• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    So I just got my Beretta 1951 from Coles distributing. I was really happy with it until I noticed what looked like a slight bulge in the barrel which corresponds to what to me looks like a slight ring in the barrel. I'm not sure what to do. Their return policy says it can be returned within three days of receiving it if it isn't fired. Is it possible that I could be mistaking a worn barrel for a damaged one? This sucks. Other than that it is pretty nice. :mad54:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459636840

If you look at pictures one and two. Notice the one brighter spot of bluing wear. That is where it looks like there is a bulge. Now that I've noticed it in person I think I can just barely see it in the pictures. Very easy to miss though. Should I return it? Its not safe to fire correct?

Jul 1, 2012
    Short of getting a gunsmith to look at it, when in doubt send it back.
    It may also be a sign of other abuse (hot ammo etc) and likely a lock block or slide about to fail...
    that's just my opinion though. IANAGS

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Bummer. I don't have any experience with a bulged barrel before, but sure sounds like you have one if there is a ring inside that corresponds to the marking on the outside. If it were me, it would be going back.

Jul 1, 2012
    a somewhat extreme case....
    after a new barrel and a lot of internal fixes it's now one of my favorite shooters.

I also wound up with a Colt 1903 Hammerless with a ring about halfway down, you couldn't really see a bulge on the outside but it was pretty obvious in the bore. Tossed that barrel out.

Not sure what a Beretta barrel costs but probably better to return/exchange anyway.

Attachments

• 1902 mil.JPG
      1902 mil.JPG
      52.8 KB · Views: 462

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Just to be safe, send it back. I've been following Beretta 1951s for a while now and the CDI offers have been the worst of the lot. Mine came from Numrich mostly. Numrich does a safety inspection and test firing and provides the documents along with the gun(s)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It happens. I see it in the photos. Just send it back and don't sweat it. It's your first stinker. Probably won't be your last.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I haven't heard from them about how to return it yet but what is the usual procedure for returning something like this? I have heard that handguns can only be shipped by FFLs. Will a C&R FFL qualify for that?

Jul 1, 2012
    best bet is to see if they will supply the shipping label.
    FFL-03 can't legally (under current interpretation) send handguns via USPS,
    but CAN send via UPS or FEDEX (which will require overnight air by their own policies, not ATF's).
    I'm sure "cdi" has had to deal with this situation before so sit back and follow their lead :)

BTW - an unlicensed individual can also send a handgun via UPS or FEDEX (and long gun via USPS).
    It's the destination that needs to be licensed (although some exceptions apply regarding sending to yourself).

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    best bet is to see if they will supply the shipping label.
    FFL-03 can't legally (under current interpretation) send handguns via USPS,
    but CAN send via UPS or FEDEX (which will require overnight air by their own policies, not ATF's).
    I'm sure "cdi" has had to deal with this situation before so sit back and follow their lead :)

BTW - an unlicensed individual can also send a handgun via UPS or FEDEX (and long gun via USPS).
    It's the destination that needs to be licensed (although some exceptions apply regarding sending to yourself).

Yeah hopefully they will cover the shipping since they sent me a bad gun.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Do I need to log in in and then back out of my book before I send it back or is that unnecessary since I'm not keeping it?

When I returned a star b to j&g because of a cracked frame, I logged it in the disposition section as transferred to j&g. When they sent me a new one with a different serial number, I logged it in the same as I did the first time.

I would do the same in this case. Worst case, they replace the barrel and ship it back to you and you re-enter it in your blind book.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Coles should be OK to deal with. The "ring" in the bore is a pretty classic indicator of a problem. You don't want that one.

BTW - I think that Coles got hammered just before they went on vacation. I got an email from them yesterday, somewhat curtly reminding me that I needed to pay for a pistol that I'd bought. I sent a polite reply with a copy'n'paste from my online bank statement, showing that I'd paid for it. I also told them that I had the gun on my desk, so it was shipped and received.

I got a very nice apology note from them.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    So I just got my Beretta 1951 from Coles distributing. I was really happy with it until I noticed what looked like a slight bulge in the barrel which corresponds to what to me looks like a slight ring in the barrel. I'm not sure what to do. Their return policy says it can be returned within three days of receiving it if it isn't fired. Is it possible that I could be mistaking a worn barrel for a damaged one? This sucks. Other than that it is pretty nice. :mad54:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459636840

If you look at pictures one and two. Notice the one brighter spot of bluing wear. That is where it looks like there is a bulge. Now that I've noticed it in person I think I can just barely see it in the pictures. Very easy to miss though. Should I return it? Its not safe to fire correct?

If you see a ring in the bore SEND IT BACK. Tell them about it and hint that they should find you a pristine one to make up for this.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I got a couple shots of the bore where you can see the ring. The first is from the breech side. The second two are from the muzzle.

Attachments

• P1030930.jpg
      P1030930.jpg
      30.8 KB · Views: 304
    • P1030932.jpg
      P1030932.jpg
      29.5 KB · Views: 316
    • P1030935.jpg
      P1030935.jpg
      22.1 KB · Views: 301

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts