• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Since I am on a gun buying roll and anticipate that "Collectors Status" sometime in the next month or two I want to put a pocket gun on layaway.

Anyone have Beretta tomcat, the fit finish and weight seem to fit me but I have heard bad news about the reliability chime in.

I was thinking Kel-Tec but have been bitten by a Kel-Tec Sub2000 that will not ingite UMC ammo (but apparently all others) so I am a little wary of the plasto pistol.

Dont think I could afford a Khar Mk9 (thought I found a used one in a local shop but it turned out to be a larger k9).

So what are your thoughts, whats your favorite pocket pistol.

derrickonline

Sep 22, 2008
    Take a look at a Ruger LCP. I pick mine up from the 10-day wait next week. Good reviews but still a little early to tell as far as reliability. I saw them online and ordered one after researching. I could see it was small...but when I went to my local FFL to do the paperwork and wait 10 days....damn was that thing TINY and light. It could fit in your shirt pocket and wouldn't even stick out. Talk about a pocket gun.

I originally bought my Bersa Thunder .380 to be my pocket/conceal carry piece but the LCP really surprised me when I saw how tiny it was. Check it out.

The Gnome

Apr 21, 2008
    I have a NAA in 32NAA. It is a .380 necked down to a .32. It throws a little bullet very fast.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Take a look at a Ruger LCP. I pick mine up from the 10-day wait next week. Good reviews but still a little early to tell as far as reliability. I saw them online and ordered one after researching. I could see it was small...but when I went to my local FFL to do the paperwork and wait 10 days....damn was that thing TINY and light. It could fit in your shirt pocket and wouldn't even stick out. Talk about a pocket gun.

I originally bought my Bersa Thunder .380 to be my pocket/conceal carry piece but the LCP really surprised me when I saw how tiny it was. Check it out.

The LCP is nice, but not a range gun.
    I put about 25 rounds though it and I am done, it is really uncomfortable to shoot.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you are looking to carry it, and possibly use it for defense, there are few pistols out that can top the PM9, it is a small and light pocket gun, but has a good trigger, good sights, and not only chambered in an effective and inexpensive caliber, but it is actually pleasant to shoot. The price is steep, but it is definitely worth the premium. The LCP is smaller, rougher, harder to shoot, and is chambered in a less effective, but much more expensive caliber, although they can be fun in their own right.

If it is merely something to play around with at the range, go with the bobcat, it is a true pocket gun, chambered in 22, is well made, and pleasant to shoot. For no good reason, pocket gun calibers can be extremely expensive, much more so than duty calibers, and are normally hard to find, if you are looking to just shoot paper with it, the price of ammo is a big turn off, however if you are looking to carry it, a larger more effective caliber can be had in small pocket guns like the PM9.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The Tomcat has had durability problems. People who have had them report that they work and then, suddenly, they begin malfunctioning. Often when they've checked under a strong light and a powerful magnifier, they'll find a hairline crack. I don't know why they've never made a redesign on those guns. Seems like Beretta has a problem admitting problems.

I have a Jetfire 950 and a 21 (.22LR). Both are very nice little guns. I haven't test fired the .22 yet, but may soon. Come to think of it, I haven't fired this particular 950. Both of mine are stainless, but my other 950s worked just fine. I've also heard that the 21s need the right ammo, which is CCI.

One .22LR I have that's quite good is the Jennings J-22. It'll go through about six clips full of ammo and then begin jamming. A quick cleaning restores it to perfect reliability. I also have a larger David P32 that I've never fired. Apparently neither of the last two guns can be sold or transferred in Maryland because they're made from zinc. I yearn for the days when the government wasn't in everyone's business. Crime rates were lower and courts were more responsible.

Beretta21A_950.jpg

Beretta 950 (left) and 21.

Jennings.jpg

Jennings J-22, reliable and accurate.

Beretta32TomcatINOX.jpg

Beretta Tomcat 32 ACP.

DAVIS_380_1.jpg

Davis P-32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads