• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ELLICOTT

Feb 28, 2015
    Good day all. I have a airgun range set up in my basement of 30 feet. Am I just wishful thinking that I could shoot my 22 lr pistols and rifles down there with a fan running? Anybody have any ideas on this? I would not be shooting every day,just once in a while. I have a steel backstop and other backstops with duct seal and steel set up already. Have a blessed day you guys.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    ricochets would scare me. So would an accidental high shot going through your floor. It's possble, but I would make a serious lane constructed of plywood covered cinderblocks filled with sand, with a roof of plywood with a layer of sandbags. Then there is the ventilation issue, if you have a window you could put that fan in, you would be doing better than just circulating smoke and lead dustaround with a fan with no ventilation.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You need to exhaust the air, not just blow it around.

That said, a small amount of shooting is not a huge deal. Clean up with TSP in water. It helps pick up lead.

Dec 31, 2012
    Are you in a metro no fire zone?

If legal then maybe only use Aguila Colibri but not in the rifle. Super Colibri in a rifle if you check the barrel every shot. I'm not saying do it but just throwing out safer options if you choose to do so.

ELLICOTT

Feb 28, 2015
    shooting in basement

Thanks guys,all of the things you mentioned are very valid and ones I had thought about before but I have always been an outdoors shooter and some at an indoor range so now that I can no longer just step outside and shoot because of neighbors,I'm looking for an alternative. I'm new to this site and I truly thank all that replied. I guess I'll just stick to using the air guns down there,safer and no lead dust.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Good day all. I have a airgun range set up in my basement of 30 feet. Am I just wishful thinking that I could shoot my 22 lr pistols and rifles down there with a fan running? Anybody have any ideas on this? I would not be shooting every day,just once in a while. I have a steel backstop and other backstops with duct seal and steel set up already. Have a blessed day you guys.

Lots of people shoot firearms in their basements. Take reasonable precautions and be willing to accept a reasonable level of risk and you will be fine. In addition to .22's people shoot most types of handguns, it can be done responsibly and safely just do your research, and limit the use to reliable shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom