• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Anyone know where there are any good ponds or small lakes that are open to the public that has good bass fishing? I don't want to keep the fish just catch & release.

Retiring and wanna start out right by fishing and enjoying!

Thanks

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Honestly the best places I fished for bass were Liberty Reservoir, Prettyboy Reservoir and for smallies the Potomac. I used to fish with a friend that had a small flat bottomed boat with an electric motor for the reservoirs. Pretty much set up like a bass boat but with an electric motor as well as a trolling motor. We usually did pretty good once you find the right spots. If your retiring you might consider that. Great fishing is only minutes away that way..

P.S... Enjoy your retirement!

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Thanks, I will have to check out Liberty & Prettyboy Reservoirs.....

Have not decided if I wanna get a boat.....lol

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Me too..lol.
    I know the boat itself can be had fairly cheap. His is a 14' Jon Boat with a deck and decent chairs. Like I said, pretty much set up like any gas powered bass rig. The big expense with these are the electric motor and batteries. His is a 60 volt motor, I forget the brand but they are pretty popular and last a very long time. He bought his (well) used and only ever replaced 1 wire on it. The batteries are 5 X 12 volt deep cycle batteries. That set up would get us to the far reaches of the reservoir with plenty enough power to get us back to the dock. He also has a 24 volt trolling motor powered by 4 X 6 volt golf cart batteries. Plenty of reserve time with that set up too and good insurance if you main motor fails. i have also seen guy out there with multiple trolling motors for power. They will have 3 or 4 on the back of the boat and it seemed to work O.K.
    Don't be in a hurry tho, according to the GPS on the boat his would do 5.9 MPH and was one of the quicker boats on the water there. There were faster ones with really high end motors.. All depends on what you want and how much of a hurry you are in. We were there to enjoy the water so speed was not an issue for us.
    I also saw folks out there with kayaks too. Not a bad idea and good exercise if your into that. The reservoirs have minimum boat sizes too. IIRC 12' was the smallest for any powered boat but I would have a look around the DNR fishing site just to see if anything has changed..

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    My problem would be hauling the boat around, gotta get a trailer, register it, then a truck to haul it around........ $$$$$ lol

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Some decent smallies in the Upper Patapsco, like above where it is tidal, near Ellicott City.

Potomac around Harper's Ferry is nice.

Cunningham Falls and Piney Run Reservoirs.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Fished a lot of ponds in Fred Co. See a pond, knock on door and ask politely, more than half the time they will say yes. Of course when I was a lad we used to just sneak in after dark...Now that was fun!!!! Nothing like a Jitterbug doing it's thing under a moon lit night

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Thanks for the link.... I may try Cunningham Falls & Piney Run

I may try around Harpers Ferry also, pass by there all the time going to Charlestown.....lol

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    My problem would be hauling the boat around, gotta get a trailer, register it, then a truck to haul it around........ $$$$$ lol

Right on.. I understand. Here in S.C. you don't need to register or tag a trailer unless it's a biggun'.. Might think about a kayak then, lightweight and easy enough to tote around on a vehicle roof... Gets you to places you'll never get to from shore. It's your retirement, have a blast!!
    Also, I forgot to mention Random House Park in Westminster. There are bass in there. Most folks dip a worm in there for sunnies but I've actually caught decent bass there and rarely saw others fishing specifically for them..

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Also, I forgot to mention Random House Park in Westminster. There are bass in there. Most folks dip a worm in there for sunnies but I've actually caught decent bass there and rarely saw others fishing specifically for them..

A few bass in there as I fished it awhile back, perhaps 12 to 15 years ago. If during season you decide to keep one or two legal sized bass, DON'T put them on a stringer and place them back in the pond because if you do, most likely you'll jus' pull up a stringer of bass heads. Snappers in there LUV thems bass fishes. Voice of experience speaking.

Sgt6402

Jan 21, 2008
    md
    Right on.. I understand. Here in S.C. you don't need to register or tag a trailer unless it's a biggun'.. Might think about a kayak then, lightweight and easy enough to tote around on a vehicle roof... Gets you to places you'll never get to from shore. It's your retirement, have a blast!!

That is a thought, I like the kayak idea! I didn't even think about Random House pond and all I have is bass gear so I may do pretty good there.

Thanks for reminding me of that place :)

Lou, Thanks for that heads up(No Pun) :D but I don't keep them

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom