• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rh92

Mar 2, 2013
    Rockville
    My bet is that they will move to VA in a matter of time. As mentioned, they have contracts with LE organizations found mostly in the Mid-Atlantic region so it would help serve them.

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    They certainly cannot openly admit this as their plan.

Just my opinion, but I think they must be careful politically with regard to their federal and other law enforcement contracts. Probably a smart business decision to play things "close to the vest". Washington DC is nothing but a huge web of deceit. I hope they end up moving out of Maryland completely. However, if I were the CEO, and this was my plan, I wouldn't be laying it all out for scrutiny right now.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So far as Beretta goes, to me it doesn't really matter. I have yet to find a Beretta product that catches my interest enough to make me want it over something else on my list.

Of course I'm sure I'm partially biased against them because I detest the M-9 the Army uses.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    So far as Beretta goes, to me it doesn't really matter. I have yet to find a Beretta product that catches my interest enough to make me want it over something else on my list.

Of course I'm sure I'm partially biased against them because I detest the M-9 the Army uses.

What are your gripes with the M9? I have noticed over a few years of working in gun stores... and now for Beretta that nearly everyone who hates it has served in the military lol.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What are your gripes with the M9? I have noticed over a few years of working in gun stores... and now for Beretta that nearly everyone who hates it has served in the military lol.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

I can't answer for him, but my USCG vet self hates it. It's clunky, heavy and has a poor trigger. It's an outdated design. The 1911 was a classic. The Glock and Sig are modern masterpieces. The M92 is a compromise to use NATO 9mm.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I can't answer for him, but my USCG vet self hates it. It's clunky, heavy and has a poor trigger. It's an outdated design. The 1911 was a classic. The Glock and Sig are modern masterpieces. The M92 is a compromise to use NATO 9mm.

I disagree with the poor trigger comment, but it is clunky and heavy. And it was designed back in the 70s so yeah, by now it's a little dated but still effective.

I know they are capable of pretty good accuracy, are easy to use and hold up reasonably well to abuse. I know the military guys give them a bad rap, but a lot of the M9s in inventory are beat to hell and not always maintained correctly.

I think the HK45 was destined to be the next service pistol until the JSP was cancelled. No one can deny the durability, reliability and accuracy of the HK45, it's truly a beast.

But, the Army just ordered a few hundred thousand more M9s which is good for Beretta, and they'll be cranking them out in droves forthwith.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I disagree with the poor trigger comment, but it is clunky and heavy. And it was designed back in the 70s so yeah, by now it's a little dated but still effective.

I know they are capable of pretty good accuracy, are easy to use and hold up reasonably well to abuse. I know the military guys give them a bad rap, but a lot of the M9s in inventory are beat to hell and not always maintained correctly.

I think the HK45 was destined to be the next service pistol until the JSP was cancelled. No one can deny the durability, reliability and accuracy of the HK45, it's truly a beast.

But, the Army just ordered a few hundred thousand more M9s which is good for Beretta, and they'll be cranking them out in droves forthwith.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB

A former co-worker of mine retired from the Air Force Reserves and spent his whole career in Security Forces. He was a pistol expert and loved the M9. It can be shot well, but not by me.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Biggest problem with the M9 or Beretta 92 is that in the uncocked but chambered position the trigger pull is really long. If you pull the hammer back in the cocked position the trigger travel is not that bad. It is a very durable gun and design is sound the Taurus version I have has over 10,000 rounds through it without a hiccup that was not operator error.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    This just out, if it has already been published that they are actively looking outside MD then I missed it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/b...turers-pull-up-stakes.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3&

Glad to hear Beretta is planning to keep it's factory in Maryland, even if it intends to build factories in other states. As a life-long Beretta owner I take pride in having them here, even as our politicians have done everything possible to send them packing :sad20:

Beretta, which initially threatened to abandon Maryland altogether, ultimately decided to keep its factory in Accokeek, as well as the 300 workers there, but said it would add any new jobs elsewhere. Despite the planned factory in North Carolina, Sturm, Ruger’s chief executive, Michael Fifer, recently told shareholders he did not plan to move its headquarters out of Southport, Conn. Sturm, Ruger did not return calls for comment.

bmelton

Jan 23, 2013
    They'll probably be moving eventually. From the guys I know that work at Beretta, they are definitely moving, they just don't have the capacity to interrupt the M9 delivery schedule and up and move like Magpul can. The M9 schedule basically requires that the Accokeek location be operating at full capacity, so they can't shut it down until they've got a new spot ready to go.

Once they do, which is probably more than a year off, they'll probably be gone from MD, especially given their new stringent criteria for HQ locations.

clay_shooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 27, 2011
    MoCo
    Beretta moving out is BAD.

They were probably the main reason that the paperwork error / liability portions were stripped from the bill. We wouldn't have any FFLs in the state in 3 years if Beretta hadn't gotten that fixed.

Folks asking Beretta to move are just begging for a harder future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom