• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    So this will be my first year deer hunting. The guy helping me said you don't win most of the lotteries so we applied to several of them in parallel. Wouldn't you know it - all of the ones we applied for we won. Currently I'm scheduled for:

Nov 7 Patuxent Central Tract (afternoon slot)
    Nov 12 WSSC Big Branch
    Dec 7 Wye River general area
    Dec 9 Smithsonian ERC
    Jan 12 WSSC Triadelphia

We all won together ... ironically however the first one I'm a primary but my mentor is an alternate, so unless someone is a no-show Saturday my very first hunt will be solo.

Which leads me to my questions:

1. With my mentor (maybe) not along with me to show me how to clean the deer, I'm left with YouTube videos. There are hundreds of them out there. Which one or ones would you best recommend for a first-timer?

2. Assuming I bag a deer, how do I pick a processor? I see a bunch of ads in the MD Hunting and Trapping Guide but rather than throw a dart at one randomly, how do I go about selecting one? (And note Patuxent and where I live is in Anne Arundel County.)

3. Any other advice for a first-timer? My buddy has been great showing me what gear to buy, how to scout for a good tree and look for signs of deer (although at Patuxent I understand they'll assign me to a specific tree), he's loaned me an extra tree climber, etc. But beyond all of that, any other advice?

Thanks much, and wish me luck!

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I say dive in and not only gut it yourself (bring instructions with you if need be, or I bet someone will help you out on an organized hunt), but also process it yourself. I will never bring a deer to a processor again. If you move slow, it will take you an hour to process a deer. $135+ to have a deer processed? It seems worth your time to do it yourself. Then again, I'm into cooking and think it's silly to buy chicken parts when I can cut one up in minutes.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Honestly, I would watch a few youtube videos (all the ones I have seen are adequate), but there is really no substitute for hands-on experience the first time. The good news is that it will be exactly like the youtube video, except for the parts that are different.

Main things to worry about: Cut out the butt/vagina correctly (you really only need to fingers and a sharp knife for this); carefully unzip/cut open the abdomen with a sharp knife; If a buck watch for the urethra. You can cut the ribs open, or not (people debate whether this is easier), or split the pelvis, or not.**

Once you open the abdomen with a sharp knife, the rest is straightforward, Gravity and a sharp knife are your friends. Just take it slowly. Some of the tools on the market are no better than cheap hardware store utility knives, and I have seen people use those very effectively.

Also, don't fret if you gutshot the deer or nick the stomach the first time. It happens. Far more often than people admit. Most of the time, it's not a problem. Rinse the cavity as soon as possible.

I have used Austins. I have not used Hitchcock. Austins does a good job.

** ETA: Your first time, consider splitting the ribs. I used to to this, it helps to see where everything is.

I say dive in and not only gut it yourself (bring instructions with you if need be, or I bet someone will help you out on an organized hunt), but also process it yourself. I will never bring a deer to a processor again. If you move slow, it will take you an hour to process a deer. $135+ to have a deer processed? It seems worth your time to do it yourself. Then again, I'm into cooking and think it's silly to buy chicken parts when I can cut one up in minutes.

Who charges $135?!! Most processors I am familiar with charge $65-85 for the bare bones butchering. If you want boneless, fancy sausage, or other stuff they do charge more.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I'm trying to think how badly one could mess things up when gutting a deer. The fur protects the majority of the meat. Yes you can damage the smallest and most prized portion of meat: the inner loins. Is there really anything to fear? If one is really worried about screwing it up, wouldn't it make sense to just quarter the deer and take the back straps, leaving the inner loins behind?

elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    I used Hitchcock 's. They are really good and very personable. Shot my deer on a Monday got there right when they were closing and had my meat by Wednesday.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I have no advice to give. But good luck. I've been wanting to try hunting for 2 years, but I'm not down for doing it by myself.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So this will be my first year deer hunting. The guy helping me said you don't win most of the lotteries so we applied to several of them in parallel. Wouldn't you know it - all of the ones we applied for we won. Currently I'm scheduled for:

Nov 7 Patuxent Central Tract (afternoon slot)
    Nov 12 WSSC Big Branch
    Dec 7 Wye River general area
    Dec 9 Smithsonian ERC
    Jan 12 WSSC Triadelphia

We all won together ... ironically however the first one I'm a primary but my mentor is an alternate, so unless someone is a no-show Saturday my very first hunt will be solo.

Which leads me to my questions:

1. With my mentor (maybe) not along with me to show me how to clean the deer, I'm left with YouTube videos. There are hundreds of them out there. Which one or ones would you best recommend for a first-timer?

2. Assuming I bag a deer, how do I pick a processor? I see a bunch of ads in the MD Hunting and Trapping Guide but rather than throw a dart at one randomly, how do I go about selecting one? (And note Patuxent and where I live is in Anne Arundel County.)

3. Any other advice for a first-timer? My buddy has been great showing me what gear to buy, how to scout for a good tree and look for signs of deer (although at Patuxent I understand they'll assign me to a specific tree), he's loaned me an extra tree climber, etc. But beyond all of that, any other advice?

Thanks much, and wish me luck!
    #1 have a few sharp knives and a field sharpener...
    heres an ok video... things to be cautious about when cutting out the butthole is not to cut the bladder which is typically in the pelvis cavity. A buttout tool works decent but still have to worry about the bladder. when you get to removing the guts cut the diaphram which is inbetween the guts and the rib cage. It looks like a thin cut of skirt steak.

#2 if you hunt at Patuxent you pass by Rowells butcher shop before you get to prince Frederick heading north . they do a good job processing deer. http://www.deerprocessingprincefrederick.com/

#3 wash your clothes in scent/uv free laundry soap and use scent control spray when you get out of your vehicle and head to the woods. When you see a deer calm down and wait a little bit for your adrenaline to calm down. Otherwise you may get a quick shot on something but miss totally. Take your time, take a deep breath and wait for a good broadside shot. Aim for just behind the shoulder blade.

Deer are habitual, they use a lot of the same trails repeatedly you just have to be in a good spot to see the trails and not spook them getting into your stand. Usually they use the trails to go from bedding zone to eating zone and travel back and forth. A couple hours before last shooting light is the minimum time I would suggest getting into the stand 3 plus is better just incase you make a lot of noise getting into your spot...for evening hunts. also a couple hours before first light for morning hunts and stay till around 9-10am if possible.

Jan 13, 2014
    I think the videos will all show the general process of unzipping the deer, removing the bowels, bladder, and rear end. You will also need to cut out the diaphragm, remove the vital organs, and reach up into the chest cavity and cut away the trachea. You will get messy but most of it will wash off, just bring some towels to wipe up when you get back to your truck. You might want to get a small bone saw that you can use to cut through the pelvis. Sometimes doing this makes it easier to remove the anus without getting poop all inside the deer. You can also use the bone saw to split the sternum to make it easier to access the trachea but I have never done this. To me the hardest part physically is getting the deer back to and into your truck. A sled or cart is really useful because it not only makes the drag easier but it also helps keep a lot of the dirt and debris from getting into the cavity and sticking to the meat. Also invest in a headlamp and pack extra batteries. For my first deer I had to field dress while also holding a small flashlight with my teeth.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I second the suggestion to butcher the deer yourself. It is not as hard or complex as you might think.

Regarding removing the guts, my tip is to bring two zip ties or two pieces of string. Once you cut out the anus/vag, reach up and cut out the heart (best food ever) and liver (if you like liver), then cut the wind pipe. Set the heart and liver aside to keep them clean. Then, put a zip on the intestines about six inches up from the anus, zip it tihgt, then put another about an inch away from that and zip it tight. Then cut the intestine between the two zips and pull the six inch piece of intestine through the anus/vag out through the pelvis. Then use gravity to help you dump the rest of the guts. There will be absolutely no mess this way.

I processed a deer this way on Saturday. The only tools I used was a small knife and a sharpener. I sharpened it before starting and then went to work. No saw, fancy tool, or anything needed. Roll up your sleeves first. You won't get much blood on you. Wash it off with water and grass/leaves after and you're all set.

MY authority on all butchering is the great Mr. Scott Rea of Worcestershire, England. Watch these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoawhsmKIEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBXouv8DI9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4mOy3QwB50

Then check out his recipes when you're ready to eat. I love this man.

Don't worry too much about field dressing. It's not as complicated as it might sound. Watch 10 or 15 videos this week and you'll be fine. That's what I did and I figured it out. Humans have been doing this for 500,000 years. You have it in you to get it done.

Good luck! You've picked a great sport.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Bring some thinner nylon rope and gut the deer with a sapling on each side that you can tie the ropes to. Tie them to the part of the legs below the hocks so the belly splays out. This will help you when gutting so the legs don't keep flopping over and the deer flopping on it's side. If no saplings, bigger trees can work, or you can use your knees to hold the legs open. I found it much easier tying at least 1 leg to a small tree. I gutted 3 deer last season, and didn't nick the paunch or intestines, and spilled no pee on the meat. When done getting all the stuff out, I lifted the deer up some to get most of the blood to come out. 2 of the deer I did in the dark by headlamp.

acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Im a new hunter as well, just started 3 years ago. I got my first deer last year, and one yesterday. Honestly the best advice i could give is what is obvious; stay still, be quiet, take a good shot. Both of my deer were taken on public land hunting from the ground. I think a lot of people think they need private land or high tech gear for hunting but i say just get out there! Good luck!

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Heres a few of my favorite tips.

If possible, drag the deer to a hill or incline. Position it with the head uphill. Gravity will help drain the fluids.

I use two hands and a sharp/sturdy knife to split the ribcage. Emerson folder is my knife of choice.

I have a pelvis saw but prefer a wire saw to split the pelvis.

Cut the windpipe and use that as a handle as you separate the pluck from the carcass. Gravity is your third hand.

Bring gallon zip locks for the heart and liver.

Good luck!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I don't know about any $135. A drive from AA, but I took my first deer to M&G up in Carroll. I just got it back, $70 for the processing and it is packaged really well. Vacuum sealed for all of the steaks and roasts and stuff and nice plastic sealed ground. Should be nice and freezer safe for no burning.

I do want to process my own at some point, but especially in warmer weather I have no where to hang a deer where I wouldn't need to process it within hours and that most likely isn't happening. Cold weather where it wasn't getting above 40s, sure I could probably do it hanging it in my shed or garage. For field dressing, I watched a bunch of videos and was still stumped with it mostly gutted. Gave up, pulled a glove off and youtubed another video and noticed what I was missing. I couldn't reach the esophagus to cut it because I needed to cut a few ribs first and the guts also weren't coming out because I had to cut the diaphragm loose.

Next time I could probably do it in less than 10 minutes instead of the 20 it took me. Dragging it out was a peach. Mine was a good 140+lbs field dressed and of course got caught on everything on the way out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also I second go slow. I got my buck at he end of the 3 days of early muzzleloader after hunting all day he first two and the second half of Saturday. I still hunted through from 1hr after legal light (coozied up in a likely spot an hour before legal light each morning) till about 11, racked out in my car till 1pm and started again until about 4:30 and setup again till legal light ended. First morning I screwed getting a doe at 9am as I stupidly spent time putting ear protection in when it was 30yds away and the doe I think finally caught my scent after about a minute of looking all around as it bolted while looking away from me as I was finally shouldering my ML. Another one 30 minutes later was in brush too thick and headed in to deeper stuff. So I tried to creep a few steps for w clear shot over about 3 minutes and it bolted. The next day I missed a shot on a doe running across my path at 70yds. Clean miss (lead too much). Final day I setup at 4:30, buck walked out about 2 minutes before sunset. I calmed down after my initial burst of adrenalin. Let it walk obliquely towards me for about a minute or two and took it behind the shoulder when it paused between two trees at 75yds and about 10yds down a hill.

My sight was much steadier than I thought it would be (I was seated). Other than the first 10 seconds, I was able to steady myself a lot and calm way down. Shot going off surprised me. I mean, I meant to, but the trigger on my wolf breaks so cleanly there is no take-up. So unless I jerk the trigger, squeezing always ends up as a surprise on the exact instant it fires. Smoke cleared and he made a U turn back the way he came going no more than 25yds, stopped and fell over. Tossed his head and twitched for less than a minute before he stopped moving.

Both lungs were mush. Bullet went in the top left lung and out near the bottom right lung. Thumb sized entrance and silver dollar sized exit (with 3 ribs shattered on the exit).

Now time to do it again in a few weeks, in part to prove to myself it wasn't a fluke. In part because I want to put some more meat in the freezer to get through the year and in part I LOVE hunting.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I don't know about any $135. A drive from AA, but I took my first deer to M&G up in Carroll. I just got it back, $70 for the processing and it is packaged really well. Vacuum sealed for all of the steaks and roasts and stuff and nice plastic sealed ground. Should be nice and freezer safe for no burning.

I do want to process my own at some point, but especially in warmer weather I have no where to hang a deer where I wouldn't need to process it within hours and that most likely isn't happening. Cold weather where it wasn't getting above 40s, sure I could probably do it hanging it in my shed or garage. For field dressing, I watched a bunch of videos and was still stumped with it mostly gutted. Gave up, pulled a glove off and youtubed another video and noticed what I was missing. I couldn't reach the esophagus to cut it because I needed to cut a few ribs first and the guts also weren't coming out because I had to cut the diaphragm loose.

Next time I could probably do it in less than 10 minutes instead of the 20 it took me. Dragging it out was a peach. Mine was a good 140+lbs field dressed and of course got caught on everything on the way out.
    Congratulations! I guess Montgomery County MD was a little more expensive and I may have included some specialty processing like snack sticks, sausages, and breakfast sausage the last time I had a deer processed. When i gut deer, I've never cut a pelvic bone or a rib. I use zip knife, regular knife, and a butt out tool.

I'm now living in SW Virginia and I honestly don't know of any deer processors down here so I'll butcher the deer myself, even though it is warmer here than it is in MD. It will make for a long day, but Ill process the deer in the same day and immediately vacuum seal and freeze the meat. Before I cook the meat, I will let it 'age' in the refrigerator for a week after it thaws.

If I'm too wiped out, I'll quarter out the deer, remove the inner loins, and remove the back straps. For the quartering part, I'll leave the skin on, but wrap each quarter in individual bags and put everything into a cooler and cover them with bagged ice.

I have to remember that I don't have to run out to work the next day, so commercial processing for those that do, makes perfect sense.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For me, I don't want to possibly mess things up and I love the ground. So it is justifying the investment on a good meat grinder as well as getting some apprenticeship from the guy down the street from me. He moved from CA a few months ago and butchers all his own. I just need the stars to align to get one and have him free. I could probably manage with just some videos and the fact most of it is pretty straight forward, but I don't want to invest in a grinder until I've done it once and know it isn't that bad. Of course I guess I could always butcher one and save off the parts for the ground and take that somewhere to be ground my first time butchering.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    Honestly, I know a lot of people haven't been to fond of the kitchen-aid attachments, but I have had good success with that grinder. Now, I never have more than say 8lbs of meat at a time and I trim it up decently, but it works like a charm, IMO.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    My grinder came in the mail yesterday. I can't wait to make sausages with the trim from the deer I got last weekend. Tip for anyone thinking of making venison sausage: Costco just started carrying pork bellies. It's a great way to get some good, clean fat for sausages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom