• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , since this was Shotgun forum , and not NFA forum , no proactive mention of Stamp or SBS/ AOW , that would make it questionable , or setting us up for a HaHa .

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    It's not a useless reply. Shotguns must have a barrel length of at least 18" to be considered legal without falling under a Class III classification. I'm guessing you may not realize this perhaps? It's only been that way since 1934.

Here's some light reading for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/shotgun-firearm-subject-nfa

On a side note, maybe it's not the best thing to announce that you are preparing to create an illegal shotgun that can earn you prison time on a public forum.

That's not a joke.

Thank you for the speech.

I'll be filing for my stamp shortly and want to have a plan for the shotgun prior to writing the check. I like to get my ducks in a row before I start spending money.

Good grief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Appreciate those who were helpful, and the PMs I got for recommendations. Thanks!

To everyone on the "that's illegal" train or "you didn't mention a stamp" train, not everyone that posts on this forum is retarded. Those of you who assume this kind of stuff is why I post less and less on this forum. It used to be much more helpful than it is now. These days it seems like everyone wants to say "no you're wrong" without any idea of what they're talking about.

Mods can feel free to delete this.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Cut down with an old hacksaw and a $5 plastic miter box from home depot. Walt Frear installed the bead

ETA; yes I have a stamp for it.

Cut loose great. A side by side is apparently much easier to make pretty and perfect than a tapered 870 barrel.

You better have a stamp or these stamp police will show up at your house. (And I'm not talking about the ATF!)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah... I don't get why everyone jumps on the illegal bandwagon right away. It is perfectly legal to do... you just need the tax stamp before you do it. OP has been here a long time... he is neither a fool nor a criminal.

Us 13ers have to stick together.

BGOS in real time.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well , since this was Shotgun forum , and not NFA forum , no proactive mention of Stamp or SBS/ AOW , that would make it questionable , or setting us up for a HaHa .

I would expect it to show up in the NFA forum after it is cut. ;)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Cut loose great. A side by side is apparently much easier to make pretty and perfect than a tapered 870 barrel.

You better have a stamp or these stamp police will show up at your house. (And I'm not talking about the ATF!)
    Possibly much ado could have been avoided if you'd been forthcoming with that in your initial post. I know I would have been - it's never safe to assume that people know what is or is not legal with gun laws. You merely asked a very basic question with no other context other than you wanted to chop an 18" shotgun barrel down to 10", which would make it illegal.

This is the very first thread posted in it's entirety - absolutely no mention of getting an NFA stamp.

Any recommendations for a place to chop my REM 870 barrel from 18" to 12" and install a bead? Possibly port it as well.
    With nothing else to go on, you can't blame the members of this forum for raising an eyebrow, questioning it, and trying to educate you on a subject that up until now you appeared to be ignorant of.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Home Depot or Lowes for a hacksaw.

:lol::lol::lol:

JB Weld for the bead.

Don't laugh. My Father had a Winchester 97 that someone had cut the barrel down to about 20" (from the looks of it I think it was Mr Magoo) He only paid $25 for it so I guess it was worth it.

It always bothered me so one day a took a piece of 2x4 and drilled a hole in it just big enough for the barrel to fit snuggly through. Clamped the 2x4 in my vise, slid the barrel through and took a good, new hacksaw blade and cut that barrel down to 18 1/2". Then I polished the muzzle up with emory cloth and cold blued it. Then I assembled the gun back together and plumbed the receiver and took a pipe center and located the top of the barrel and center punched a spot near the muzzle. Drilled and tapped a hole for a bead and voila! LOL!

Entire process took me about an hour and it looks great, for amateur gunsmithing in my shed! I wouldn't attempt the porting though.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    OP:

If you shorten the barrel, you may want to consider using a pipe cutter from home Depot instead of a hacksaw (pipe cutters are about$20) it is much easier to get a square cut than with a hacksaw and a miter.

a little Emory cloth or a sanding block to clean up the cut, and then cold blue.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Not a joke. Why would it be? I want to SBS a shotgun and want a smith to install a new bead for me. Figured they might as well cut it too to ensure it's not off kilter at all. With the barrel tapering it's easy to screw up.

Did my OP say I was doing this without a stamp? Why is it so many people here assume "that's illegal!" before asking questions.

I've been reading about Vangard. I was told by a local smith that Briley is good as well. Just wanted to hear if anyone had any other good recommendations.

And it's not illegal to saw down a barrel if it is not assembled to the receiver.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    OP:

If you shorten the barrel, you may want to consider using a pipe cutter from home Depot instead of a hacksaw (pipe cutters are about$20) it is much easier to get a square cut than with a hacksaw and a miter.

a little Emory cloth or a sanding block to clean up the cut, and then cold blue.

Most likely a pipe cutter won’t cut through a steel barrel as they are designed for copper.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Most likely a pipe cutter won’t cut through a steel barrel as they are designed for copper.

I have used a pipe cutter for a shotgun barrel. Since it's designed to cut pipe, it doesn't make a square-faced cut. It leaves an inward-tapered edge that you'd need to file or sand flat. Not that hard if you're careful.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I have used a pipe cutter for a shotgun barrel. Since it's designed to cut pipe, it doesn't make a square-faced cut. It leaves an inward-tapered edge that you'd need to file or sand flat. Not that hard if you're careful.

I've read a few accounts of the pipe cutter 'spiraling' down the barrel instead of making one cut. The outside of the barrel is tapered so the pipe cutter just makes a mess.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Possibly much ado could have been avoided if you'd been forthcoming with that in your initial post. I know I would have been - it's never safe to assume that people know what is or is not legal with gun laws. You merely asked a very basic question with no other context other than you wanted to chop an 18" shotgun barrel down to 10", which would make it illegal.

This is the very first thread posted in it's entirety - absolutely no mention of getting an NFA stamp.

With nothing else to go on, you can't blame the members of this forum for raising an eyebrow, questioning it, and trying to educate you on a subject that up until now you appeared to be ignorant of.

Full disclosure. Im the ATF and wanted to see who would recommend doing something illegal.

Hide yo dogs.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've read a few accounts of the pipe cutter 'spiraling' down the barrel instead of making one cut. The outside of the barrel is tapered so the pipe cutter just makes a mess.

I didn't have that problem. If you use a light touch and go slow, it can work. Once the cut starts it will continue in the same place. You can always try a test cut or two farther out from the final length.

I have a buddy who needs me around to say "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" when he works on anything mechanical. I wouldn't tell him how to cut a barrel. I'd give him the name of a decent gunsmith instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom