• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Word of mouth does a lot. I hope things turn around for you. I'll have to stop in and take a look.

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    Word of mouth does a lot. I hope things turn around for you. I'll have to stop in and take a look.

Cool, thanks...just give us a little while, between the past 2 shows and a semi busy week we are starting to run out of guns:eek:

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    I have to defend Bel Air Gun And Pawn and their owner Shelly. On my first visit I though the place was a little less than friendly especially being an African American. However, I returned to give her a second try and the people there are alot friendly then you think. Shelly will break her back to get you good prices and also stand by her product. Once I could not get a scope sighted and she put it on a bench and sighted for me free of charge. Another time one of her employees answered as many questions as possible while eating his lunch and did it with a smile. Remember everyone has a bad day, however Bel Air Gun and Pawn are always on my radar when I am in the market for a gun.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When you work in a service profession, a "bad day" is not the customer's problem. I have seen the "bad day" and "bad argument" issue brought up quite a bit. I have plenty of days where I am inundated with people all needing me to do something for them. Recently, I have had a couple of days where I have felt overwhelmed. Regardless, my patients are always greeted with a handshake, and smile, and adequate time dedicated to their concerns. I expect the same when I am going to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on something. That being said, I am going to give Bel Air Gun and Pawn a try at some point on the near future.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've dealt with them several times over the past couple of years and I have no complaints. They were friendly, helpful and made me feel welcome.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    I also wanted to add to my last post but forgot to . My son was looking to buy a 30 cal carbine. And at that time Shelly showed a few of them to us , but he was looking for something special . I do not remember what it was , but when I arrived home . She already made some calls and located what he wanted. Left me the information on my house line.
    I have never had a dealer do that for me !:thumbsup:

DeadIDik

Habitual Line Stepper!
    Aug 11, 2008
    Monkton - Kurt Wala 1952-2009
    Sorry but some guy just happens for work there now and claims it was bad employees? Ive known Bob,Dave and Johnny for 25 years and the one i always had the most issues with was Dave. The ATF seemed to have issues with him also and the fact that Shelly is involved means Dave is still lurking next door calling the shots.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Shelley and Dave , and Bob before that have always been nice to me. Usually warmer on the second visit, why are shops like that? I'm always looking for something unusual, used, but the prices always seem to be a bit high. It's possible they are consignments and their hands are tied. I haven't been up that way in a good while so I don't know what has transpired recently. I do know they used to have some employees that were not all that friendly. My only other complaint is that I did stop there a couple of times during the hours posted on their business card and they were closed.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Shelley and Dave , and Bob before that have always been nice to me. Usually warmer on the second visit, why are shops like that? I'm always looking for something unusual, used, but the prices always seem to be a bit high. It's possible they are consignments and their hands are tied. I haven't been up that way in a good while so I don't know what has transpired recently. I do know they used to have some employees that were not all that friendly. My only other complaint is that I did stop there a couple of times during the hours posted on their business card and they were closed.

Well that explains everything ! If they let you in there no wonder the place is going down hill !:D
    Or they may have just seen you coming and told every one to hide behind the counter till you left !:innocent0

I stopped there a couple times before during working hours and they were closed but it was because they are attending gun shows.

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    Sorry but some guy just happens for work there now and claims it was bad employees? Ive known Bob,Dave and Johnny for 25 years and the one i always had the most issues with was Dave. The ATF seemed to have issues with him also and the fact that Shelly is involved means Dave is still lurking next door calling the shots.

Actually Dave has absolutely nothing to do with the gun store and hasn't for 6 or 7 years...there is no Bob or Johnny there anymore either....Just Shelly, Bill and myself...there have been many shops that have had ATF problems, if you knew how minor "the problems" with them were you wouldn't even bring it up. Honestly I won't even try to defend or explain it on here, but I will say that its nothing like people make it out to be. Believe the rumors if you want, there's a reason why the ATF was taken to court and lost...

If people want to give us another chance and feel they deserve a explanation before purchasing a firearm we will talk about it person...

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    I have to defend Bel Air Gun And Pawn and their owner Shelly. On my first visit I though the place was a little less than friendly especially being an African American. However, I returned to give her a second try and the people there are alot friendly then you think. Shelly will break her back to get you good prices and also stand by her product. Once I could not get a scope sighted and she put it on a bench and sighted for me free of charge. Another time one of her employees answered as many questions as possible while eating his lunch and did it with a smile. Remember everyone has a bad day, however Bel Air Gun and Pawn are always on my radar when I am in the market for a gun.

I think most people have had similar experiences to your own...I know I have way before I ever started working there or even becoming a regular customer, pretty much why I became a regular. Honestly I dont think things should ever be about race but since you brought it up I will add that I met a african american man yesterday from P.G. county that drives all the way out to us to buy firearms who apparently has been dealing with Shelly for a while now. He came to pick up a repair and while he was there also purchased another handgun...that wasn't you was it? Shelly and him acted like best buddies and I got the pleasure of meeting another die hard gun collector like myself and we got to share a lot of good laughs...she even gave him a discount on the new gun without him even asking...If it wasn't you then I think that this is a testament to how open minded we are in comparison to some more "conservative" people in the industry. I'm a younger guy so my views are quite different than some of the older guys in business if you know what I'm saying...in fact my best friend in the whole world is african american. You may have even seen him on the news recently, he was the man that got hit by the tornado in fallston and lost his business a couple months ago.

And speaking of that we are in the process of getting a new shop opened for him soon so if anyone likes to have their car detailed he could really use some new business to get back on his feet...even if you dont have you cars cleaned, maybe some people could do it once just to help a man that's down on his luck? The tornado took everything from him, anything would be a big help...even if you just stop in for a quick wash and vac...I'll post up more details as the shop gets closer to opening, it will be in hickory now by the industrial park, right next to the water tower just off the bypass.

Thank you for your kind words sir. I truly appreciate it and I'm sure Shelly will be all smiles when I show her all the new posts in here. Once everybody sees the new attitude I'm sure more good reviews will start piling in here :):):)

21234rick

Aug 16, 2012
    Parkville, MD
    Just my 2 cents...

I stopped by there yesterday looking for a beginners gun for trap/skeet. I am brand new to the sport and have no idea what I am looking for. The woman behind the counter (I assume this is shelly) spent 20 minutes with me showing me some guns that would work for me and also teaching me what I should look for in a trap/skeet gun. I have not purchased a gun yet but her service was great. i felt very welcome even though I was clueless. :thumbsup:

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    I used to go there fairly frequently back in my "youth" (18-22, when I was in the service on leave - I'm only 30 now). My father bought a safe from them next door, very nice setup. While I never purchased any firearms from them, I regularly bought accessories (holsters, mag pouches, scope rings, etc.). Had a buddy of mine in the area who was also a Marine - he seemed to spend every last cent of his hazard pay from A-stan there when he got back on leave. Quite the collection he had by the end of it all.

I want to say this was when Dan and Harry worked there - when I went to GC to purchase my new DDM4V3, Harry looked familiar as all getout, and we briefly touched on the subject before doing some paperwork.

I can't really recall having a "bad" time there, per se, but the selection was always pretty good from what I can remember, and IIRC, there was some badass pit beef stand nearby in the early "aughts".

Now that I'm in Aberdeen it's just too far away, considering GC is on my way home from work in Baltimore. If I found myself in the area of Bel Air G&P, though, I'd still stop in and see what's going on.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    I think most people have had similar experiences to your own...I know I have way before I ever started working there or even becoming a regular customer, pretty much why I became a regular. Honestly I dont think things should ever be about race but since you brought it up I will add that I met a african american man yesterday from P.G. county that drives all the way out to us to buy firearms who apparently has been dealing with Shelly for a while now. He came to pick up a repair and while he was there also purchased another handgun...that wasn't you was it? Shelly and him acted like best buddies and I got the pleasure of meeting another die hard gun collector like myself and we got to share a lot of good laughs...she even gave him a discount on the new gun without him even asking...If it wasn't you then I think that this is a testament to how open minded we are in comparison to some more "conservative" people in the industry. I'm a younger guy so my views are quite different than some of the older guys in business if you know what I'm saying...in fact my best friend in the whole world is african american. You may have even seen him on the news recently, he was the man that got hit by the tornado in fallston and lost his business a couple months ago.

And speaking of that we are in the process of getting a new shop opened for him soon so if anyone likes to have their car detailed he could really use some new business to get back on his feet...even if you dont have you cars cleaned, maybe some people could do it once just to help a man that's down on his luck? The tornado took everything from him, anything would be a big help...even if you just stop in for a quick wash and vac...I'll post up more details as the shop gets closer to opening, it will be in hickory now by the industrial park, right next to the water tower just off the bypass.

Thank you for your kind words sir. I truly appreciate it and I'm sure Shelly will be all smiles when I show her all the new posts in here. Once everybody sees the new attitude I'm sure more good reviews will start piling in here :):):)

I am the guy Shelly was speaking to at the Howard county Gun show with my friend who was looking for a Sig recoil spring. I also purchased a springfield XD and we spoke about the state of guns in Americaat the Howard County show.

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    I am the guy Shelly was speaking to at the Howard county Gun show with my friend who was looking for a Sig recoil spring. I also purchased a springfield XD and we spoke about the state of guns in Americaat the Howard County show.

Not sure if I got to meet you but I'm sure I will this week when you come to pick up the XD. :)

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    I used to go there fairly frequently back in my "youth" (18-22, when I was in the service on leave - I'm only 30 now). My father bought a safe from them next door, very nice setup. While I never purchased any firearms from them, I regularly bought accessories (holsters, mag pouches, scope rings, etc.). Had a buddy of mine in the area who was also a Marine - he seemed to spend every last cent of his hazard pay from A-stan there when he got back on leave. Quite the collection he had by the end of it all.

I want to say this was when Dan and Harry worked there - when I went to GC to purchase my new DDM4V3, Harry looked familiar as all getout, and we briefly touched on the subject before doing some paperwork.

I can't really recall having a "bad" time there, per se, but the selection was always pretty good from what I can remember, and IIRC, there was some badass pit beef stand nearby in the early "aughts".

Now that I'm in Aberdeen it's just too far away, considering GC is on my way home from work in Baltimore. If I found myself in the area of Bel Air G&P, though, I'd still stop in and see what's going on.

I just moved from aberdeen to street...and also a big DD fan. I have a few of their rifles, the latest one is the V5 300 blackout that i picked up a couple months ago and I absolutely love it!

Where do you shoot at? Maybe we can arrange a DD play date lol...I've been wanting to try the V3 out and I would be more than glad to let a fellow owner burn up some of my blackout ammo!

Last edited:

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    Oh and GO RAVENS!!!!!! I'll be in the stands tonight about 20 rows up from the field...hopefully close enough to see Brady cry after a good hit, lol. :)

Elgan

NRA Endowment Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Harford County
    Where do you shoot at? Maybe we can arrange a DD play date lol...I've been wanting to try the V3 out and I would be more than glad to let a fellow owner burn up some of my blackout ammo!

I'm a member up at Delta/Peach Bottom F&G, so that's where I usually go.

I'll probably be up there on the 29th (picking up the DD on Thursday, and waiting for a case of .223 to come in).

pdjoe

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2012
    I'm a member up at Delta/Peach Bottom F&G, so that's where I usually go.

I'll probably be up there on the 29th (picking up the DD on Thursday, and waiting for a case of .223 to come in).

I've never been to the peach bottom range but hear its nice...not far from where I live now so probably a good idea for me to go check out out. If your ammo isn't in by then I have plenty of PMC's at the house I can spot you.

Edit* I just check the calendar and that's a Saturday...unfortunately I will be working unless you plan on going up or being there after 5:00. Do you need a sponsor to join there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom