• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You're right - it didn't say that in the article, and that's not the kind of thing you'll see in an article. I might not have been clear about it - the comments were where there was talk (from several gunsmiths and people who work at trap and skeet ranges) that the 500 might not be as durable as an 870. I don't necessarily think those were necessarily fanboi comments either - it's not the only place I've seen talk that the 500 has some durability issues compared to the 500.

Those kind of gunsmiths are the ones who turn their noses up at both 870s and 500s. The remington is just more accpeted in those shooting circles. Ill call it fanboyism.

My mentor is the same way. Talks about how shitty mossbergs are and the repair racks full of 870s with bad feed latches and function issues. Of the rack, maybe a few mossberg 500s sprinkled in there.

If mossbergs were less durable I would have seen more when I was a general gunsmith when you account f9r the quantities of the models from both manufacturers in service. Remington shotguns were in my hands broken way more often and are more difficult to repair. Even if you dont want to believe they have service issues more often, there is NO dispute that mossbergs dont need factory ir a gunsmith to replace parts as I discussed in the O.P.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Those kind of gunsmiths are the ones who turn their noses up at both 870s and 500s. The remington is just more accpeted in those shooting circles. Ill call it fanboyism.

My mentor is the same way. Talks about how shitty mossbergs are and the repair racks full of 870s with bad feed latches and function issues. Of the rack, maybe a few mossberg 500s sprinkled in there.

If mossbergs were less durable I would have seen more when I was a general gunsmith when you account f9r the quantities of the models from both manufacturers in service. Remington shotguns were in my hands broken way more often and are more difficult to repair. Even if you dont want to believe they have service issues more often, there is NO dispute that mossbergs dont need factory ir a gunsmith to replace parts as I discussed in the O.P.
    That's fair. Honestly, I just thought it was an interesting article that was worth looking at, and nothing really more than that.

In my experience, I've never really had any kind of breakage on a gun with the exception of the dust cover on my basic training M16 breaking - the little ball detent fell out.

Otherwise, I'm going to fall into the category I think most shooters fall into - they swear by the guns they own because they work just fine, whether it's a Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, Ithaca, etc. If the shotguns Dad used had been Mossbergs rather than Remington 870s, that's what I'd have, that's what I'd be used to, and that's the gun whose praises I'd sing, simply because I wouldn't have any other experience.

rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    Rem. 870

Why should we own both if we know one suites?

Bought new in 1964 with a 28" Vent Rib (12 Ga. Modified Choke) for approx.$70.00.
    I used that shotgun in Md. for Ducks, Geese, Quail and Pheasants, various varmits. Saltwater,rain, snow and duckings into creeks/rivers. I also shot Trap, formal & Informal. until last fall. Everybit of 20,000 Rds fired without a single breakage or FTF. Son has it now.

Rob

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I own a Maverick 88 Security and a Mossy 590A1. Both are tanks and I have never had an issue out of either.

I owned one newer 870 and it was complete junk. As stated, it was newer production. Constant jamming, feed issues and for the love of God, do not accidentally load an extra round in the feed.

I do not care for the 870 stall based on my personal ownership of one. Let alone the issues with repairing some parts of them.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's too bad that QC seems to have gotten so bad for Remington in recent years. I remember that when I was a kid (70s/80s) Remington shotguns were in abundance among people who used a shotgun to hunt ducks and upland game - lots of 870s, and a bunch of 1100s.

At some point I want to dip my toe in the tacti-cool waters and do up and tactical shotgun, and I'm thinking of getting a Mossberg for that, mainly so that I can have comparative experience between the two - I've got good experience with the 870s, but who knows - I may find something I like better.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    My ~15 y/o 870 (purchased new) does that "hard to extract/pump" thing every 15 shots or so. VERY annoying. I assumed it would break in, but it never did.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    It's too bad that QC seems to have gotten so bad for Remington in recent years. I remember that when I was a kid (70s/80s) Remington shotguns were in abundance among people who used a shotgun to hunt ducks and upland game - lots of 870s, and a bunch of 1100s.

At some point I want to dip my toe in the tacti-cool waters and do up and tactical shotgun, and I'm thinking of getting a Mossberg for that, mainly so that I can have comparative experience between the two - I've got good experience with the 870s, but who knows - I may find something I like better.

590A1 is a hell of a good place to start. Like I stated, I have never had one issue out of mine. It spent half its life in the back of a Police cruiser as a duty weapon and my buddy never had an issue out of it either. He trusted his life to it. Good enough for me.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    590A1 is a hell of a good place to start. Like I stated, I have never had one issue out of mine. It spent half its life in the back of a Police cruiser as a duty weapon and my buddy never had an issue out of it either. He trusted his life to it. Good enough for me.
    The shotgun in my Dad's police car was an 870 - probably made pre-1970 too.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    [
    QUOTE=rob257;4315292]Bought new in 1964 with a 28" Vent Rib (12 Ga. Modified Choke) for approx.$70.00.
    I used that shotgun in Md. for Ducks, Geese, Quail and Pheasants, various varmits. Saltwater,rain, snow and duckings into creeks/rivers. I also shot Trap, formal & Informal. until last fall. Everybit of 20,000 Rds fired without a single breakage or FTF. Son has it now.

Rob
    [/QUOTE]

Those mid 60's and early 70's vintage 870's were the best built and slick 870's every produced. They were a working man's shotgun so saw so much use so hard to find them in high condition these days.

I know a man who began work @ Remington assembling 870's during that era and he said we hand fitted the parts why they function so well out of the box without a break in period. Famous Trap shooter Etchen shot a high grade 870 @ Trap, the twin action bars finally broke @ 3 million rounds so not bad for a mass produced shotgun.

I shot mode model 12's for years, the 870 is much better pump all things considered.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton

I am an 870 fanboy. It's what i grew up with and what I know. But the bolded above is exactly what has me looking at mossbergs. I want to limit my dependency on others to fix my stuff. No disrespect to gunsmiths. I just don't like relying on others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom