• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GAS_OPERATED

Mar 2, 2013
    Leonardtown
    Hi I want to get started reloading soon but I have no idea where to start. What are the basic raw materials and supplies needed to load up some pistol rounds, excluding the powder, casings, etc.? Basically, what machinery and equipment do I need? I already have a good caliper. Help would be appreciated.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Hi I want to get started reloading soon but I have no idea where to start. What are the basic raw materials and supplies needed to load up some pistol rounds, excluding the powder, casings, etc.? Basically, what machinery and equipment do I need? I already have a good caliper. Help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irC3NuIKDm4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OupCjYZoCpE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0__OViMcaA

http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

Also need good books:

http://www.amazon.com/The-ABCs-Of-Reloading-Definitive/dp/1440213968/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365306893&sr=8-1&keywords=abc%27s+of+reloading

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/575530/hornady-handbook-of-cartridge-reloading-9th-edition-reloading-manual

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Argh. Start him on a single stage! Not a 550!

I don't see an issue with starting on a progressive press. Hell it is probably better since once you move from a single stage to a progressive you aren't likely to go back. (and you will save money buy not having to make that transition)

Not to mention if you want to crank out a decent amount of ammo in a reasonable amount of time, progressive is the way to go.

:shrug:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A single stage is not wasted money. I have a 650 on the bench, and a single stage.

I used the single stage for precision rifle rounds. For pulling bullets (collet puller). Decapping mil brass. Working up loads (only a few rounds of each powder charge).

Lee, Hornady, RCBS, and Lyman all make kits to get started.

For pistol to get started:

Press (with priming setup or preferably a Lee Auto Prime)
    Shell Holder (caliber specific)
    Dies (caliber specific - for pistol get carbide dies)
    Scale (I prefer beam scale for most reloading work)
    Powder Measure
    Primer Flipper
    Tumbler (vibratory is good -not needed to get started, but nice)
    A set of calipers is nice to set overall length. Digital from Harbor Freight works fine for under $15

For pistol using carbide dies you will not need to case lube, and you will not need to trim the case length. But if you load rifle later, you will need these, so if you get a kit, they are not wasted.

My single stage is Lyman. It is an O-frame press for rigidity. And the Lyman has a longer ram stroke than the RCBS for longer cases.

Progressive is the way to go for large numbers. But you need to really load a lot to have them make financial sense. If you shoot 1 - 2 boxes per week or less, a progressive is over kill. My 650 with case feeder is capable of cranking out 1000 .45 per hour. A bit less for .40 or 9mm.

With a single stage you batch process. One evening you clean, decap, and size the brass. One evening you prime (Lee Auto Prime). One evening you do powder and bullet. Last evening, if you like, you can separately taper crimp. A half hour an evening relaxing, and you have ammo to shoot for a week or two.

splatt

Apr 5, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    PHP:
    With a single stage you batch process. One evening you clean, decap, and size the brass. One evening you prime (Lee Auto Prime). One evening you do powder and bullet. Last evening, if you like, you can separately taper crimp. A half hour an evening relaxing, and you have ammo to shoot for a week or two.[/QUOTE]
    PHP:

That is how I load with a single stage. I always have a few hundred rounds prepped and ready to charge with powder,seat,crimp.
    Slow and methodical, just like me:D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I normally do batches of 200.

Decap and size 200.

Swage and prime 200.

Then powder and bullet in 200.

Equals 10 boxes of factory rifle ammunition. And done in small amounts of time over a week.

splatt

Apr 5, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    That's similar to the way I do batches on pistol rounds. You learn real fast not to do everything in one sitting with a single stage,would make for a very long day.

Tumble,size and decap primers(inspect brass for split cases)

Prime and flare case mouths(pistol brass)
    These then go into my "ready" buckets, I just pull what I need to finish on the next phase.

Powder,seat bullets,crimp

I actually have two single stage presses, a Redding Big Boss for rifle rounds and a Lee Classic cast for pistol. You can set the Lee's handle to run right or left handed.
    Works for me, though I can see a 650 in the future. Just not there quite yet.

Last edited:

alpine44

Feb 5, 2010
    I keep a bunch of cases cleaned, sized and primed in baggies. Then I load later based on what I think the weekend shooting will require.

Agree. Even with a progressive press I tend to split up case prep (including priming) and final loading. I prep the cases in smaller batches right after a day at the range and do larger loading runs less frequently to replenish stock. That works better with the tumbler capacity while spreading the press adjustment over a larger lot. It is painful to prep 2000 cases at once and it is wasteful to reconfigure/adjust the press for just a box.

If the OP starts out with a single stage press (that he will need anyway), splitting case prep and loading into two sessions makes even more sense. You need to be 100% "awake" for the loading and not worn down from the more tedious prepping.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I split the operations for rifle rounds on the progressive. But not pistol.

I tumble, then load them into the case feeder and start pulling the handle. I put another batch in the tumbler every time I take some out.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    A press and dies...but if you did not buy any equipment or dies...I would not spend a dime until I could find couple blocks of primers...no point of having equipment without supplies... It's like have a gun without bullets:(

pilgrim

A press and dies...but if you did not buy any equipment or dies...I would not spend a dime until I could find couple blocks of primers...no point of having equipment without supplies... It's like have a gun without bullets:(

Hmm, the primers will come. Yup, I decide what I want start getting al the pieces and parts together. Just acquired some dies for future guns along with bullets and powder. When I find the right gun, I shall have everything to reload for it.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Reloading is a hobby inside a hobby. You can spend as much or as little as you want. I would stay away from anything NOT made by one of the big American companies that make reloading equipment.

A basic starter set would do well for starters.

You will need the following equipment

Press

Dies

Good scale (you get what you pay for) Do not skimp on this. Wrong amount of powder leads to bad things

Good load manual for recipes

Priming tool

Optional gear

loading block (I just use old plastic ammo box trays)

Caliber

Case trimmer

Brass cleaning, such as tumbler, utra sonic, or soap & water.

Supplies

Powder (try to find one that works for all the calibers you want to load)

Bullets (Cast Lead cheap, Plated ok, Jacketed expansive)

Primers, Large and small both rifle and pistol primers depending on your case to be reloaded.

Ask around I am sure someone might be willing to take you under there wing and show you the basics

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom