Bear Creek Arsenal 7.62 x 39 Complete Upper ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    My Brother is looking at this complete upper receiver to be able to shoot .30 cal ammo on his existing Bushmaster AR lower. He wants 7.62 x 39 as opposed to 300 BL as the ammo is less expensive and he doesn't handload. Does anyone here on MDS have any experience with the quality of Bear Creek Arsenal uppers in general or the 7.62 x 39 in particular? Here is a link to the upper in question.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Bear Creek is about the worst you can get. But some guys will say they work fine.

I wouldn't take it for free.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    My 300 BO upper eats whatever I throw at it..
    Is it the best? hell no, but it goes bang when I want it to and doesn't go bang when I don't want it to

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    BCA has a pretty horrible reputation.

That said, don't buy a rifle length x39 upper w/ carbine gas length anyway. x39 already has much more recoil than 5.56. Carbine gas is going to make it extremely difficult to tune it down.

They are the kings of hit or miss. Some are absolute garbage, yet others work fine.
    I have a BCA .450BM upper that is reliable and shoots 1.25" groups at 100yds. To be honest, I wouldn't have bought it had it been more than the $200 I paid for it as a complete upper. (I bought it as used/unfired)

FZRracer400!

Nov 8, 2022
    RIP MD.
    I’ve got a BCA 308 upper. Accuracy is actually great, I’ve got to be honest . However They put the wrong length gas tube in, and wouldn’t answer my emails in regards to it. All they did was send me a new tube……of the same incorrect length. Had me chasing my tail when I first built the rifle……aside from good spring/buffer/mag combos for the lower half. All that said, it was a shits and giggles project at the time, that sweat equity turned it into a nice hunter………but I’d never get another BCA

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I bought a fair share of bca uppers for non serious range burner plinking use and they do the job. I had a couple where the gasblocks came loose but that was it.

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bought a 7.62x39 BCA upper from Classic Firearms some years back. So far, it's been fine. It eats up steel cased Wolf, damn accurate, only thing I've done is put a longer firing pin in it. About the best $199 I've ever spent.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My BCA 5.56 upper came with a chamber not even cut enough to fire .223 and was popping primers at the first outing. Absolutely zero free-bore which created a dangerous firearm and splattered my face with debris on firing.

It was cheap enough that I bought another barrel and replaced it.

Friends don't let friends buy BCA!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My advice; if you want a BCA because of the cost, by all means buy one. When you get it, take it completely apart and rebuild it from the ground up. That way, you'll at least know it is put together right.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Huh. I've had zero issues with my 7.62x39 BCA complete upper. Bought the upper and BCG as a combo and it shoots great. It'll eat any ammo I throw at it without any problems. Accuracy is fine, no issues with chambering, gas block, etc.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Generally a combination of both...
    There is at least one opinion in this thread I know comes from factual, first hand info, and most likely multiples of experiences that I trust wholly even though my personal experience differs (see above posts)....I chalk my experience up as luck in this case.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Clandestine (the poster above you) is one of the most knowledgeable AR gunsmiths on the east coast.
    That being said, I got a BCA for dirt cheap and have been quite happy with it.
    When I was younger and poorer I bought a BCA complete 7.62x39 AR for $300.

Then I took the remainder of my budget and signed-up for Clandestine's AR Armorer 101 class.

The rifle had only one minor flaw in it's manufacturing, the gas key screws, which we replaced in the class.

I still have the rifle and it still runs great, probably 2K rounds through it over the years.

This is not an endorsement of BCA, just another perspective on weighing your options when you're on a limited budget. I'm glad I bought the rifle because it meant I was able to afford Clandestine's course.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I own one Bear creek product but I sure hear many negatives about them and read them first hand here.
    Gotta be something more to it than their products just are no good.
    I guess I just got lucky for the purpose but no complaints out of me so far.
    I must say though however, the bolt carrier wasn’t much better in appearance than some Kyber pass products I’ve observed In the past but I knew I wasn’t buying a Cadillac either when I bought it.
    I’ve killed deer with products with a worse reputation that’s for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom