• ...and so much more!
  • quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I like Delton but their taper pins are near impossible to get out. Keep that in mind. You'll have to remove them and the fsp to assemble.

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Well I got my barrel kit and have done a trial fit. Everything seems fine, I need to torque the barrel to specs and have the headspace checked, but this thing is
    HEAVY. it feels heavier than my Russian SKS, I don't have a scale to compare but wow, never had a rifle this nose heavy. I emailed Engage to see if they have any solutions to offer. Would a 14.5 pinned barrel save much weight? fluting perhaps? Anyone local do that? Next build is going to be something that doesn't require a HBAR barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
      IMG_0771.JPG
      43.4 KB · Views: 245

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well I got my barrel kit and have done a trial fit. Everything seems fine, I need to torque the barrel to specs and have the headspace checked, but this thing is
    HEAVY. it feels heavier than my Russian SKS, I don't have a scale to compare but wow, never had a rifle this nose heavy. I emailed Engage to see if they have any solutions to offer. Would a 14.5 pinned barrel save much weight? fluting perhaps? Anyone local do that? Next build is going to be something that doesn't require a HBAR barrel.

I always feel heavy takes recoil away. Most of my 'fun guns' are SBRs with suppressors, lights, lasers, sights, etc. They ARE heavy. They don't jump around on me though. A pencil-barreled 16'' AR is nice and light. You can tote it all day long. But it will also be way more jumpy for an average shooter as far as follow-up shots are concerned. It's all a trade-off IMO.

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Yes, I know what you mean, heavy is not bad, but this one is not very balanced. I'm even thinking of getting an A2 rifle stock and adding a little weight, just to balance it out a little.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Put an optic on it and it will handle better with some weight towards the back. Looks great by the way. :thumbsup:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    You need to weight the back of it. Good balance will do much to cancel out the front heavy feel. I have a cheek piece on my collapsible stock. I filled the battery compartments with lead shot. It helped even with a 20" HBAR upper though the muzzle weight was still noticable, but not ungainly. An 18" HBAR upper is better still.

I have since replaced the collapsible stock on the 18" gun with an A2 stock and all muzzle heaviness is lost to a good balance. The A2 stock was installed for stablizing the rifle for precision not because of handling.

All this said...the light carbines are a hoot!

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/shop/barrels/spr-sdm-barrels/16-sdm-barrel-1-7-twist.html
    Basically this. It's a 16" HBAR that's been fluted.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Middy HBARs are something of a club. I have one..... Can't even imagine a 20 inch barrel with an HBAR profile. May be good for bench shooting that's it.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Faxon has heavy fluted barrels that are relatively light.
    16" Mid-length Heavy Flutted (1.77 lbs) http://faxonfirearms.com/16-heavy-fluted-5-56-nato-mid-length-416-r-stainless-steel-qpq/

For reference a stripped 14.5" M4 barrel is ~1.60 lbs (https://danieldefense.com/cold-hamm...h-chf-barrels/14-5-5-56mm-1-7-m4-profile.html) so you are talking about less than 3oz difference.

I have their 18" rifle length heavy fluted @ 2.16 lbs which is about the same as a standard government profile 20" barrel.

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to put an A2 stock on it, for balance and live with it. I went to Blue Fins and bought another stripped lower today, I got an Aero, so on with my second build.

abr10dr

May 17, 2010
    I decided not to live with it, the Faxon 16" fluted heavy barrels came back in stock, so I ordered one. They list the weight at 1.77 lbs., which is a pound lower than my DelTon. I'll put an ALG hand guard on and a RDS.that should get it close to seven lbs.. Now I need to decide what to do with the DelTon.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Middy HBARs are something of a club. I have one..... Can't even imagine a 20 inch barrel with an HBAR profile. May be good for bench shooting that's it.

I have a Colt R6601 (20" Sporter Match Target HBAR). A2 configuration. Pre-Klinton Ban.

This rifle SHOOTS.
    I bought this rifle to replace my M1 Garand in club NRA High Power Rifle matches.

Consistently shoots less than 3/8" groups at 100 yards, off of an Uncle Bud's "Bulls Bag" w/ 69 grain handloads.

Shooting Prone, is just like shooting off of a bench or bags.

Even though I haven't shot it in a while................. it will NEVER be sold!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Nice thing about that Windham Dissipator vs the Delton Dissipator which I have is the gas system.
    Mine is a Delton w/ rifle gas and its sensitive to lighter loads. I accidently used a standard spring instead of the light spring that came with it and results were FTF with reloads and some factory ammo.
    I like the way Windham as the gas block there for a better gas system and more standard dwell time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom