• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I keep hearing about intimdation, the racking of the slide and accessories.

None of this stuff is important when you have to defend your family. Reliability, dependability and a gun that works the way it should are the only factors that should matter.

I don't have a collapsible stock, pistol grip or heat shield. If someone is in my house, a shell is already racked in the chamber and ready to go.

You are defending your home and your family. You are not showing off for the intruder.

The best shotgun for home defense is the closest one to you.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the one you know how to use proficiently.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the the one you will never have to use.

Couldn't agree more. Of course I still prefer the handgun for home defense, but that follows the same rules.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Pumps are great for HD. In the middle of the night when you load a round it echos through the house.

And that was the last time I tried to sneak into the house without waking my wife first. A phone call letting her know I was on my way home was better then hearing her pumping the shot gun.

Wouldn't a smaller gauge be better then the 12 gauge for a non experienced shooter? My current HD is a 20 gauge youth model 870 with a 24 inch barrel. I think this is a good size shot gun for my little town house.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I keep hearing about intimdation, the racking of the slide and accessories.

None of this stuff is important when you have to defend your family. Reliability, dependability and a gun that works the way it should are the only factors that should matter.

I don't have a collapsible stock, pistol grip or heat shield. If someone is in my house, a shell is already racked in the chamber and ready to go.

You are defending your home and your family. You are not showing off for the intruder.

The best shotgun for home defense is the closest one to you.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the one you know how to use proficiently.
    The best shotgun for home defense is the the one you will never have to use.

14 rds!!!! I think i'm saving up to get one now.

Pumps are great for HD. In the middle of the night when you load a round it echos through the house.

And that was the last time I tried to sneak into the house without waking my wife first. A phone call letting her know I was on my way home was better then hearing her pumping the shot gun.

Wouldn't a smaller gauge be better then the 12 gauge for a non experienced shooter? My current HD is a 20 gauge youth model 870 with a 24 inch barrel. I think this is a good size shot gun for my little town house.

Besides my Glock 22 for HD, I have a Mossberg 500 youth 20 Gauge with a 22 inch barrel primarily for my wife. It holds 5 + 1 and if I can't bring down a bad guy with 5 rounds or less with 000 Buck then I don't deserve to have the gun.

But I will tell you this...I've been shooting shotguns way longer than handguns so bad guy beware!! :gun2:

trippinout

Nov 12, 2008
    Fort Meade
    Have to agree with shooting ANY HD gun. Don't care if its a handgun or shotgun. If you don't become proficient with it, under pressure you will struggle with it.

Wonder what the kick is like with the Keltec shotgun!?

Rmc

Aug 31, 2011
    Two considerations for HD Shotgun:

- You have fired at least 100 rounds with no malfunctions.

- Your quick release/security set up allows you to access the shotgun quickly yet is sufficiently secure that you don't face your own shotgun on returning home!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I'm torn on the whole "rack the slide" thing. If there is someone in my house in the middle of the night, they mean my family harm....period. Even if 95% of BG's will be scared off by the sound of a slide racking, the other 5% will not be, and you have just given away a lot of information:

1. Where you are
    2. You have a shotgun

I would prefer to have the element of surprise. My Mossy 500 has one in the pipe. It is stored with a trigger lock that I put the key in when I go to sleep, and take the key out of when I wake up. If I need it, I quietly walk over to the closet that is 6 feet from my bed, quietly take off the trigger lock, quietly push the safety forward. The wife will be calling 911. My bedroom overlooks the top of the stairs, and I am between me and my kids. If I see the BG, I can have him in my sights from less than 5 feet away. I have the upper hand.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im going to disagree with everyone here on the 870. The Mossberg is a better shotgun IMO.

Heres my reasons:

The 590 is used by the U.S. Armed Services

The finish on current 500/590s dont rust like modern production 870s do

If you need to change parts on a 500/590 no special tools are needed

Safety is ambidextrious on the 500/590

Slide Release is Easier to use/manipulate on the 500/590

500/590 is lighter

500/590 Factory Barrels tend to be a little more affordable sompared to 870

Mossberg has dual extractors for better extraction when fouled

If you have a 500/590 problem anyone can fix one at home, not so much for a 870.

Dented Tube on a 870? Requires a Gunsmith With Soldering Skills
    Dented Tube on a 590? Strap Wrench
    Bad Ejector on a 870? Riveting Jig and a Gunsmith
    Bad Ejector on a 590? Screwdriver
    Worn Lockup on 870? Receiver is toast
    Worn Lockup on a 590? Replace the Barrel
    Worn Feed Latches on a 870? Needs Staking Tool
    Worn Feed Latches on a 590? No Tools

People will say the 870 will have a better action (Smoother) out of the box, but with break in both guns will be equally smooth.

I agree with Blackthorne. The cheap Chinese, Turkish, ect... Shotguns are JUNK. I have worked on them. Parts may LOOK like the cloned models but they arent cross compatible in most cases and if parts to interchange it takes ALOT of fitting.

After people get a shotgun take a SHOTGUN course from an NRA or certified instructior on how to use the weapon safely and effectivelty. Pattern the gun, learn where it shoots and its strengths and weaknesses. Try different loads to be sure it will eat what you feed it.

Once thats done get some dummy rounds and a magpul Shotgun DVD and watch and learn. Take more advanced classes after that because a DVD wont show you where your flaws are like an instructor will.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Im going to disagree with everyone here on the 870. The Mossberg is a better shotgun IMO.

Heres my reasons:

The 590 is used by the U.S. Armed Services

The finish on current 500/590s dont rust like modern production 870s do

If you need to change parts on a 500/590 no special tools are needed

Safety is ambidextrious on the 500/590

Slide Release is Easier to use/manipulate on the 500/590

500/590 is lighter

500/590 Factory Barrels tend to be a little more affordable sompared to 870

Mossberg has dual extractors for better extraction when fouled

If you have a 500/590 problem anyone can fix one at home, not so much for a 870.

Dented Tube on a 870? Requires a Gunsmith With Soldering Skills
    Dented Tube on a 590? Strap Wrench
    Bad Ejector on a 870? Riveting Jig and a Gunsmith
    Bad Ejector on a 590? Screwdriver
    Worn Lockup on 870? Receiver is toast
    Worn Lockup on a 590? Replace the Barrel
    Worn Feed Latches on a 870? Needs Staking Tool
    Worn Feed Latches on a 590? No Tools

People will say the 870 will have a better action (Smoother) out of the box, but with break in both guns will be equally smooth.

I agree with Blackthorne. The cheap Chinese, Turkish, ect... Shotguns are JUNK. I have worked on them. Parts may LOOK like the cloned models but they arent cross compatible in most cases and if parts to interchange it takes ALOT of fitting.

After people get a shotgun take a SHOTGUN course from an NRA or certified instructior on how to use the weapon safely and effectivelty. Pattern the gun, learn where it shoots and its strengths and weaknesses. Try different loads to be sure it will eat what you feed it.

Once thats done get some dummy rounds and a magpul Shotgun DVD and watch and learn. Take more advanced classes after that because a DVD wont show you where your flaws are like an instructor will.

LORD CHAD!!!

I Agree 100% we sell hundreds of "defense" shotguns and hands down people who really shot them and work with them choose the mossberg over the 870 everytime. their are very few problems on a 500/590 you can not fix in the average garage

there is a 590 in my bed room.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    best thing I like about the 500/590 over the 870 is the safety.... if you have the gun pointed at said bad guy the safety is in your line of sight ...ie you know if the weapon is hot or not, w/ the 879 you have to remember in the middle of a panic and fear and confusion if the button pushed through the left is on or off, while in the 590 it's in your line of sight... to me that's the biggest and best reason

Sirex