• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle17

Dec 31, 2008
    Millersville
    So I just purchased my first 5.56 suppressor for my SPR. I was wondering if there are any advantages for using any specific type of BCG's when shooting suppressed like the NiB Fail Zero? I heard that NiB coated bcg's are more reliable than regular bcg's in suppressed firearms because they require less lube. Is this true?

Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Best BCG for suppressor use?? One that's in spec and doesn't cost you too much.

IMO, the coating isn't going to matter if you're running it lubed as you should.

LAW683

Nov 1, 2011
    ADAM ARMS LOW PROFILE NIB COATED PISTON BCG SUPPRESSED WITH 800 ROUNDS THRU IT ONE AFTERNOON LAST MONTH WAS CLEANER AN EASIER TO CLEAN THEN MY BRAVO CO BCG DI SYSTEM WITH ONLY 1 MAG THRU IT NOT SUPRESSED.

I HAVE NOW SWITCHED ALL OF MY RIFLES BUT 1 TO PISTON SYSTEMS AND MICRO SLICKED THE UPPERS FOR FLAWLESS USE AND STUPID EASY CLEANING.

THE ONE I HAVENT SWITCHED IS A 16IN 300 BLACKOUT. RUNNING A STANDARD BCG SUPPRESSED I WAS HAVING ALOT OF ISSUES. I HAVE SINCE SWITCHED TO A RADICAL FIREARMS TITANIUM NITRIDE BCG AND CERAKOTED UPPER AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY OF THE SAME ISSUES.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Young Mfg Chrome Bolt Group or a BCM Phosphated Bolt Group. I prefer the chromed Young units. The only problem is they don't stake the gas key, but if you buy from Ranier they are staked.

The first ARs had plated bolt groups for a reason. Look at the most innovative MFG with ARs and they use chrome bolts too (Knights). For the most part fully chromed bolts were scrapped for cost reasons. There were issues with embrittlement on plated extractors, and the coating on the bolt heads had issues because of corrosion under the chrome. That was over 50 years ago, it does not happen on Young Chrome bolts.

Nickle Boron, Nitrided, and all of the other marketed coatings have not shown me in the long term that they are a worthwhile coating. I even liked NiB and suggested it at one point but after high round count, suppressor use, seizing up on the gas rings if not kept lubed, and the fact that they don't clean up that well either has made me personally abandon their use.

Use a Young Bolt Group on a suppressed AR after using other coatings and you'll fall in love them. Young Chrome Bolt Groups and Geissele triggers are fantastic additions to the AR, suppressed or unsuppressed.

I will say that adjustable gas is way more important than a chromed bolt if you are going to suppress the gun. SLR Rifleworks makes the best one IMO.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Young Mfg Chrome Bolt Group or a BCM Phosphated Bolt Group. I prefer the chromed Young units. The only problem is they don't stake the gas key, but if you buy from Ranier they are staked.

The first ARs had plated bolt groups for a reason. Look at the most innovative MFG with ARs and they use chrome bolts too (Knights). For the most part fully chromed bolts were scrapped for cost reasons. There was issues with embrittlement on plated extractors, and the coating on the bolt heads had issues because of corrosion under the chrome.

Nickle Boron, Nitrided, and all of the other marketed coatings have not shown me in the long term that they are a worthwhile coating. I even liked NiB and suggested it at one point but after high round count, suppressor use, seizing up on the gas rings if not kept lubed, and the fact that they don't clean up that well either has made me personally abandon their use.

Use a Young Bolt Group on a suppressed AR after using other coatings and you'll fall in love them. Young Chrome Bolt Groups and Geissele triggers are fantastic additions to the AR, suppressed or unsuppressed.

I will say that adjustable gas is way more important than a chromed bolt if you are going to suppress the gun. SLR Rifleworks makes the best one IMO.

As usual good info. How hard is it to change to an adjustable gas block? Also, have any experience with the so called Gas Buster CH?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As usual good info. How hard is it to change to an adjustable gas block? Also, have any experience with the so called Gas Buster CH?

Each barrel/gas block combo is different. Some are easy to remove, some are hard.

The installation is easy. SLR even dimples the set screw models so you can drill it with a cordless drill and pin it.

Gas buster is a great charging handle but its probably not necessary with adjustable gas because you will meter the gas flow to the minimum and you won't get much, if any gas at all to the face.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I have a gas buster charging handle, but still got the "black streak" on my face. I started doing the rtv silicone mod on normal charging handles, and it works much better. The gas that comes out the back is not high pressure or burning you in in my experience. It ismore of an annoyance to have a black streak on your face after shooting. There is the possibility of breathing more vaporized lead this way too.

To answer your initial question...

I use standard M-16 BCG's in all of my ARs. I have used SLiP products for years exclusively for cleaning and lubrication. While shooting suppressed gets the inside of the weapon dirtier than the pits of hell, it doesn't take an extreme amount of time to clean.

Just drop the disasembled bcg in a jar of carbon killer while cleaning the rest of the rifle, rinse/wipe off the bcg parts, lube and reassemble weapon, function check, and youre good to go.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I looked but couldn't find any info on the rtf silicone mod. What is it? I have a Young's chrome BCG I bought for my M16. Going to use a Spikes mid length upper I bought. I did get one of the gas buster CH's but have not used any of this yet. Maybe a little inside this winter then outside when it gets warm. Sounds like I still need to get and adjustable gas block.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    First, to answer OP - I think NIB is can be worse than standard, if it starts to flake off. Nothing wrong with a good BCG from LMT, DD, Colt, BCM etc.

I just bought an NP3 BCG for a new build, but only because it was on sale and for shits.

What about the LMT enhanced carrier? I hear it was designed for over gassed carbine systems and helps slow down the cyclic rate with a suppressor.

Sounds like AAC and Lantac also have "enhanced" style carriers that also modify the cam pin track.

EDIT: The more I read about the LMT e-carrier the more I am confused. I do know the cam pin track is changed, which lowers chamber pressure when the case is finally extracted. You can see the difference in cam track with your eyes. But I am also reading that it INCREASES the bolt speed, so it should increase cyclic rate...

IMHO - If you are looking for the ultimate soft shooting Suppressed SBR - Adjustable gas block (which I don't run yet) + Vltor A5 system

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What about the LMT enhanced carrier? I hear it was designed for over gassed carbine systems and helps slow down the cyclic rate with a suppressor.

Sounds like AAC and Lantac also have "enhanced" style carriers that also modify the cam pin track.

They will help in very limited circumstances IMO. They dont cover a wide enough range to make them a cost effective upgrade. Different ammo produces different results as does suppressor efficiency. Gas System length, gas port size, buffer springing, buffer weight and overall gas system efficiency are factors.

With the broad range of parts, suppressors, and ammo on the civilian market the only thing that can address this wide range of performance is an adjustable gas block. IMO the only ones worth using are click adjustable as they give setting and feedback.

Now if you only use military ammo or tailor your gun for you load and suppressor combo, they can be beneficial but the value is in the eye of the user.

Furthermore unless its a match gun, the gas block should be pinned for durability.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Provided that you have a quality BCG, just add more lube if you're going to suppress it. Add more as needed, and don't be shy about having a wet gun.

Wet gun is like a wet gal, happy. :D

They will help in very limited circumstances IMO. They dont cover a wide enough range to make them a cost effective upgrade. Different ammo produces different results as does suppressor efficiency. Gas System length, gas port size, buffer springing, buffer weight and overall gas system efficiency are factors.

With the broad range of parts, suppressors, and ammo on the civilian market the only thing that can address this wide range of performance is an adjustable gas block. IMO the only ones worth using are click adjustable as they give setting and feedback.

Now if you only use military ammo or tailor your gun for you load and suppressor combo, they can be beneficial but the value is in the eye of the user.

Furthermore unless its a match gun, the gas block should be pinned for durability.

Even adjustable gas blocks? What if it fouls...or is that possibility low?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Wet gun is like a wet gal, happy. :D

Even adjustable gas blocks? What if it fouls...or is that possibility low?

There's only 3 Adjustable Gas Blocks I would use and they all have click adjustments or a manifold plate. None of the ones below have ever fouled and ended up on my bench.

The MMOA Govnah, SLR, and SYRAC are the 3 best IMO. I prefer the SLR design the best, the Adjuster is melonited, its easy to service, and the set screw model is dimpled to make pinning possible without a gunsmith or a Jig.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    There's only 3 Adjustable Gas Blocks I would use and they all have click adjustments or a manifold plate. None of the ones below have ever fouled and ended up on my bench.

The MMOA Govnah, SLR, and SYRAC are the 3 best IMO. I prefer the SLR design the best, the Adjuster is melonited, its easy to service, and the set screw model is dimpled to make pinning possible without a gunsmith or a Jig.

And in your opinion these are necessary? Modern carbines are so overgassed anyway, you think there's enough increased wear to warrant turning the gas down and tuning for suppressed use?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    And in your opinion these are necessary? Modern carbines are so overgassed anyway, you think there's enough increased wear to warrant turning the gas down and tuning for suppressed use?

Overgassing in regards to replacement parts and breakage no, they are not worth it.

In regards to reduced recoil, which means I can shoot much faster and put stuff on target faster in a defensive AR (non competition based gun) yes it is worth it IMO. Less gas to the face means I can shoot more comfortably suppressed without my eyes burning from the gas and if necessary, in a pinch, shoot without shooting glasses. Most importantly the gun will run more reliably assuming I know the proper setting for the ammunition I'm using. An overgassed gun has a higher chance of extraction issues, stuck casings, popped primers, and double feeds (this usually only applies with a magaine that's about to poo the bed).

Air density also changes in cold weather which means an adjustable gas system allows you to open the flow up more if needed. With a fixed gas system your only option is hotter ammo or carrying a box of lighter buffers and possibly action springs.

For 99/100AR users these points don't really matter, but they do to me and some others. My way is just my way, people can take from my experience or they can discard it. I share my passion for the AR with anyone who seeks knowledge. Its a wonderful system but requires some understanding on its limits. With certain configurations those limits are eliminated, thus the reasons for me sharing my experience.

Having success with adjustable gas is dependent on having a gas port that is large enough to allow sufficient flow for a wide variety of ammo, suppressed combinations and climate conditions. As you said most modern ARs are obergassed so the user can use a wider variety of ammo without issues. Even companies like noveske and DD drill the ports rather large. This satisfies the larger group of shooters who don't know better, and eliminates calls saying the gun won't run on cheap ammo. The more experienced AR enthusiast does not want a massive gas port in most cases, especially if they plan to suppress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom