• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Went to my first live auction Saturday morning at a local venue. Most of the stuff there was equipment and tools but there was several guns there. Most of it was sporting rifles or complete junk, but there was a couple gems there in the form of German Gew. 98 rifles. Even those didn't look very good though, but I've been neglecting to get one so I figured I'd see if I could grab them for cheap. The competition didn't look very fierce before the auction, seemed like mostly a mix of bubba and good ol' country boys except for one obvious gun dealer who I saw looking over the stuff early on and talking to someone over the phone about them. I laughed at one point when I saw a guy looking at the older stuff and say something to the effect of "why would anybody want to buy a gun that's over 50 years old?"

Anyway, the dealer I saw looking over the stuff beforehand put up some resistance over the Gew 98's and beat me on two of them. I thought I'd won the decent all matching Amberg but instead I won the mismatched Spandau I didn't want that much which kinda made me mad. I won an all matching Mauser Oberndorf though, but it was the ugliest looking one out of the 4. Turned out to have a great surprise with it though. I was also a little annoyed that I had to go pay the dealer who beat me on the other 2 rifles to do the transfer for me since the auction house was using him, but that's the way it goes sometimes. All of the rifles were not import marked.

The 1915 Mauser was the real score though. I won it for $375 which to most people might seem like too much. It's got a lot of corrosion/pitting on it and the stock has a lot of damage. Every single number down to the screws matches though, which is incredibly hard to find for a 1915 or earlier dated rifle, as most were chewed up and didn't survive fully intact due to WWI. This one almost didn't survive though, and I somewhat doubt whoever carried it did.

Looking over the damage, it's pretty obvious that an artillery shell or grenade went off and the shrapnel tore into the stock and put a few small craters in the receiver. There's a few very small visible pieces on the butt, and a magnet I have stuck to one of the larger holes. I stripped it down in order to get rid of the active rust, and found a larger piece embedded in front of the receiver where it cracked the stock. I might have watched a little too much CSI, and this might be stupid, but the pattern of the damage looks like the rifle must have been held up when it was hit. The large amount of pitting makes me think it was wet or laid out in the open for a while. The bore sucks, but the rifle seems like it'll still shoot. Not that I'm going to though. If you look closely in the last picture you can see a larger piece of shrapnel stuck in the hole it made

Attachments

• IMG_3203.jpg
      IMG_3203.jpg
      125.9 KB · Views: 851
    • IMG_3216.jpg
      IMG_3216.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 854
    • IMG_3217.jpg
      IMG_3217.jpg
      82.4 KB · Views: 844
    • IMG_3237.jpg
      IMG_3237.jpg
      96.3 KB · Views: 882
    • IMG_3275.jpg
      IMG_3275.jpg
      127 KB · Views: 835
    • IMG_3290.jpg
      IMG_3290.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 828
    • IMG_3297.jpg
      IMG_3297.jpg
      57 KB · Views: 757
    • IMG_3310.jpg
      IMG_3310.jpg
      89.9 KB · Views: 850
    • IMG_3359.jpg
      IMG_3359.jpg
      80.3 KB · Views: 818
    • IMG_3365.jpg
      IMG_3365.jpg
      82.7 KB · Views: 830
    Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Looks like the shell exploded overhead and in front of the gun. Assuming the rifle was pointed at troops in front on the ground you could measure the angle of the gouges and using trigonometry project where the shell was when it let loose. INCOMMING!

A definite piece of history.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks guys! I really wish it was unit marked, but I think by that time of the war they realized it might not be a good idea to keep putting them on the rifles. The bolt takedown disk is pretty pitted, so I'll have to look closer to see if I can make out any markings.

Oddly enough, the auction had this one labeled as a "Contract Mauser" and had all the others labeled as "K98"

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The old saying "if it could just talk" certainly applies here. Cool! Shocked over the news about the Amberg, thought you scored that one for sure. As we discussed that day, I can only wonder what these would have sold for had they been given some love and attention once they got stateside as you don't see GEWs without import marks often.
    Sucks that the dealer you pointed out to me was the guy doing the transfers too. Just pours a bit of salt into an open wound. At least you got something of a discount for using a C&R.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    The old saying "if it could just talk" certainly applies here. Cool! Shocked over the news about the Amberg, thought you scored that one for sure. As we discussed that day, I can only wonder what these would have sold for had they been given some love and attention once they got stateside as you don't see GEWs without import marks often.
    Sucks that the dealer you pointed out to me was the guy doing the transfers too. Just pours a bit of salt into an open wound. At least you got something of a discount for using a C&R.

Yea I was pretty mad at myself when I went over and saw my bid number on the Spandau instead of the Amberg. Oh well, I should've paid more attention but it didn't help that they practically just threw the rifles up and started the bidding. I definitely made him pay for the other two though, I think I pushed the Amberg and DWM up to $450-475 before I dropped out, which was still a decent price even with the condition they were in.

The dealer was a nice enough guy though, easy to work with. I guess I can't really blame him for charging $20 per rifle for the C&R transfer, he's gotta make money too.

I'll try and get pictures of the Spandau up later today

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Anybody think the largest hole on the comb of the stock (picture #7) could have been some kind of other impact strike? I don't want to go as far as to say a bullet struck it, but it looks like it's going in a different direction than the other scars.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Very cool pickup! I absolutely love the battle damaged pieces, I realize it may be considered a niche area of collecting for many but I am always drawn to the history/stories they represent and I am always on the lookout for them. Pic #7 does look like it could possibly be shrapnel impact, at least in my opinion. Great buy!!

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Anybody think the largest hole on the comb of the stock (picture #7) could have been some kind of other impact strike? I don't want to go as far as to say a bullet struck it, but it looks like it's going in a different direction than the other scars.

I would think the impact of a high caliber rifle bullet would break apart that stock.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's 3 more pictures of damage to the bayonet lug and the shrapnel that cracked the stock in front of the receiver.

The last picture shows a strong magnet I have sticking to a piece embedded in the comb of the stock.

Attachments

• IMG_2310.jpg
      IMG_2310.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 474
    • IMG_2304.jpg
      IMG_2304.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 482
    • IMG_2311.jpg
      IMG_2311.jpg
      66.2 KB · Views: 476

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here's the 1916 Spandau Gewehr 98 that I unfortunately mistook for the all matching Amberg. This one was the cosmetically nicest looking one out of the lot. The bore looks good despite having a bit of dust in it, so it'll hopefully make a nice shooter. No import marks.

The bolt, rear sight, barrel bands, floorplate and triggerguard are mismatched. One of the stamps on the stock looks like it might be a "Revisions Commission" marking, meaning it may have had some minor repairs and/or parts replaced. That makes sense since there is a very small stock repair near the receiver that looks better than bubba's handiwork. There is some kind of homemade bubba rear sling swivel though, which I'm going to remove and replace with a correct one.

I got this one for $377 with all fees and tax included, which is still a decent price even with the mismatched parts.

Attachments

• IMG_3036.jpg
      IMG_3036.jpg
      128.2 KB · Views: 389
    • IMG_3056.jpg
      IMG_3056.jpg
      98.3 KB · Views: 402
    • IMG_3101.jpg
      IMG_3101.jpg
      131.6 KB · Views: 402
    • IMG_3115.jpg
      IMG_3115.jpg