• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I kind of want a full frame pistol. A friend has a 92S that he might part with. I think it was Italian police surplus or something.
    Anyway, as I'm sure many people here know, it has the heel magazine release which is slow and cumbersome compared to the typical thumb release that is higher up on the grip.

I'm a southpaw. I'm going to hold it and see if I can efficiently hit the button with a finger from my supporting hand. If I can do it smoothly and effectively, this might be a good buy.
    Has anyone tried this?

Furious George

May 10, 2010
    I've got a 92S. It requires a different manual of arms to work smoothly.
    Instead of dropping the empty mag and then grabbing and inserting a new one you'd need to train to grab the replacement mag first and then depress the heel release button, drop the old mag and insert the new one all with the weak hand.

The 92S has some good points - the manufacturing quality and finish are excellent, they are Beretta reliable and there was a time when essentially unused examples could be had for $300. If the slide is parkerized, it has been refinished.

That said, the sights are miniscule and not readily changeable, mags can be a problem as many makers now delete the heel catch and if you are in a place with capacity limits, it is a big pistol for only 10 rounds. I don't know if 10 rounders are available. And there is the heel release thing.

I am not really a Beretta fanboy but I got one because it met the my surplus/trade-in collection criteria - good design, high quality build, cheap and available. I'm happy with mine but I don't ask much of it.

In 2023 it is kind of a vintage item rather than a serious pistol. Unless it is offered at an insanely cheap price there are probably better, more modern options if it is to be your only large frame pistol.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I kind of want a full frame pistol. A friend has a 92S that he might part with. I think it was Italian police surplus or something.
    Anyway, as I'm sure many people here know, it has the heel magazine release which is slow and cumbersome compared to the typical thumb release that is higher up on the grip.

I'm a southpaw. I'm going to hold it and see if I can efficiently hit the button with a finger from my supporting hand. If I can do it smoothly and effectively, this might be a good buy.
    Has anyone tried this?
    I think they’re amazing pistols, I’m waiting for the army to make theirs available to public.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    The 92FS was my first firearm. It's been flawless but I'm more accurate with other pistols for some reason. Not a Beretta fan boi but it's definitely a brand that I trust to put out quality firearms.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I'm left handed , and with the 92fs I can hit the mag release with my left index finger. So my right hand is free to grab another magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom