• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Ok, so I've been on a bit of a blade buying binge lately. What of it? :cool:

Here's what I've added to my collection:

Bradley Mayhem balisong. This is an OUTSTANDING flipper that's made as an EDC rather than show knife. Sturdy, razor-sharp modified spearpoint blade; smooth operating bead blasted titanium handles; belt clip; and Benchmade's spring-loaded latch. As you can see in the second photo, when closed, the rear side of the blade could easily act as a glass breaker, or in social situations, ahem, would get someone's attention when it was pressed up under their jaw. This knife is made for Bradley by Benchmade. Pricey at $230, but the quality is really there on this one. Looking forward to carrying this for years to come!

Mayhem1.jpg

Mayhem2.jpg

Here's another Bradley flipper. This one's the Kimura V. It has a beautifully proportioned, also razor sharp, spear point blade (Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel) and skeletonized stainless steel handles. Feels great in the hand - heavier than the Mayhem - and flips open and closed easily and smoothly. I don't know any "tricks" so I don't know how good it is for that, but I expect much better than the Mayhem which is lighter. I think this is a bargain for $89.

KimuraV1.jpg

KimuraV2.jpg

Next is a Kershaw Funxion DIY Spring Assisted Knife. I just thought this was cool and would make a good knife for my gun bag. Has a 3 inch blade in aluminum handles with a rubber insert for good grip. The Funxion also has a carabiner clip, screwdriver, hex wrench, and bottle opener. A cool knife for $35.

Kershaw1.jpg

Kershaw2.jpg

And finally a Svord Peasant Knife. I think RaVis mentioned it in a thread and I decided I had to have one. Man, I thought the Opinel's were rustic. They're elegant in comparison. But there's just something about rustic and simple that's also appealing to me. The Svord is rustic. Had a 3.25 inch carbon steel, drop point blade. Mine's mounted in a Wenge wood handle - which I'm thinking about sanding a bit smoother! Was a bit dull out of the package, but a few passes through the Work Sharp fixed that. This is actually a pretty cool, New Zealand made, knife and worth having one for $24.

Svord1.jpg

Svord2.jpg

I think I might be done for a while as I also added the CRKT Shrimp and a SOG Tomahawk. Hope you enjoyed seeing these.

JohnnyBmore

This is not a"FREE STATE"
    Feb 3, 2011
    Nice man!! As I have said before the Mayhem is a quality knife, Now the Kimura though is totally underrated !! the Kimuras all have crazy sharp blades and are built tough , decent flippers too .

As you guys already know I buy way to many knives!!!

You have seen a good portion of my Balisong collection , but soon I will have to show off my Fixed blades ...

Just added a BRK Grasso Bolo I and II , here are some stock shots I will have to get out a get some pics of my own this week .

gb1_grn_can_259_95_600.jpg

gb2_grn_can_279_95_600.jpg

gb2_sheath_2_600.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Very nice. I just acquired an ESSE-4 Fixed Blade. I use a blade every day so ill get my use out of this one. I broke my SIG Folding Knife this week.

JohnnyBmore

Feb 3, 2011
    Very nice. I just acquired an ESSE-4 Fixed Blade. I use a blade every day so ill get my use out of this one. I broke my SIG Folding Knife this week.

Love the ESEE knives I own the 3, Junglas and the LASER strike .
    carried the ESEE 3 at work for nearly a year .

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Any issues? Micarta Grips come lose? Blade lose its edge fast?

None that I've ever heard, read or experienced myself. IF they get loose, blue locktite will fix that. Just don't over tighten. People have been stripping their screws putting the handles back on after cleaning - no need to do that.

Their 1095 at 57 Rockwell is a hard use blade. Nothing extravagant... just proven performance. You might want to adjust the edge angle depending on what you use the knife the most to prolong edge retention. Some have put a convex edge on 'em. 1095 is easy to maintain. Hone (touch up) don't sharpen (unnecessarily remove more steel).

:thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They are warranted for life aren't they?

I believe so but I would prefer not to have to use it.

None that I've ever heard, read or experienced myself. IF they get loose, blue locktite will fix that. Just don't over tighten. People have been stripping their screws putting the handles back on after cleaning - no need to do that.

Their 1095 at 57 Rockwell is a hard use blade. Nothing extravagant... just proven performance. You might want to adjust the edge angle depending on what you use the knife the most to prolong edge retention. Some have put a convex edge on 'em. 1095 is easy to maintain. Hone (touch up) don't sharpen (unnecessarily remove more steel).

Excellent. Thanks :)

JohnnyBmore

Feb 3, 2011
    Any issues? Micarta Grips come lose? Blade lose its edge fast?

No issues at all from the ESEE 3, that one has seen the most use ... I will say the carbon steel edge does not stay nearly as long as some of these wonder steels today , but Its pretty easy to sharpen (fine stone )and definitely strong.

I plan on doing some chopping and fire prep with the Junglas and the Grasso Bolo's this weekend, kinda pitting the two against each other .. I will let you know if I have any issues.

yeah he said it way better then me ..lol

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    circleshooter,

Check out this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/knivesandstuff

He's a friend in NZ who first introduced me to Svord. He used to be a dealer for them and webmaster. Now he's a custom knifemaker. His first knives where Svord Peasant blades made into small fixed blade knives. He pitched the idea to Baker and he released the EDC Hiker. Unfortunately, credit wasn't give where it was due.

edchiker-500x.jpg

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Mine's mounted in a Wenge wood handle - which I'm thinking about sanding a bit smoother! Was a bit dull out of the package, but a few passes through the Work Sharp fixed that. This is actually a pretty cool, New Zealand made, knife and worth having one for $24.

They used to put a NZ mahogany variant wood on their knives with slightly better QC. Admittedly, to keep their costs low, they had to cut on the QC a little. Luckily, it wasn't to the point where the user of the knife couldn't "polish out the rough edges". The L6 steel is great and I've experimented with different edge angles on the Peasants primarily.

I was surprised at Svord's movie credits. They've been featured in a few.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Just added a BRK Grasso Bolo I and II , here are some stock shots I will have to get out a get some pics of my own this week .

gb2_grn_can_279_95_600.jpg

Wow! I'm not much in to fixed blades, but I could own this one. I only have a couple of fixed blades, but I do like this L.C. Patrick Puuko with a 3 inch blade. Here's a crappy quick pic.

LCPatrick.jpg

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.

Im quite surprised my friend. ESSE's are nice starter knives but for a professional like you...I just figured you would be running something in a super steel like CPM-3V or S30V or S35VN. You need to get more into this knife thread.:D
    Wish we could get together so you could handle some top quality blades. In hand, you can really feel the difference. Edge retention wise, 1095 doesn't even compare to these other steels. Good yes, great no.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    He needs to experience a Chris Reeve. He'd appreciate the attention paid to quality, tight tolerances and performance.

I agree. Soooooo many other quality knives other than ESEE. I remember back when I used to love ESEE's. I've had a few. But once you've handled better quality blades (customs, semi-customs, production, custom production) the differences soon become glaringly clear. Grinds matter, steel matters, edge bevel matters, grip material/fit matters,sharpenability matters, heat treat matters most. The higher the price goes typically, not always, but typically these things quantify into a higher quality piece of steel.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im quite surprised my friend. ESSE's are nice starter knives but for a professional like you...I just figured you would be running something in a super steel like CPM-3V or S30V or S35VN. You need to get more into this knife thread.:D
    Wish we could get together so you could handle some top quality blades. In hand, you can really feel the difference. Edge retention wise, 1095 doesn't even compare to these other steels. Good yes, great no.

He needs to experience a Chris Reeve. He'd appreciate the attention paid to quality, tight tolerances and performance.

I agree. Soooooo many other quality knives other than ESEE. I remember back when I used to love ESEE's. I've had a few. But once you've handled better quality blades (customs, semi-customs, production, custom production) the differences soon become glaringly clear. Grinds matter, steel matters, edge bevel matters, grip material/fit matters,sharpenability matters, heat treat matters most. The higher the price goes typically, not always, but typically these things quantify into a higher quality piece of steel.

Ill definately consider an upgrade. I can appreciate the things you mention. I just need to work my way up. Its what I did with my firearms, I slowly upgraded.

This knife will share daily carry and my get gome/bug out bag. I also carry a hawk, and saperka on my pack along with an old Queen Cutlery Game kKnife that was my Grandfathers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom