Beat the cold with a this setup BB Gun range.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Been doing this for years. I also have shot .22 Super Colibris when they were cheap. I try to get in a half hour of shooting a couple nights a week over the cold season.
    John

Me too - for about 25 years. Unfortunately, quality airguns are about as expensive as firearms and quite addictive! But I only own a dozen or so . . . :rolleye12

osu_peanuts

Jan 29, 2015
    What it helps

I like to use it just to work on trigger control, breathing and proper sight alignment. Just working on the basics. Helps alot when you go back on the range. Keeps that muscle memory active

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Planning on doing something similar myself.
    Son is shooting 10 meter 3 position air rifle in NJROTC at the high school and I have been helping coach since the beginning of the year. Our school target range is in an old classroom/trailer.
    The target stands are wood frame with a metal plate in the back about 2" behind the target. The pellets flatten nicely and drop in the void space for easy cleanout. Rarely will any pellets or even fragments leave this "trap". Velocity is <600fps.
    Purchased a reconditioned Daisy 853 for $100 from the CMP store at Camp Perry while we were out there for a match so he can practice at home and I can get the younger one an early start before he gets in high school.
    For a well used reconditioned rifle this thing is a tack driver. Still has Army ROTC stickers on the stock. I may try and smooth out the trigger a little.
    Now I just have to get the d@mn basement clean enough to set up our range.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    You can build your own pellet trap if you happen to have scrap cardboard or phone books. Basically cut scraps or stack up sheets into a box that is about 10"x10"xwhatever depth necessary. You can put a target on the front and shoot it all day long with .22 pellets from a high powered air rifle, I've found the penetration from about 30-feet to be 6" at best. My homemade trap is 24" deep and just swapping around the scraps inside refreshes it over and over again. Easy and free.

For the metal traps, consider lining the back with a layer of duct seal if you want quiet operation. Works like a charm.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    We don't mind the noise. We tell our shooters to hold their sight picture until after they hear the pellet impact, helps them with follow through.

ELLICOTT

Feb 28, 2015
    I just wanted to share this little setup I have in our basement. Its fun to go down and just plink at some targets on a cold day or if you have the kids over to let them learn how to shoot the bb gun.

Here my basement has a line of about 25 yards so its not a far distance. So making sure you have a good backstop is important. I purchased this
    Do-All Outdoors .22/.17 Bullet Box for 56.96. It is built really well and has no issue at all breaking up the pellets and I have never had one leave the trap. It does get dusty but thats about it.

I am using a Crosman Vantage NP (.177) for reference.

So any questions let me know, but just wanted to share for those who may want a indoor little range. This is a pretty nice setup. I thought I would share.
    View attachment 144247

View attachment 144248

View attachment 144249
    Very nice! I started shooting air guns when 22 ammo became almost impossible to buy in MD. I used it to force me to clean up my basement and now have two large target backstops with lighted targets,one is more for bb guns and the other is for high powered pellet guns. I have one target I made that has rows of spoons that spin when hit. I only have about thirty feet though. I enjoy it and it's much cheaper to do than joining a range,shoot some before dinner is ready or before going to work. Try shooting army men,it's a blast. Have a blessed day my friend.

ELLICOTT

Feb 28, 2015
    Planning on doing something similar myself.
    Son is shooting 10 meter 3 position air rifle in NJROTC at the high school and I have been helping coach since the beginning of the year. Our school target range is in an old classroom/trailer.
    The target stands are wood frame with a metal plate in the back about 2" behind the target. The pellets flatten nicely and drop in the void space for easy cleanout. Rarely will any pellets or even fragments leave this "trap". Velocity is <600fps.
    Purchased a reconditioned Daisy 853 for $100 from the CMP store at Camp Perry while we were out there for a match so he can practice at home and I can get the younger one an early start before he gets in high school.
    For a well used reconditioned rifle this thing is a tack driver. Still has Army ROTC stickers on the stock. I may try and smooth out the trigger a little.
    Now I just have to get the d@mn basement clean enough to set up our range.
    Nice to hear a young guy enjoying shooting,great that your helping. He will never forget those times. If you need a silent target for basement use duct seal in a wooden box. (google silent pellet trap) Have a blessed day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom