• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Why would they make the colt version regulated? I pretty much hate this state's retarded gun laws and regulations. Makes me want to change my residency on paper to Virginia.
    I think if the .22 AR is a real AR with a 22 upper it is not cash and carry. Possibly until they had a copy to look at they put it on the NFA list until they could see that it could not take a centerfire upper. And remember everything from a foreign builder is "suspect" until proven otherwise. With the S&W the maker told them the takedown pin spacing was different so it could not be upgraded to a real AR.

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    My 15-22. Thanks to those on this thread for helping me make this decision. Sweet, sweet gun! I love it!

Nice looking rifle there! I was talking with a guy who picked up a 15-22 recently at a show and said was a great shooter with no problems. Ammo is an issue in that 22lr ammo is hard to find and makes him think twice about shooting! With a rifle that nice, meant to be shot, please make sure you find the time to shoot it! :party29:

By the way, what is the glass on the rifle?

Sundancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Harford County
    ok you guys talked me into the sw15-22 as my first rifle. now if i can convince the wife. ill be in good shape

Either you get now and ask forgiveness later (heard you can buy them for less than $450 (not sure where on the BS meter) OR you can try the "investment" route. Not trying to be dense here, but, if the economy tanks or SHTF, firearms and ammo become tradeable commodities. They are viewed by many to be a good store of value in a recession/depression - better than the greenback because they keep printing greenbacks.... Plus everything I ever read about "must have guns" almost always has a 22lr. So tell her after the purchase that it was a "must have" "investment" to help preserve your family's future purchasing power!
    :D

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Except the Colt uses a totally different trigger group, and the mag well is blocked. So between them, you can't put a .223 upper on one.

But supposedly you can with the S&W.

On the smith you can swap in a regular AR trigger group, as for the upper, nope, doesn't interchange

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Finished my 22LR AR upper tonight.

8705165561_339a0ea2c6_z.jpg

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I just got my 15-22, it is sweet! I also have 2 Ruger 10/22s, and have no issues with those either. Both platforms initially seem to accurate and reliable. I have had failures to fire with both. appears to be ammo related, as both place a nice hard strike on the rim.

The 15-22 operates more like an AR. Both in function and feel. It actually has more kick than the 10/22 which when you understand how both work, makes perfect sense. I think they were actually going for that. I like that Smith has sights exactly like my ARs. When I shoot my Rugers, I have to re-think the sight picture, it is not as intuitive. I know there are AR type sights available and I may go that way.

Now something I always like to throw in, is the left handed perspective. Both the Ruger and the Smith throw powder on my right arm. Neither gun throws brass in my face, and the Smith has the deflector. The Smith did throw some burning powder on my face at least once or twice out of 100 rounds. This was Federal which is typically better than Winchester white box.

C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    Not much mention with the Sig522. That is a great gun and a little more reliable than the 15-22. Eats more types of ammo and takes all AR convertion Mags. Black dogs work well.

The unfortunate thing is I have seen 15-22's recently, I haven't seen a 522 in a while plus to price when up.

When I got mine is was $500 with 2 Barrels (16" carbine and a longer Bull Barrel)

That deal is no more :(

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Not much mention with the Sig522. That is a great gun and a little more reliable than the 15-22. Eats more types of ammo and takes all AR convertion Mags. Black dogs work well.

The unfortunate thing is I have seen 15-22's recently, I haven't seen a 522 in a while plus to price when up.

When I got mine is was $500 with 2 Barrels (16" carbine and a longer Bull Barrel)

That deal is no more :(

Probably because the OP specifically said AR. But I do enjoy my 522, got a 20" barrel as well. Also still waiting for 10" factory sbr and suppresor to be approved. Like that the bdms work with my AR and 522s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom