• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    There were several issues with teh MSP issued weapons. First, the magazines would not drop free and when fully loaded, the mags had to be literally slammed in for them to lock in place. Too many officers in qualifying would shoot and have the mag shoot out of the mag well after firing the first round. So there were rotated back to Beretta for service. Now the problem was that when the mag was slammed home in the mag well, the mag plate would fall off and the rounds would fall out on the ground. Another issue is that the feed ramp is plastic with just a piece of metal embedded in the ramp for the rounds to slide against. I have seen more than one PX4 where the lip of the feed ramp is chipped. One of the Troopers I work with said he had 3 failure to feed instances during his last qualifying session.

I am sorry but I think the PX4 is a bad platform and is so poorly designed that they can not make modifications to it, only do a complete redesign.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    So I have owned a 40 PX4 and still own a 9mm version. I sold the 40 to buy something for an AR, but never had a single problem with it. It did not have the trigger sting and had zero problems. I ran well over 1500 rounds through it. My 9mm PX4 is probably still my favorite poly handgun over my FNP and Glock. It is SMOOTH. Its comfortable, accurate, and problem free with 1500 or so rounds through it. The mags function fine and I have never had one drop. I don't get all the fuss over why people think PX4s suck. I love mine.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    To see how I feel about them, look left
    <---
    then look at my username

I love mine. I love beretta products. I like the 92s, too. glad i have a storm. I'll be looking at a px4 storm compact in 9mm if i ever get a carry license.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Redneck and Storm40 - as it was said in the thread I referenced previously, you guys are using them as range guns, not as true duty weapons. Night and day difference between how a range gun and a duty weapon get treated.

Not saying they're junk, but if they're not holding up as DUTY weapons, then it's time to move on to something else.

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    I don't have any knowledge on reliability other than what I have read here and I don't own one, but I have shot the PX4 in .40 a few times at the range. I thought it performed well. It does have a high bore axis, but it eats up the snap of the .40 very nicely, was accurate and fit my hands well.. I thought about buying one for a while the only thing that stopped me was needing to look more into the issues others were having - and I never really did that. I like it, sucks there may be issues with it.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Redneck and Storm40 - as it was said in the thread I referenced previously, you guys are using them as range guns, not as true duty weapons. Night and day difference between how a range gun and a duty weapon get treated.

Not saying they're junk, but if they're not holding up as DUTY weapons, then it's time to move on to something else.
    if'n'I ever get to carry, this'll be my carry gun (unless i can afford that compact 9mm).

no, it isn't a duty weapon. still, they're not exactly crap either. I really haven't found a handgun I like to shoot as much as a beretta (or taurus clone). i've shot several different manufacturers, beretta's just feel right to me. To each their own.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I had a PX4 .40, was a good gun. Only thing I didn't like was the long grip they put on it to get the 14 round mag to fit, but otherwise was very nice. I had an early one, never had any trigger sting issues.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    if'n'I ever get to carry, this'll be my carry gun (unless i can afford that compact 9mm).

no, it isn't a duty weapon. still, they're not exactly crap either. I really haven't found a handgun I like to shoot as much as a beretta (or taurus clone). i've shot several different manufacturers, beretta's just feel right to me. To each their own.

To be fair I never said it was crap, for those that have owned and shot them and have had no issues, great - enjoy them as the fine handguns you have experienced them to be, I mean that genuinely. :party29:

We all have our own preferences, part of the joy of firearms, we get to play around with diff't ones till we find that one that suits us the best. ;)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Go glock boss..........A hogue grip changes the grip completly and makes it feel like a different gun.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    cz75 in 40, try one of those. very nice

I have one your welcome to try when I get back from vacation.

In fact I'll bring pretty much everything on your list minus the PX4

Glock 17
    CZ75B .40
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger 9mm
    S&W M59

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm supplying a 96D.

Other than that, all of mine are in a man's caliber - .45 ACP and .357 Mag :D

Hi-Power's a 9mm, but that's a JMB design, so it's not subject to the caliber pissing match. :lol2:

Dean5791

Remington Fan
    Mar 25, 2010
    I own one in a .40 S&W and I think that too many of us just keep spreading rumors. Either you've shot one or you haven't. Either you own one or you don't.
    I've had it for a year now and no issue whatsoever in the quality area. Shoots well, recoil is moderate for a .40s and no quality issues at all. zero misfeeds, zero jams, zero failures of anykind and zero magazine issues. Finish is good and grip is average to good.

The only thing I dislike is the external safety (if you use it). I find it a bit hard to disengage with the thumb. Beretta could have made this part more ergonomic.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    My dislike comes from shooting one and handling one at an old job. I liked the 9x-m9 series much more. Trigger felt horrible to me, seemed very sloppy. The pistol had a cheap feel to me. I dont care for its bulk either. Its like the ugly sibling to the 92.

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    The only thing I dislike is the external safety (if you use it). I find it a bit hard to disengage with the thumb. Beretta could have made this part more ergonomic.
    I agree with you - I'm strongly considering having my safety converted to de-cocker only if it ever becomes my carry gun (side note - Come On Judge Legg!)

I bought it with the safety not knowing squat about the ramifications of a manual safety on a defensive handgun. It sure made me feel all warm and fuzzy when I got it, though ;)

whatevah

Unregistered User
    Mar 17, 2012
    Wilmington, DE
    I agree with you - I'm strongly considering having my safety converted to de-cocker only if it ever becomes my carry gun (side note - Come On Judge Legg!)

I bought it with the safety not knowing squat about the ramifications of a manual safety on a defensive handgun. It sure made me feel all warm and fuzzy when I got it, though ;)

I read the "how to" for that on berettaforum. Surprisingly easy! I might do that in a few months after I have my CC permits, but for now I'm fine with the extra step since it stays in my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom