• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sierra Caddis

Support right to carry MD
    Feb 16, 2009
    Has anyone heard or know anything about this new gun. I'm looking to buy a new gun for duck/geese. I was thinking of getting a Benelli SBE (Super Black Eagle). If you know of any reviews of the Vinci, I'd appreciate it.

boatbiologist

Nov 6, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    American Rifleman did an article on the Vinci.

Remember they really liked it. 100% thru thousands of shells..., fast, light, soft kicking, lots of other gushy stuff that gun mags like to print.
    Thats all I remember. Saw one at Gander Mt. last month.

HarEngSer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 4, 2008
    Bel Air
    I didn't see it but they had one at a ducks unlimited shoot at Oxford gun club about 2 months ago. It wouldn't cycle 2 3/4" shells reliably. I have a friend who bought a NIB Super Black Eagle II and had to send it back. 3 months and he fianlly is told that they had to MILL the reciever to the proper length and then they screwed up the re-finish camo job so it would be another month unless he would take a new barrel. The customer service was awful on the phone, they didn't want to take credit for the mistake, and they gave him the wrong time lines for when his gun would be back. I for one am avoiding any new Benelli's. The older models might be fine but the new managment is all about making money and cutting quality and costs. Thats my feelings on the matter.

-Jim

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I have owned one of every model of the Benelli Super Black Eagle including the SBE II which I currently shoot. I bought this particular gun right after it was introduced which I believe was 2004. I am a pretty hardcore waterfowler and I have 1000s of rounds through the gun. I can honestly say that I have never had a true malfunction in any of my SBEs. I say true because most of the malfunctions I have seen (most of my waterfowling friends shoot SBE IIs) are due to the shooter not solidly mounting the gun- this will cause a malfunction as it is a recoil operated gun.

I've seen a lot of "talk" regarding the performance of Benelli guns and most of the talk is from those that do not own them. I would not shoot any other gun for waterfowling. I would not own one without the camo finish as it increases resistance to the elements. The biggest single attribute (other than reliability) is the simplicity of design which makes maintenance easier than any other hunting shotgun I've ever handled- this is due to the barrel and upper receiver being one piece.

I was excited when I first saw the Vinci and I do think it is an innovative design, but I did not like the ergonomics (for me) when I handled one. I think the biggest thing that influenced me is the position of the safety foward on the trigger group. It was a reach for me and just did not feel natural. It might be different for you.

As Jim said Benelli's customer service is not the greatest, but I've never needed it and considering the number of rounds and hard conditions I've hunted under, that is a testament to the quality of the gun. My recommendation would be a camo SBE II if you want a first class waterfowling shotgun.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Like KevP, I have owned and shot benelli's since getting a LH
    montefeltro in 1995. Shot the sbe and owned 2 sbe2's (1st one purloined
    by baggage checkers at DTW). Have never had a malfunction while hunting,
    and most of my hunting was cold, nasty shit in Michigan or Ontario.
    I could hunt with an auto-5, citori, bps, 870, or a model 21, but what I drag
    out day in and day out is the sbe2. I hate superlatives, but it is perhaps the best
    ducking gun ever made, all things considered.
    The Vinci shoots perhaps a bit softer than the sbe2, but the only thing I
    compared it to was loading #2 Kent faststeel 3" mag, 1 3/8oz.
    Other than that, it didn't seem to offer anything over the sbe2. Wouldn't even consider
    buying one until they come out with a LH version, and even then would remain skeptical
    about gas operation in really cold, wet weather.
    If I shot a lot of targets, I could see a true benefit in getting one over
    the sbe2, but I see no benefit in ducks or geese. I mean, what kind
    of dipshit complains about the recoil after a group of greenheads cups into your
    stool? I never remember the kick or noise, but I remember
    the green irridescence on the drakes, as I pick them away from the Suzies.
    My $.02

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Oh yeah, about the finish. The black finish on the SBE2 really sucks. I never noticed a problem hunting in the Midwest, but as soon as I moved to the Shore and its saltwater environment, I began noticing rust on the barrel and receiver. This would form before returning home from the hunt. I tried everything, from CLP to remoil to Kriol. Still rusted. After my first season here, I sent the gun to Wilson Combat for Armor-Tuff refinishing, and the problem went away. I have heard the camo version doesn't rust, but I have no personal experience to attest to, reaffirming what KevP said above.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Like KevP, I have owned and shot benelli's since getting a LH
    montefeltro in 1995. Shot the sbe and owned 2 sbe2's (1st one purloined
    by baggage checkers at DTW). Have never had a malfunction while hunting,
    and most of my hunting was cold, nasty shit in Michigan or Ontario.
    I could hunt with an auto-5, citori, bps, 870, or a model 21, but what I drag
    out day in and day out is the sbe2. I hate superlatives, but it is perhaps the best
    ducking gun ever made, all things considered.
    The Vinci shoots perhaps a bit softer than the sbe2, but the only thing I
    compared it to was loading #2 Kent faststeel 3" mag, 1 3/8oz.
    Other than that, it didn't seem to offer anything over the sbe2. Wouldn't even consider
    buying one until they come out with a LH version, and even then would remain skeptical
    about gas operation in really cold, wet weather.
    If I shot a lot of targets, I could see a true benefit in getting one over
    the sbe2, but I see no benefit in ducks or geese. I mean, what kind
    of dipshit complains about the recoil after a group of greenheads cups into your
    stool? I never remember the kick or noise, but I remember
    the green irridescence on the drakes, as I pick them away from the Suzies.
    My $.02

Fuster,

It never ceases to amaze me when people complain about recoil in a hunting gun. Like you, I can't ever remember feeling recoil while hunting or afterward for that matter. That is shooting full power 3" and 3.5" loads. I am not a big fan of the 3.5 for anything other than goose hunting and even then I don't really think it is necessary- but still no issue with recoil even after an extended early season goose shoot. It must be something like auditory exclusion because I have felt recoil after a 3-4 rds of skeet or a 100 bird sporting clays shoot and that is with 2 3/4 light target loads. Now full power turkey loads through an SBE are a different story. That is a downright ignorant experience. A couple of shots at the patterning board and you want off of the pain train. :lol2:

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    um, that vinci is FUGLY. i like benelli's too. my dad has a beautiful SBE atlantic flyways edition from a few years back. but i truly find this gun to be unbeautiful.

ps, i run a beat up old 20 year old rem 1100 for waterfowling. yes, ive become a master remington mechanic over the years.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    um, that vinci is FUGLY. i like benelli's too. my dad has a beautiful SBE atlantic flyways edition from a few years back. but i truly find this gun to be unbeautiful.

ps, i run a beat up old 20 year old rem 1100 for waterfowling. yes, ive become a master remington mechanic over the years.

Lots of O rings. The 1100s definitely like to freeze up when things really get cold....usually when a knot of blackheads are ripping into your spread at Mach II.

HarEngSer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 4, 2008
    Bel Air
    I will restate that it was 2 3/4 target loads that wouldn't cycle. The gap between the light loads and magnum loads is huge. I have a POS gun that won't cycle 2 3/4 anymore but works great with 3".

Sierra Caddis

Feb 16, 2009
    All, thank you very much. You've all helped me make my decision. I'm going with the SBE II, with the Advantage camo.
    ALBY: I too am a Rem 1100 owner, but I've never taking it waterfowling, and I heard about them not performing well under cold wet conditions. And I'm a Remington mechanic as well; still love the guns though.
    Appreciate all the input!
    Thanks,
    Sierra Caddis

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Here's a nice pic of my dog Duke with a nice mallard and the SBE II in the background :D

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
      IMG_0026.jpg
      93.2 KB · Views: 245

Sierra Caddis

Feb 16, 2009
    Handsome dog! I will have one like that one day.
    I adopted a Pudelpointer recently because he's gun shy and I have a big heart. I tried to break him of the gun shyness, but he's even afraid of the sound of an air pistol. He hides at the sight of my shotgun. I'd like to have a few words for the guy who f'd this beautiful dog up. He hunts well and he points like a rock, but just the sight of a gun he's useless.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    Mine is the exact opposite. All I have to do is pull out the gun case and he will be pacing all night in anticipation. He gets pissed when I go to the range during the off-season because he thinks I'm leaving him out of the hunt. Dogs make the experience so much better.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    Here's a nice pic of my dog Duke with a nice mallard and the SBE II in the background :D

Happy looking dog. For the life of me, I can't get my Chesie puppy to pose with a duck in his mouth. He brings 'em back, throws 'em at my feet, and won't pick it back up again. I learned my lesson with my old Chesie about trying to table them to stop that habit, so I guess I won't try it again with Crash. I consider myself lucky that he doesn't eat the duck or stomp it in the mud.
    He does like your picture, though, as he is sitting in my lap as I type, wagging his tail as he looks at the picture of your greenhead. I consider it a good sign for his upcoming second season.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    As long as you are happy with a good hunting dog vs. a hunt test or field trial dog, you are good to go. I started mine out in the hunt test game and got his junior title. He has some ticks that made it hard to continue to senior and master. He is a very vocal dog and doesn't always have the best blind manners due to extremely high retrieving drive. He makes up for it on the retrieve- he will get the bird. He does things that would drive a hunt test or field trial guy crazy like doing double and triple retrieves. Since I just hunt him now, I look at it as smart on his part. Old timers prized those kind of hunting dogs.

A buddy of mine always tells the story of this mallard out on Carroll Island. It was 30-40 yds behind us in 10ft frag grass. There was no way to mark it and I didn't even line him up to send him. He had seen the bird as it came straight into us and I just called dead bird and sent him. He was gone for 10mins. He came out of the frag with that bird and was bleeding around the eyes, nose, and mouth from the frag grass. He was happy as could be, but I'm alot more careful about sending him into those kind of conditions.

Here's one with a mouth full of birds LOL and another good one with a can.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
      IMG_0187.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 230
    • IMG_0157.jpg
      IMG_0157.jpg
      137.2 KB · Views: 225

mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    As my cousin is a Benelli freak he ran out a got one as soon as it hit the market. I have been able to shoot the SBE, SBEII and the Vinci. The SBE was a great gun, when he got the SBEII it was like parking the Honda and driving a Lexus. Since then I got to drive the new Vinci or should I say Ferrari. It is lighter, smoother and has less recoil than the others. IMHO
    Some people will hate it no matter what because of the different look and bad mouth it no matter what.
    Ask those who have gave it a spin to get a hands opinion.

I dont have any benelli SBE's but I do have 2 Mi tacticals. They run exceptionally well. As Kevp stated - you gotta have a good mount. They can be finicky about weight and balance. Case in point. My 20" will not run reliably with a loaded side saddle AND a muzzlebreak/ breacher installed. My go to is the night sighted 14.5 and it goes bang every time i press the trigger.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Fuster,

It never ceases to amaze me when people complain about recoil in a hunting gun. Like you, I can't ever remember feeling recoil while hunting or afterward for that matter. That is shooting full power 3" and 3.5" loads. I am not a big fan of the 3.5 for anything other than goose hunting and even then I don't really think it is necessary- but still no issue with recoil even after an extended early season goose shoot. It must be something like auditory exclusion because I have felt recoil after a 3-4 rds of skeet or a 100 bird sporting clays shoot and that is with 2 3/4 light target loads. Now full power turkey loads through an SBE are a different story. That is a downright ignorant experience. A couple of shots at the patterning board and you want off of the pain train. :lol2:

After about 20 rounds of 3 1/2" Black Cloud through my 870 supermag, I thought I was going to have to have my middle finger amputated- for 5 days, it looked like a snake trying to swallow a golf ball. It was downright brutal. I've since added a Knoxx stock. Look stupid? Probably, but I really like how it shoots the heavy loads, so I'm keeping it on there.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    After about 20 rounds of 3 1/2" Black Cloud through my 870 supermag, I thought I was going to have to have my middle finger amputated- for 5 days, it looked like a snake trying to swallow a golf ball. It was downright brutal. I've since added a Knoxx stock. Look stupid? Probably, but I really like how it shoots the heavy loads, so I'm keeping it on there.

Ben,

Was that in a hunting situation or at the range? I was really referring to folks complaining about the recoil of Benellis. A 870 is a different story especially w/ 3.5" mags....but even so, you tend not to notice recoil when hunting....unless you aren't killing any birds :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom