Best Caliber AR in your opinion is......

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    My .223 Ar runs steel cased ammo just fine, really like shooting the 458 Socom but it does get pricey.
    Would love to get a 5.7 upper

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Don't put a slide fire on a 9mm AR. You are going to experience out of battery fire. If you are lucky, you will just blow the mag out of the gun and feel stuff bounce off your safety glasses. I have seen this happen twice, and would never attempt it.

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    Don't put a slide fire on a 9mm AR. You are going to experience out of battery fire. If you are lucky, you will just blow the mag out of the gun and feel stuff bounce off your safety glasses. I have seen this happen twice, and would never attempt it.

i don't think enough people know about this, it may be thread worthy.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County

Why does this happen to 9mm ARs? If you don't mind me asking.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Why does this happen to 9mm ARs? If you don't mind me asking.

The design of the bolt assembly does this. The pistol calibers do not have a rotating bolt and do not have a shrouded firing pin. When the hammer releases out of time on a rifle caliber AR, the firing pin is shrouded preventing a strike to the pin, until the bolt is at least partially engaged in the barrel lugs. The slide fire, or any other means of bump firing, can easily release the hammer before the action is in battery. With a rifle caliber, that will normally just mean a light strike and misfire. With a pistol caliber it fires before the bolt is fully forward. I have since thrown them away, but I had some casings in the shop I saved from a bump firing 9mm AR, and it was scary. I honestly don't like the bump firing idea, as even a 5.56 can fire before fully engaged. It isn't as likely, but could result in damage to the bolt and barrel extension. It could also result in injury.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The design of the bolt assembly does this. The pistol calibers do not have a rotating bolt and do not have a shrouded firing pin. When the hammer releases out of time on a rifle caliber AR, the firing pin is shrouded preventing a strike to the pin, until the bolt is at least partially engaged in the barrel lugs. The slide fire, or any other means of bump firing, can easily release the hammer before the action is in battery. With a rifle caliber, that will normally just mean a light strike and misfire. With a pistol caliber it fires before the bolt is fully forward. I have since thrown them away, but I had some casings in the shop I saved from a bump firing 9mm AR, and it was scary. I honestly don't like the bump firing idea, as even a 5.56 can fire before fully engaged. It isn't as likely, but could result in damage to the bolt and barrel extension. It could also result in injury.

Precisely why I spent way too much on an autosear.

nyc71

May 14, 2012
    From what I own chambered in AR:
    22lr
    9mm
    5.45x39
    7.62x39
    6.8 spc
    7.62 NATO
    .458 SOCOM
    My pick is 6.8 because it provides a balance between round capacity & stopping power.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    How about 5.56x45mm NATO? I mean that's what it was designed for...

The only other caliber I will own in the AR platform is .300-221/.300 Whisper/.300 AAC Blackout. I have no need for a semi-auto .308 Win and it would be a toss-up between a SCAR and LaRue Tactical OBR if I wanted one.

9mm is probably cool in an AR but I'd rather have an MP5 or clone.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    How about 5.56x45mm NATO? I mean that's what it was designed for...

The only other caliber I will own in the AR platform is .300-221/.300 Whisper/.300 AAC Blackout. I have no need for a semi-auto .308 Win and it would be a toss-up between a SCAR and LaRue Tactical OBR if I wanted one.

9mm is probably cool in an AR but I'd rather have an MP5 or clone.

.302 Yoda is the new hotness.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Or 6.5 fans.

I think Forrest is a fan of both.

got a ar in .260 rem, Love it! it hits hard, shoots flat and is easy to reload for not over the top crazy like some of the other ar rounds, price wise.

Last edited:

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    6mm Hagar now that brass is available. Used by Carl Bernosky to win the national championships several times. It is the design of John Harrison who is a Maryland resident. It is flat shooting and has outstanding accuracy and velocity from an AR platform. Is now listed in Creedmoor Sports catalog. Hornady plans to make this a factory round in the not too distant future but for now, it is still handload only.

rml33

May 14, 2011
    Edgewater
    Depends on the purpose. All the rounds have a reason for being around. Cost tends to be the biggest issue why people stick with the5.56 or 5.45. I wouldn't shoot an elk with those though. Kinda liking the rock river that takes 7.62x39 ak mags. Supposedly doesn't have the feeding issues of the normal lowers. I am intersted in that. My favorite barring cost is 6.8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom