Benelli Quality Control Very Disappointing what say you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    The Op said he purchased online and didn't perform a thorough inspection becuase of the surety of quality that generally accompanies brand name arms.
    Sometimes that sort of thing happens and at least it sounds like he knew he took a certain risk just by doing an overall by not disrupting the factory packing.
    I'm not sure taking pictures and whining on face book would get him anywhere other than more overall dissatisfaction with his purchase.
    It already sounds like he wants to sell it.
    This crying online though and plastering pictures thing sounds silly to me. Is that how problems are solved in today's world?
    I think I would rather keep it than doing something like that.
    Doco is right. I was told that my pictures went thru the chain of command to the top gunsmith. I asked if there was anyone else, a manager, to talk to and she said no. I asked her to tell them I'm very dissatisfied all around and basically she said tuff luck, case closed.
    I was not trying to start a firestorm and respectfully asked for the forum's opinions. Many agreed with me that gun stocks should not be made out of knotty wood. Many thought it looked fine, to expect knots in wood, but I disagree. Unless you're making rustic looking log cabin furniture out of pine, furniture wood like a gunstock should not have knots in it. If you were making a gunstock you would not pick out a piece of knotty pine or a piece of walnut with knots in it. I can't twist their arm and make them do what's right. I would be very happy with plain straight grain walnut or even beech, I don't need figure or burl, but I don't want pallet wood either.
    I will not buy anything Benelli again. Hopefully I'll find someone who thinks the stock is beautiful. As Doco said, more whining will just cause me more dissatisfaction.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I bought a Benelli … and I thought Benelli, it's going to be nice for a $1300 gun.…

I have no idea what the consensus of shooters’ opinions on Benellis is going to be 10- or 20- years from now but, while they sure seem to have inertial mechanics and cad/cam down, when it comes to bewilderment over issues with their furniture, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

(FWIW, Benelli made this chap whole, again …)

ETHOS buttstock “blistering”​

I’ve only had my Benelli ETHOS for 4 years. I’ve used it on 5 hunts. I kept it spotless at all times.

Went on a Chukar hunt Monday and noticed small bumps on the buttstock that you could scratch off and I noticed the “gloss”coating is starting to deteriorate. No idea why. No solvents have ever touched the walnut. The forend wood is perfect, no issues. It almost like the buttstock is warping from the inside and protruding out. I emailed Benelli. I’m hoping they will make it right. To replace it on my dime, it would cost $655. Any idea what could have caused this? Worst case, Benelli won’t replace it, could someone into gun woodworking get it back to its original condition?

To see the details of the thread I created, refer to my thread on 1911 Addicts. I was referred to this forum and if Benelli won’t make right, they said contact Doug Carpenter.
    https://www.1911addicts.com/threads...ck-wood-is-deteriorating.232061/#post-3341964

Last thing, any possible idea what would cause this?…

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/ethos-buttstock-“blistering”.569048/

I know we have at least 3 Benellis back at the house (earliest version ‘Sport’ iteration of the Montefeltro they came out with; SuperSport II and an M2) but, only because I got them at either employee pricing (via factory armorers‘ courses) or half price sales / trades.

Absolutely NO WAY I’d ever pay even reduced retail (let alone MSRP, choke!) for one, they’re simply way too over-priced …

Last edited:

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Gun builders are in a no win situation. They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.

You want a bullet proof action that's slicker than greased snot?.....They cut costs elsewhere. You want flawless wood?.....They cut costs elsewhere. Everyone remember the absolute garbage that was coming off assembly lines ten years ago? Cost cutting at it's worst.

They have to hit a price point to sell to the masses. Now the masses want top shelf guns at price point prices.

No shooter is going to get it both ways. Either pay top shelf prices or pay price point prices.

We have access to Pinto quality guns and we have access to Lambo quality guns. Pick your poison.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Gun builders are in a no win situation. They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.

You want a bullet proof action that's slicker than greased snot?.....They cut costs elsewhere. You want flawless wood?.....They cut costs elsewhere. Everyone remember the absolute garbage that was coming off assembly lines ten years ago? Cost cutting at it's worst.

They have to hit a price point to sell to the masses. Now the masses want top shelf guns at price point prices.

No shooter is going to get it both ways. Either pay top shelf prices or pay price point prices.

We have access to Pinto quality guns and we have access to Lambo quality guns. Pick your poison.

The masses need to understand craftsmanship and quality by large went out the window probably in the late 50’s.
    I looked at a 10-22 a few weeks ago that had severe stock finishing issues.
    The owner wasn’t particularly interested in the finish for intended purpose but paid for a product none the less.
    We get what we accept as consumers.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I didn't examine it good because I didn't want to mess up the factory packing...
    Lol. Not sure why you needed to preserve the factory packing. You should have examined your $1300 purchase. Accept responsibility. Sell it or don't, but either way move on with your life.

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    The masses need to understand craftsmanship and quality by large went out the window probably in the late 50’s.
    I looked at a 10-22 a few weeks ago that had severe stock finishing issues.
    The owner wasn’t particularly interested in the finish for intended purpose but paid for a product none the less.
    We get what we accept as consumers.
    And as voters.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    And as voters.
    Yeah you got that right, thats why I live in the woods away from the city but you could only do so much when your outnumbered for voting.
    Lol. Not sure why you needed to preserve the factory packing. You should have examined your $1300 purchase. Accept responsibility. Sell it or don't, but either way move on with your life.
    Maybe he aint worried about the money so much, just a decent gun stock from a supposed reputable manufacture for a special gift.
    For all we know its been sold already or he has moved on. If it was a 12 gauge I may have already asked him for it.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I moved on but...two of my sons bought the same gun at the same time as me, they were on sale. One son is in Delaware and the other in NC.
    They both sent me pictures of their stocks, beautiful, nice straight grain walnut, no knots, but no figure either which is fine.
    I still haven't seen any stocks with knots in them. This piece of wood was a mistake, it should have never been made into a stock. I've never seen a knot in a Remington stock nor Winchester, Mossberg, Savage, Ruger, maybe a little birds eye or the edge of a knot near the surface, never one that goes straight through let alone two.
    I'm not worried about the money, I was going to buy two of these. I've bought guns for collecting and have had them for years and sold them with them still factory taped never opened. My only mistake was trusting Benelli quality and their customer service.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Kinda funny that I once paid a small fortune for a set of revolver stocks made from spalted maple. Spalting is caused by a fungus, but at least there were no knots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom