpen yourself. Once the desired edge geometry is established, it only takes a few strokes to keep it that way, as long as you maintain the edge before it gets seriously out of shape.

Plan B- Get a replaceable blade utilitu knife. Some of them even resemble lock back folding knives, so you won't look very dorky from 5 feet away. Reserve the Kershaw for mundane pockeknife uses.

Yeah, we could have a neverending discussion about designer steels. But when constantly subjected to industrial packaging material, everything WILL lose an edge, its only a matter of degree. And then the catch 22 of supet hard steels often being a Hillary to resharpen, more so than average everyday mid priced steels.

ponypeddler87

Feb 17, 2013
    St. Marys
    I have an Ontario Rat($30) for work and other similar prices knives. I have a wicked edge sharpener and have no problem keeping an insane edge. S30V is good steel for what you're looking for without breaking the bank I feel.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Buncha posts while I was tapping.

Look , if you WANT to get a bragging quality knife with super steel on purpose, by all means go for it. ( Heck , I started a thread on it.) But if you just want to cut thru a crap load of packaging, use intended tools.

There are utility knives that are the same size as pocket knives, at least some of which have pocket clips. Just about every hardware and auto part store will have at least one. With 10 sec of googling, I found a comparison test by trucktrends dot c , comparison of 6 between $14.99 and $4.99 . Any of the top 5 would be sufficient for your needs, and general usage.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes you can resharpen utility blades. After doing it a cpl times to impress your friends with your mad knife sharpening skills, its not worth the effort.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You can get a spiderco manix 2 in s110v for about $110.

I have one of these, but I also have a contego in cpm-m4. They both have amazing edge retention...but in different ways. The s110v loses its fine razor sharp edge if you breathe on it wrong, but then holds a working "good enough" edge forever. It feels like the edge isn't stable enough to support the carbide volume and breaks down into a toothy, chippy edge with any lateral pressure. The s110v is also a b!tch to sharpen.

In contrast, the m4 is pretty easy to sharpen(with diamond stones). The m4 also holds a razor edge waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than pretty much anything else I've used. The razor edge will slowly dull and then continue slowly dulling through a working edge. It's a much tougher and more stable steel, although it's still very hard and has a good amount of carbides. It also comes back fairly easily with a pass on steel followed by the strop, where the s110v basically needs to hit the stones to bring it back.

The gayle bradley spydercos and the benchmade contegos both come in cpm-m4 at around 62-64 hrc. Either way, you're looking at around $120-200 for a knife...not much for knife people, but it's not as cheap as a box-cutter with a whole sleeve of extra blades for work. There's also a reason people use box-cutters to...umm...cut boxes. Only having a knife blade protrude .5" really helps cut down on damaging whatever is on the other side of the packing tape.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Anything with S90V or M390 steel should work well. Those are some of the best for edge retention. Provided it was heat treated properly. That's a problem with cheaper knives sometimes. Best steel composition in the world isn't worth a shit if not heat treated right. Benchmade Barrage might be a nice choice.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    For the money, a Gerber Gator is a good manual folding knife. Very grippy too.

It's gone through 35 or so Bambis in the past decade. It's only needed an occasional sharpening.

Hair, hide, sternum, and esophagus is a fair amount of abuse. But still holds an edge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom