• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Decided to finally get myself a 9mm, but seeing as I don't want to get an HQL and I prefer C&R... I went and got this toy.

M1951%20L_zpsaqmn52os.jpg

M1951%20R_zpsjpscmrl1.jpg

M1951%20R_zpsjpscmrl1.jpg

This is my new-to-me Beretta M1951. Originally made for the Italian Army, it was rejected by them in favor of keeping the M1934 until the M92 was designed and produced, which they then adopted.

The only major mar to this gun I found beside the low bluing and wear was a nasty gouge on the bottom of the receiver, as seen below:

M1951%20Gouge_zpsuuobdyuc.jpg

Haven't gotten a chance to fire it yet, but I expect it to be one of my range favorites given how cheap 9mm is.

Jul 1, 2012
    Just don't shoot hot stuff through it - stick with 115gr, as the lock block is an Achilles heel on these (just google "Beretta 1951 broken lock block" :) ).

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Just don't shoot hot stuff through it - stick with 115gr, as the lock block is an Achilles heel on these (just google "Beretta 1951 broken lock block" :) ).

Well aware of the broken lock problem, thanks though. I try and read before I buy. Planning on getting a thousand of the Tul Ammo 9mm steel-cased cheapos. Just going to plink with it.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Decided to finally get myself a 9mm, but seeing as I don't want to get an HQL and I prefer C&R... I went and got this toy.

Well done. The '51's my favourite sidearm—a bit cantankerous (understandable, considering its age and Italian lineage), but very accurate and reliable to the point of being boring (i.e., hasn't missed a beat in >2,000 rounds!). Just about everyone who's shot the one I've got wants one. If it only had a double-stack magazine, it'd be the perfect CCW gun. But, then, it'd be a 92...

The M1951's the gun that Fleming should've given 007.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013

I think many of those broken lock blocks can be traced back to guns that're missing the set screw that affixes the locking block in place (or the screw's not screwed fully-home). I've seen a handful of '51s that're missing that screw, which leaves the locking block loose to wander sideways during cycling; and if the block's misaligned, one of its lugs can get snapped off during locking.

Attachments

• 1951 lock block screw.jpg
      1951 lock block screw.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 1,226

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Thanks for that tip, Fred. I'll have to check mine.

The bizarre safety and mag release notwithstanding, it really is a nice, nice, nice pistol, and a really good deal for a C&R shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpg
      IMG_0153.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 1,593

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I have 2 of these. Solid handguns that can be lethal clubs when out of ammo

Nah....unless you're hittin' 'em with a Beretta that's locked inside a large gun vault, it's too small/light. But one or two whacks with a crate o' 9mm'll usually get their attention.:)

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    thanks for the tip fred333. I have two... will have to check them this evening to make sure the screw is in place. I have a spare locking block, but after how long it took me to acquire it (at a steal I might add), I don't want to have to pull it from the parts bin any sooner then I have too.

Bornewinner

Jul 20, 2013
    Anne Arundel Co.
    Nice pickup!!

Where did you purchase it from? I've been looking to grab one of these up for a couple years now, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger (har har) for the really poor quality ones on GunBroker that I've seen recently. Maybe I'm just missing the good ones? Perhaps I'm being too picky?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Nice pickup!!

Where did you purchase it from? I've been looking to grab one of these up for a couple years now, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger (har har) for the really poor quality ones on GunBroker that I've seen recently. Maybe I'm just missing the good ones? Perhaps I'm being too picky?

I've been following these for the past 2 or 3 years. There's very few that don't look beat to hell. Numerical has been the only commercial seller that's had them recently, putting out 1 at a time on Gunbroker/AuctionArms. I've always gotten mine from them-no hassles with FFL03 and they do safety check & test firing.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I got mine from United Gun Shop in Rockville from their consignment section. Great place but being near D.C. and over an hour and a half drive one way... yeah, not likely to frequent them. This Saturday will break her out for the inaugural range trip. Will feed her 50 rounds of Magtech 9mm (115 grain, brass with copper-washed lead) and see how she performs.

There will be pictures.

Bornewinner

Jul 20, 2013
    Anne Arundel Co.
    So I ALMOST had the missus convinced I needed this one from armslist until I was surprised with my grandfather's M1 Garand last week:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/5254309/chicago-illinois-handguns-for-sale--genuine-italian-beretta-1951--m951-----rare--

I emailed back and forth with the guy a dozen times, he took some additional pics and uploaded them to imgur here:

http://imgur.com/a/1l547

Since my "new to me gun" was filled for free, the wifey said no dice to buying one. I figured I'd share the links with you fine folks. The guy seems legit; he's a trainer at a conceal-carry shop in Illinois. Shared their FB page with me as well:

http://facebook.com/CitizensFirearmsTraining

The gun looks to be in AMAZING shape and doesn't have any import marks. Apparently a guy paid for his training class w/ the pistol, said his father brought it back from Italy, although the seller in question didn't have any paperwork backing that story up. Either way, amazing looking 1951 that I know I'd have loved to have bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom