• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Torin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 10, 2012
    Anyone have any insights on this? Was thinking about picking one up.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I haven't seen 1 in person. But I beleive they are made under licensing of Beretta by Walther. I have the MP5 version and love it !!!

DaftPict

Aug 20, 2012
    Escaped to Hedgesville WV
    Picked one up from Duffy's guns yesterday as I had seen some great reviews on-line.... They are actually made by Umarex under license. Feels and looks really nice (to me) and I hope to get it to the range in the next few days to try it out. Of course, I really want the 5.56 version which is expected in the US later this year (drool...)

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Picked one up from Duffy's guns yesterday as I had seen some great reviews on-line.... They are actually made by Umarex under license. Feels and looks really nice (to me) and I hope to get it to the range in the next few days to try it out. Of course, I really want the 5.56 version which is expected in the US later this year (drool...)

And then promptly banned in MD. ha ha. I know the new law will be held. :sad20:

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I got to see 1 at beretta yesterday. I thought he said unimarx is making them for Beretta. It looked pretty cool.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    So is the general consensus the 5.56 version won't ever be on sale in MD, it won't get here in time? The .22 sure looks cool in the pictures/videos. It seems somehow less toy-like than a lot of these .22 EBR clones. I haven't held it in person yet, so who knows. But it sure looks bigger and more substantial than say a M&P 15-22 or a Sig 522.

If I like it in person I might go ahead and get it regardless, but if there is any possibility of getting the 5.56 version, that makes the .22 even more attractive.

Does the .22 version have all the same ambi features as the big one? Reversible charging handle, reversible shell ejection?

Spoon22

Jan 23, 2013
    Umarex makes it for them. I felt it and it wasn't for me. I can't help but to think the crappy sights contributed to it. Maybe I need to go touch it one more time and hope the 5.56 version will be better...

DaftPict

Aug 20, 2012
    Escaped to Hedgesville WV
    The arx160 is not fully ambi - you can swap charging handle but not ejection. However the shells appear to eject slightly forward so I have no problems shooting it left.
    It is heavier than other 22s but it is supposed to be since it is a trainer for the arx100.
    Sure hope it ships before oct so I can get one!

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The arx160 is not fully ambi - you can swap charging handle but not ejection. However the shells appear to eject slightly forward so I have no problems shooting it left.
    It is heavier than other 22s but it is supposed to be since it is a trainer for the arx100.
    Sure hope it ships before oct so I can get one!

Correct. The selector and mag release are also ambidextrous.

These rifles seem pretty nice, they're definitely built better than the Umarex AR variants.

One neat thing that many might not know is that the barrel is threaded 1/2x28, the stock flash hider is only pinned with a roll pin which can be knocked out easily.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB (GO PENS! BEAT THE ISLES!!!)

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I picked 1 today. It doesn't have all the cool features of its big brother but still looks like a fun gun to shooT :)

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I finally went and saw one today, and bought it from Engage. I haven't had it to the range yet, but here are some quick thoughts on it:

(1) It seems, overall, extremely well-made. As I understand it, it is ultimately made by Walther in Germany, even though it says Umarex on it. Whoever made it seems to know what they were doing (or Beretta told them how to do it). The barrel is thick and solid, not one of those cheesy thin barrels with a sleeve over it that you sometimes get when they try to make a .22 look like a centerfire. The folding stock mechanism seems very solid and locks solidly, the magazine slides home with a feeling of durability, etc. The flash hider is a very nice touch. The holes don't start until a good bit forward of the barrel end - it seems to be specifically designed to hide the fact that this is a 22 barrel. Nobody will know you are only shooting a .22 until you start firing it, it is virtually impossible to see the barrel crown unless you are looking right down the front of it.

(2) It is super easy to field strip and should be a breeze to clean. Reports on the internet seem pretty positive on its willingness to eat cheap, crap ammo. I have a box of Remington Thunderbolts in my range bag, so we'll find out soon enough on that. The bolt seems well made but it is not super heavy, which I take as a good sign for feeding reliability.

(3) The length of pull is just 13.25" at full extension, which feels a bit short to a big guy like me, but it looks like the butt plate is removable and it shouldn't be hard to eventually swap out for a thicker one or put a little little extra on the end without messing up the folded dimensions, etc. One more detent out on the adjustable stock would have been better.

(4) It will lock back on the empty magazine and stays locked back once you pull the magazine. However, there is no way to manually lock it back yourself. So if it is empty with no mag and you pull the charging handle back, it just slides all the way forward as if you were chambering a round, there is no way to manually lock it back by pulling out or pushing in on the charging handle or anything. As far as I can tell, you must let the bolt cycle onto an empty mag to lock the chamber back.

(5) The safety and mag release are all very intuitive to use and fall right to hand. The charging handle, mag release and safety are all ambidextrous. The pistol grip has a nice angle and feels very solid.

(6) You can't pull the barrel the way you can with the 5.56 version, there is no 3rd, AR style magazine release on the bottom, and no way to shift the ejection side. But that is pretty much it as far as I can tell in differences between this gun and the real one. It seems to even be made of the same kind of plastic, as the manual says most of the gun needs no lubrication because the polymers are specifically designed to not need extra lubrication to improve reliability. This is one of the same big selling points for the 5.56 version, that the polymers contain some kind of lubricant and so much of the gun can be run dry to improve reliability.

(7) The amount of rail space available is enormous. You have a big quad rail arrangement in the front and a huge flat top rail for optics. You could "tacticool" this thing up to absurd proportions if you wanted to. Personally, it will probably run with nothing more than a red dot for me, but to each his own. This rifle has lovely balance out of the box and it is also just the right weight - not too heavy, not too light. I think if you slapped a bunch of lights and lasers and whatever on the front of this, you'd screw up the balance and make it front-end heavy, because the barrel is steel already and almost everything else on the gun is lightweight polymer. So if you want lights and lasers, I would get small ones at least.

(8) The stock flip up sights are nothing special, but they are adjustable, with a 5 mode dial in the back (delineated in meters), along with windage and elevation on the front. I think they may be high enough to co-witness with a red dot optic, but we'll see. You will want low rings both because the comb isn't high and the rail is already located a good distance above the barrel.

(9) It comes with one 20 round mag, which seems to be made from the same high-tech polymer as the gun, it looks very tough and likely to last. Extra mags are $33 a piece on Beretta's website. I went ahead and bought a couple of the factory mags just in case, but there may be other, cheaper mags that also work with it.

Yes - this is a lot of money for a .22. But it has a definite cool factor and I do like the way it is put together. It feels more like a "real gun" to me than some of the other rimfire clones ones out there. I figure that if it is cool enough to keep me shooting more rimfire and less centerfire, It won't take all that long to pay for itself. At least that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Look for more info once I give it some range time.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    We just got some in.

They have a different look, but feel solid and well made, though I have not actually fired one yet.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    A guy a couple lanes down from me on Saturday had one. I shot 1 full mag through it and it ran great. It was accurate with irons and what suprised me was its lack of weight. It was definitely on the lighter side.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Walther and Umarex are in the same building, everyone who came over to train Beretta USA employees on the rifles was from Umarex.

Also, you can lock the bolt, reach your fingers up in the empty magwell and you can raise the catch.

And I agree, it's leaps and bounds better than any of the AR-pattern Umarex products.

Si vis pacem para bellum

follow me @DiscipleofJMB - GO PENS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom