• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Oh well, looks like I'm a douchebag for saying a tabletop review isn't a review. Maybe if this thread was called "Check out my new gun" we wouldn't have these problems...

Nothing personal Jawn. If you want to go shooting sometime, I'll spot you a box of 9mm for your new toy.

No hard feelings, man. I made the thread for two reasons: 1. I'm excited about my new purchase (as expected) and 2. There are basically 4 Beretta models that have very subtle differences that I wanted to highlight. I figured it would be valuable for other members to know the differences. I bought the 92A1 because it was basically all of the cool nifty features of the 90Two with the aesthetics of a 92FS.

I'll do my damnedest to run the gun hard tomorrow, and I'll have some post-shooting impressions up shortly after.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Oh well, looks like I'm a douchebag for saying a tabletop review isn't a review. Maybe if this thread was called "Check out my new gun" we wouldn't have these problems...

Nothing personal Jawn. If you want to go shooting sometime, I'll spot you a box of 9mm for your new toy.

For your penance, we shall refer to you as "KillJoy" for the remainder of the weekend... :D

Jamie

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Range trip yesterday went well. Only ended up putting 150 rounds through the Beretta, and it shot about as well as I'd expect. No failures.

I ran Speer Lawman 115 gr all day, except for when we were running it suppressed. The single action trigger is quite nice. I need to learn to use the DA trigger. Even as a revolver guy, the DA pull on the Beretta is pretty substantial. I might go with a thinner grip on it eventually, but we'll see.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    2 week update:

I actually had a chance to put it on paper finally (shot steel last time), and I was pleasantly surprised how accurately I can shoot it (tore out the center of a target at 10 yards in rapid fire). I went through 200 more rounds today without a failure (again using Speer Lawman). The factory 17 round magazines ran without a hiccup.

I like the single action trigger a lot. Very defined reset point and clean break. The large grip has grown on me a little, and it's very comfortable to shoot. Overall, I'm rather pleased with this gun. I still have yet to get that DA trigger where I want it to be, but I'm quite pleased with how well it shoots otherwise.

Up next, I'll have to run some JHPs through it and see how it likes defensive ammo. I'm having a holster made at Engage and I have to pick up a few more mags for it.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    I personally don't mind the concept of a "tabletop review" as they point out some features that others might not have caught. I for one did not realize this model came with a dovetail front sight which is a fantastic feature not available on 92FS/M9's in the past. Also the fact that the spring is captive versus a two-piece like on every M9 I have handled, mine included.

About half of one's opinion of a pistol is going to be made before a single shot is fired. Fit, finish, design, feel, and most mechanical aspects can all be evaluated by just handling and disassembling the pistol. Of course a range report is called for, but it's nice to just see the pistol for what it is first. There are plenty of mechanical devices both firearms and automobiles that I have yet to physically use, but still draw my admiration and desire anyway (Lotus Exige, Fiat 500 Abarth, and the AAC Honey Badger are all on my drool-list and yet I have never used one of them.)

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    The M9 is a fantastic pistol when lubed with good lube and when it has good mags.

In my experience every failure I have seen with the 92FS/M9 platform has been traced to faulty magazines. I know at some point the USGI magazines that most units were getting had been parkerized on the outside and inside of the mags. As most know parkerization is not a smooth finish and it caused followers to bind up in the magazines even when properly cleaned. Add in fouling or dirt and the problem only gets worse. I have found the factory Beretta and Mec-Gar magazines work reliably and that's what I use.

The other issues I have had with the platform are just personal niggles more than anything else:

- I prefer to "slingshot" the slide during reloads versus engaging the slide-release and the open slide of the Beretta has a tendency to bite my hand or gloves.

- Also while gripping the slide from the top I find that many times I inadvertently engage the safety during reloads.

- The safety mechanism works "backwards" from what I feel is natural with safe being down and fire being up. This is counter to the safety of traditional pistols like the 1911 where safe is up and fire is down.

- The safety is mounted rather high on the slide and it is awkward to disengage. Of course the pistol is a DA/SA so it can be carried with a round in the chamber, safety off, and hammer down.

- The DA trigger position is rather far out there and for me, at a build of 5'6", is a bit of a reach. Every time I have qualified with the M9 the only shots I have missed have been in DA (although I have qualified expert every time.)

- I am not a fan of the decocker safety of the 92FS/M9. I understand it's purpose, but I do prefer the ability to carry "cocked and locked."

FWIW I could learn every single one of those issues without ever putting a round downrange. While shooting the pistol has made them more obvious I feel confident I could identify most of those by just handling the pistol.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I was just comparing the Berettas the other day. Looking through the literature was mind-numbingly boring. Your initial review helped me quite a bit, thank you.:thumbsup:

I'm trying to pick one out for my wife. She hates slides that are hard to work. The 92 series has a very easy slide to operate and I think she'll really enjoy shooting it.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I was just comparing the Berettas the other day. Looking through the literature was mind-numbingly boring. Your initial review helped me quite a bit, thank you.:thumbsup:

I'm trying to pick one out for my wife. She hates slides that are hard to work. The 92 series has a very easy slide to operate and I think she'll really enjoy shooting it.

It certainly is a lot of numbers and letters :D

Make sure her hands fit the gun. It's pretty chunky and it just fits my hand.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    2 week update:

I actually had a chance to put it on paper finally (shot steel last time), and I was pleasantly surprised how accurately I can shoot it (tore out the center of a target at 10 yards in rapid fire). I went through 200 more rounds today without a failure (again using Speer Lawman). The factory 17 round magazines ran without a hiccup.

I like the single action trigger a lot. Very defined reset point and clean break. The large grip has grown on me a little, and it's very comfortable to shoot. Overall, I'm rather pleased with this gun. I still have yet to get that DA trigger where I want it to be, but I'm quite pleased with how well it shoots otherwise.

Up next, I'll have to run some JHPs through it and see how it likes defensive ammo. I'm having a holster made at Engage and I have to pick up a few more mags for it.

Check out the Beretta D Spring. I have read that it does wonders for the DA trigger. I plan on ordering one from Brownell's once it's back in stock.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    As it turns out, the Beretta factory leather paddle holster for the 90-two fits the 92A1 quite well.

Attachments

• _DSC5521.jpg
      _DSC5521.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 128

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    By the way, what is the advantage to having 2 slots on the rail? Is it just better because you can adjust whatever you have on there better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom