• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fallout protection

• Radiation (fallout) protection is useless, we'll all be dead

Votes: 12 36.4%
    • It's not worth the time and expense to build a shelter; too expensive

Votes: 1 3.0%
    • Building a shelter in your home or nearby is a waste; build one far from populated centers

Votes: 9 27.3%
    • Building a basement, cellar or underground shelter is a good idea, working on it

Votes: 7 21.2%
    • Having supplies and plans to build such a shelter on hand, and ready to go is smart

Votes: 5 15.2%
    • Have already started, or am improving current provisions/protections

Votes: 7 21.2%
    • Set and ready; also good to have a bug out location plan/location just in case

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    My parents house in Southern MD/Western Charles was a "Builder's House" circa 1955 that includes a block fallout shelter underneath the back porch concrete slab as part of the basement. Ironically it has a thin vented door, I guess they never got around to installing a serious door. Need to check but I think it has a spigot for water, definitely has electricity.

Would love to buy a vault door to put on there and make it a ginormous gun safe, just sayin'

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Watching the news about a couple enemy countries on the verge or have recently become nuclear capable. If nukes get dropped anywhere in the world fallout could become a serious threat to anyone anywhere in the world.

Aaand there is the big issue - radiation is usually poorly understood.

Usually, if someone somewhere in the world has a limited nuclear exchange (say India-Pakistan), most of the northern hemisphere will have slightly elevated levels of radiation but nothing that will require you to seek shelter or take special precautions. Think along the lines of "we already used 500-ish nukes on the surface and all that we got was scientists having a hard time finding steel for their extremely sensitive instruments".

What you are realy looking for is the fallout from local explosions. A lot of that depends on the type of bomb used (fission, fusion, multi-stage fusion etc.), the yield and the position of the detonation. After that, products tend to get carried by prevaling winds, washed down by humidity and condensation and will get incorporated into the food chain or deposited in the ground at some point. If you are looking at accidents with nuclear powerplants - those produce a lot less short-lived isotopes than nukes. If a power plant goes, you should be going fast and upwind since sheltering in place will require much more time for radiation to drop.

If you want to build a bunker, the general idea is:
    - will I need to weather the initial radiation burst or blast wave?
    If that is the case, you are quite close to an important target (think downtown DC, major military bases, harbors etc.). In case of "boom" you need to have sufficient warning to be in the bunker and you want to have something structurally sound and especially an extra escape route since you are facing debris etc. after a hit. And yes, you need a certain amount of lead, concrete or just packed dirt to aviod the intial gamma burst as well as radiation from the fallout.

- am I worried about local fallout from a nearby detonation?
    You are looking at the classic cold war scenario that someone just nuked DC and you want your pet rat to live. Well, the good news is you have plenty of time to get to your shelter since it takes 20-30min for the actual fallout to condense and start coming down, more so if it needs to be blown your way by wind. You need to consider two things: a) the actual ambient radiation from the fallout and b) ingesting particles. The most active stuff will have the consistency of fine sand (very much like volcanic ash) and inhaled particles seem to be less of a problem than ingested ones. Depending on the protection factor of your building (masonary or concrete walls) you might be safe enough staying inside your home or just upgrade your basement. The seven-ten rule tells you when it should be reasonably safe to leave the shelter but as a general idea, plan for about two weeks in place plus whatever you need to make the trip out of the fallout zone. There is plenty of cold war era reading material for these issues concerning construction, necessary wall thickness, expedient air filters etc.

- am I worried about global fallout from a nuclear explosion?
    If it is a single blast - meh, you will be fine unless you are in its way. If you are looking at a major nuclear exchange between superpowers there are two options. a) you are in a target area so you may now perform the following maneuver: bend over, place your face between your cheeks and kiss yo ass goodbye. b) you are living way off the exchange: increased cancer risk from fallout may pose an issue later in life. Right now things like "global supply chains" and "civil unrest" may be your bigger concern.

Summary:
    If you are afraid of localized fallout, a shelter is the right way to go but you need to understand what actually protects you from which radiation and how to determine when it is safe to travel.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Good discussion here but to have a "poll" with multiple votes allowed is senseless and makes the poll worthless. I won't bother to vote but will follow the discussion.

Sirex