• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    So im planning on building a 92a1 soonish...from my research i think ive pinned down the main problem with them...weak recoil springs. As you all know they have a history of beating frames, cracking slides, and breaking the locking block...granted many of the issues have been addressed and the serive life of these parts extened (also bare in mind in the military apparently soldiers like to use the smg 9mm in them, which is equal to +p+ loads)...anyway..the weak recoil spring is still an issue. I plan on replacing it with a stronger wolff spring...but heres the idea...what about adding another 1" of a heavier spring intercoiled with the full main spring to act as a double spring setup, this in theory would massivly slow the slide down at the end of its cycle and eliminate alot of wear on all of the problem parts

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You would need to cautious of coil bind with the slide fully rearward. That WILL cause problems.

I would just use a recoil spring spec'd for the smg ammo. Or, more effectively, you could also go up a pound or two with main (hammer) spring. This would have a greater effect on slide velocity.

From what I've read, the 92's were upgraded to eliminate those problems encountered early on in it's US military service. None of the shooters I've shared the range with ever complained of those issues or knew of someone who did. May be a nonissue

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Thats true...the only thing with increasing the hammer spring would be making the already heavy trigger worse, which is why im putting a 18# 1911 spring in it. Maybe just a heavier spring will be good enough, im thinking a 17-19 pound weight

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    The current generation of locking blocks last much longer the the first generation blocks. Most of the frame cracking issues were related to the original 96 series guns, which were simply 92's with a .40 S&W barrel. Even they tended go for around 10K rounds before cracks developed. Beretta went to the angled dust cover (more metal in the problem areas) to address the issue, and have added recoil buffers to the 92/96 A1 pistols. The integral rail on the 92/96 A1 series strengthens the frame in much the same way as the angled dust cover did.

I think doubling up on the springs could easily slow the slide down to the point it doesn't cycle properly, and may bind up. If you used some kind of flat springs, that may alleviate the binding issue.

Wolff has lots of recoil spring options for the 92, including an extra power recoil calibration pack that has springs from 15 to 20 lbs. For $25 plus shipping, that's where I'd start.

The projected service life of the 92 is such that you will spend several times the original cost of the gun in ammo before you experience frame failure, or even current gen locking block failure. Far more likely to fail are the trigger return spring and the trigger bar spring. They're cheap enough, that regular replacement and keeping a few spares on hand isn't much of a problem.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    It's a non issue in my mind. Change the recoil spring every few thousand rounds, or when it is shorter than the barrel when laid next to it.

Many of the things you mention are on the much older models, rarely an issue now. I wouldn't do the double spring idea, only see it creating issues. If you want to shoot a lot of hot ammo in it then go up a lb or 2 for the spring if you like. However, with ammo prices you would have to spend a LOT to wear one out these days.

NATO ammo is not, but not on par with real hot smg ammo.

For the trigger, put a D spring in it. It's the factory one used in their DAO pistols. Proven, and lightens the trigger up a good bit.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    13# is the standard force spring. Assuming close similar length and number of coils, 18# 1911 recoil springs would be overkill causing short cycling and bolt over base FTF.

The only way I see that needed would be a heavy for 9mm bullet and major power factors, which is hedging the envelope for the 9x19 case. It would be wise to progress a pound or two while assessing function. In the speed games they tend to run lighter springs to tune the pistols' tracking character.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    The 1911 spring is the hammer spring, not the recoil spring. These have proven to give better results than the d springs while still maintaining reliable ignition of harder primers. I am going to be reloading as well as casting my own rounds, so i will only be shooting my own loads (.02 cents per round so long as i pick up the brass and keep my supply of lead coming in)

There is never any such thing as good enough with me...thanks for the input...eventually when i get the gun done ill post results and findings

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Your buying a 92a1 not building one

I could build one if i wanted...lol
    Also...considering im going to be changing out alot of stuff and adding a sgs comp, total on this us going to be around 1400-1500 dollars...if ar guys can say their building the gun, and all their doing is plug and play bolt on stuff...then im building this 92 lol

edit: fixing stupid fat finger crap...i hate trying to post off of my cell phone...damn touch screen keyboards...

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I just had a 92FS built by David Sams Custom Gunworks, David Sams replaced the 13 pound spring with a heavier spring, which I think was a 16 pound spring. I'm not sure why he did that, but maybe it is for the reasons cited by Nemesis.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I could build one if i wanted...lol
    Also...considering im going to be changing out alot of stuff and adding a sgs comp, total on this us going to be around 1400-1500 dollars...if ar guys can say their building the gun, and all their doing is plug and play bolt on stuff...then im building this 92 lol

edit: fixing stupid fat finger crap...i hate trying to post off of my cell phone...damn touch screen keyboards...

In all honesty, i would head over to that area and build YOURS, or atleast watch it begin its life. Thatll be a pistol your grandkids will cherish as its passed through the family.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I just had a 92FS built by David Sams Custom Gunworks, David Sams replaced the 13 pound spring with a heavier spring, which I think was a 16 pound spring. I'm not sure why he did that, but maybe it is for the reasons cited by Nemesis.

It increases consistency in the guns lockup when it goes into battery. This makes group consistency improved.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    In all honesty, i would head over to that area and build YOURS, or atleast watch it begin its life. Thatll be a pistol your grandkids will cherish as its passed through the family.

Honestly i would love to...maybe one day ill convince them to let me make my own lol. That would be alot of fun.

Ive watched all the stuff get made, havent had a chance to run any of the machines for them though, im stuck at my station running my own lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom