• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • talyn58

Sep 28, 2022
    Maryland
    I’m looking at either the S&W shield plus or the Canik TP9 sc elite anyone own either of these and do you recommend them.

Pariah

Sep 6, 2022
    Ellicott City, Md
    This is a very personal decision. You should try both and see what works.
    That said...

I have the shield plus OR with about 600 rounds through it so far. I love it. Great trigger, and with the 507k I have mounted on it, it's like it's on easy mode.

But, that's me. There are plenty of folks that will tell you they don't like 'em.

I have absolutely no experience with the TP9, so I can't offer you a comparison. What made you narrow it down to those two? If you don't mind me asking.

talyn58

Sep 28, 2022
    Maryland
    This is a very personal decision. You should try both and see what works.
    That said...

I have the shield plus OR with about 600 rounds through it so far. I love it. Great trigger, and with the 507k I have mounted on it, it's like it's on easy mode.

But, that's me. There are plenty of folks that will tell you they don't like 'em.

I have absolutely no experience with the TP9, so I can't offer you a comparison. What made you narrow it down to those two? If you don't mind me asking.
    To be honest they’re in my price range and they have better triggers Imo, I also liked the Glock 19 but it was a bit more expensive and I don’t like the trigger on it even though I know I could swap it out I don’t feel like putting the extra money into it right now.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have a canik elite combat, the trigger is great and the gun has never choked. I have heard no issues with the caniks beyond a one or two minor complaint. But personally the slides are thick, a little too thick for CCW if you ask me. ( more below )

I have shot a shield plus, but them seem to have a good rep.

I personally carry a sig 365, and I would say look at the 365xl, as the 365 is a little gun that is not the easiest to shoot fast/well.

My big gun that I carry is a walther p99 ( when I need more than the sig ), about the same slide thickness as the canik so it can be done.

I personally also love carrying my 1911 cco with an aluminum frame, because I shoot it damn well, but it only holds 8 rounds in a mag so its not a normal carry item.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I personally carry a sig 365, and I would say look at the 365xl, as the 365 is a little gun that is not the easiest to shoot fast/well.
    I carry a P365 and also have a P365X. If the OP is looking at Micro 9s, they are worth checking out. I keep 10 in the carry gun with a spare 12 round mag handy.

The X has the same length slide, but a slightly longer grip. I like shooting the X better, because I like the slightly longer grip, but the regular P365 hides a little better because the area where the grip is a little shorter and tapered is the spot the X prints. If you put the 12 round mag with the P365-style baseplate, it is almost the same length as the X.

The XL has the slightly longer grip of the X, but the slide is 0.6" longer. I have an XL slide assembly that fits both P365s and it's slightly easier to shoot well, but the added length makes it less comfy to carry for me.

DFresh64

KnuklDragr
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2022
    AA County
    P365x Macro or S&W M&P 2.0

Both small enough to carry in any position and for me personally I like a manual safety for EDC so S&W for me

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I know the Macro is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the ported slide makes it a no-go for me and CCW.

If the pistol has to be fired in close, the jets of gas from the port can be a problem. One class I attended had me firing just as the gun cleared the holster and the top of the slide is too close to my body & face to want a ported gun.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know the Macro is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the ported slide makes it a no-go for me and CCW.

If the pistol has to be fired in close, the jets of gas from the port can be a problem. One class I attended had me firing just as the gun cleared the holster and the top of the slide is too close to my body & face to want a ported gun.
    Was it a true ported gun with holes in the barrel too? The porting on the P320 Sigs have the cuts angled forward away. I have had no issues with my 365 comp side.
    The instructor should have had you cant/twist the pistol 45 degrees or so (Not straight up and down). Like imagine resting the bottom of the handgrip on your pelvis.
    True ported pistols are a poor choice because you can also get some shredding off the bullet blow up through the holes into your face.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Was it a true ported gun with holes in the barrel too? The porting on the P320 Sigs have the cuts angled forward away. I have had no issues with my 365 comp side.
    No, I never trained with a ported gun. Glad/surprised to hear that yours works for that. Seems like just the blast would be ugly. Your 365 is a top-ported/XL length slide with the 3.1" barrel?
    The instructor should have had you cant/twist the pistol 45 degrees or so (Not straight up and down). Like imagine resting the bottom of the handgrip on your pelvis.
    That's pretty much what we were doing; draw/lift the pistol, rock the muzzle up & forward, lean the gun away and fire. Heel of firing hand ends up just about touching the hipbone/muffintop area for the first shot, subsequent shots get more and more extended until you're actually seeing the sights.
    True ported pistols are a poor choice because you can also get some shredding off the bullet blow up through the holes into your face.
    Understood.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

I thought the same however, in reality it didn't effect ME at all. When I fire just out of the holster, I cant the gun close to 45 degress. The concussion on the face feels about the same maybe a little more, but nothing that is a deal breaker to me.

One downside of ported slide that i never thought of, is it gets hot fast. If you are shooting lots of rounds fast make sure to not miss the holster especially if no sweat guard LOL

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I guess I failed to get mine with a thumb safety then. Wish I looked around more. I was just too anxious seeing the LGS had one and got it (Even before it was on the roster from what I read on a post here also)
    The thumb safety can be retro-fitted. Takes 15 minutes or less once you've done it once.

There is a kit available containing the safety, spring and detent. It is quite easy to install, if you can manage the tiny spring/detent parts.

The grip module has to be replaced or modified to provide a cutout to clear the safety's cross-shaft. Modification (a small notch on each side) is easy and there are actually marks inside the grip module showing where to remove material.

Over at SigTalk, used grip modules are readily available for about half the cost of new ($30-35 shipped) and that's the way I'd go. This would enable keeping the original grip module unmodified and returning the gun to its original configuration if desired.

Osage County Guns had the basic safety kit in stock when I bought mine, but have recently been out. If you want one, sign up for their notifications. They also sell a kit that includes the 'safety-style' grip module for either the P365 or P365X/XL.

Be advised that Sig says this (any) modification to the FCU voids the warranty, but if the gun needs to be returned, just pop the safety back out and put the OEM grip module back on.

Having said ALL that, I returned mine to a non-safety version within about a week. I didn't like the safety location due to being an old 1911 guy and the safety lever isn't positioned where I'm comfy with it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I guess I failed to get mine with a thumb safety then. Wish I looked around more. I was just too anxious seeing the LGS had one and got it (Even before it was on the roster from what I read on a post here also)

The thumb safety can be retro-fitted. Takes 15 minutes or less once you've done it once.

There is a kit available containing the safety, spring and detent. It is quite easy to install, if you can manage the tiny spring/detent parts.

The grip module has to be replaced or modified to provide a cutout to clear the safety's cross-shaft. Modification (a small notch on each side) is easy and there are actually marks inside the grip module showing where to remove material.

Over at SigTalk, used grip modules are readily available for about half the cost of new ($30-35 shipped) and that's the way I'd go. This would enable keeping the original grip module unmodified and returning the gun to its original configuration if desired.

Osage County Guns had the basic safety kit in stock when I bought mine, but have recently been out. If you want one, sign up for their notifications. They also sell a kit that includes the 'safety-style' grip module for either the P365 or P365X/XL.

Be advised that Sig says this (any) modification to the FCU voids the warranty, but if the gun needs to be returned, just pop the safety back out and put the OEM grip module back on.

Having said ALL that, I returned mine to a non-safety version within about a week. I didn't like the safety location due to being an old 1911 guy and the safety lever isn't positioned where I'm comfy with it.
    As Ed said, very easy to retrofit.

I like very light triggers, so in a carry gun I like the safety. I've spent years with USPs etc, so am used to a thumb safety.

Objee

Oct 3, 2013
    P365x Macro or S&W M&P 2.0

Both small enough to carry in any position and for me personally I like a manual safety for EDC so S&W for me
    Not all of them have a safety. I carry a S&W Shield 2.0 every day in a WTP IWB holster, no manual safety. I barely notice it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom