• ...and so much more!
  • CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Sort of. Paid 350 for it.

Original price from 10 years ago was around 160.00

But it’s now unobtanium.

Since it’s US made. It counts as two parts towards 922r compliance.

Crazy that it was almost as much as the entire gun.

I've stumbled across several mentions and videos of people shortening the stock and now I'm curious.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I received most of what I ordered for PROJECT WHOA NELLY today, but didn’t have time to install anything other than the PA optic. All looks good quality. I am impressed that the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock comes with several different sling options included in the box, unlike the Magpul shotgun stocks. I’m still not clear on what bolt I’m supposed to use (I am guessing the one included with the S4 or go to the hardware store and buy the one erwos specified), but I’m sure the internet will tell me when it’s time to install it.

The Primary Arms SLx 25mm optic with the CQB ACSS reticle appears to be exactly what I was hoping for, but I still need to zero it and see if A.) My preferred buckshot load patterns (Federal #1 flight control) remotely correspond to the donut of death at 25 yards (not really a big deal but would be nice, also I still need to test it for function in this shotgun), and B.) if the slug BDC corresponds to reality out to 100 yards at least. I need to look into what types of slugs they tested the reticle with. It is worth pointing out two downsides: first, per PA, battery life on this optic is only about 12k hours on setting 5 I believe. I knew this going in and don’t care, but others might. Second, as suspected this optic will not remotely cowitness with the iron sights even with the included low mount. Again I’m not concerned with that but wanted others to be aware. If that’s a requirement I would suggest looking at a different optic. I’m sure holosun makes a bullseye reticle optic with a form factor that will cowitness with the sights in some fashion. At any rate this optic is perfect for what I wanted, but others may not care for the low battery life or lack of cowitness. As usual with PA optics that I assume are OEMed by holosun, the LED is bright and crisp, and is only minimally affected by my astigmatism.

Still waiting on the only really necessary parts: Benelli extractor and extractor spring. Also waiting on the TTI charging handle and accuguide. Will probably wait to install the DMW enlarged safety until the TTI parts come.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I noticed Dick's has a couple of Turkish shotguns and I handled a couple of them, including a Citadel Warthog which looks pretty similar to the S4. It was $249 and felt like a $249 gun. The stocks were decent but the action release button was on the left hand side which was strange. Their trigger lock was in the way of really handling it so that was annoying. I am hoping the S4 is a bit better quality feeling in the hand though.

I also noticed that they have the Citadel ATC 12 gauge for $149. I did handle it in the store and I think it was marked $249--which also felt like a $249 gun, but this is really cheap for a semi-auto shotgun.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I wonder what it costs Benelli to make an M4? I understand they use better materials and tolerances and so forth, but it is pretty incredible that the Turks can build a working M4 for 1/4 the Benelli price.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Understood, the point was that I hope the quality in hand of the S4 is better than those I saw at Dick's.
    I would say the quality seems in line with my Mossberg 590 and Remington 870. The two other folks who have shot mine have since purchased S4s. So at least two people who had a chance to use my S4 seemed to think it was a steal at $400. Doesn’t mean you’ll think it’s worth that though. My example seems to be fairly well finished and dehorned (admittedly my standards are pretty low for shotguns), and recoil is very pleasant.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I wonder what it costs Benelli to make an M4? I understand they use better materials and tolerances and so forth, but it is pretty incredible that the Turks can build a working M4 for 1/4 the Benelli price.
    It probably does not cost Benelli a whole lot to make an M4. Price is probably more reflective of supply/demand/opportunity cost than materials and labor.

Also I’m not super convinced the critical components are necessarily made of significantly more durable material, assuming the folks at Aksa remembered to heat treat your example. Better tolerances and finishing I would believe.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    It probably does not cost Benelli a whole lot to make an M4. Price is probably more reflective of supply/demand/opportunity cost than materials and labor.

Also I’m not super convinced the critical components are necessarily made of significantly more durable material, assuming the folks at Aksa remembered to heat treat your example. Better tolerances and finishing I would believe.

Military contracts means you’re not relying on the gun buying public to keep your shotgun sales afloat.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    Still waiting on my Battlehawk Armory shipping notice from my order on 1/12. It was "submitted to warehouse" the same day a couple hours later. It does say it typically takes 2-3 business days for actual shipping but allow up to 7. I was hoping to use it this weekend but that's totally out at this point I'm guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom