• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    So, I stumbled upon this... It was not labeled correctly but pretty much knew right away what it was... I verified the blackened bolt head, correct front sight, correct unfilled rear sling slot, and Cal marking on the barrel, correct stock design.

I really didn't want to buy anything, but when something like this pops up, you jump on it.

Here is some good reading..

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/bannerman-30-06-mosin-nagant-video/

http://www.mosinnagant.net/global mosin nagants/bannerman.asp

Cant wait to get some feedback from some mosin experts like h2u & mawkie and others...

Scan of a Bannerman Mosin for sale...
    bannerman_ad.jpg

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2091.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Very unusual firearm, very interesting history.

I would have had a hard time walking away as well, especially for the full military stocked model.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Very good history lesson and a curio indeed. I would however question how well it would shoot. I know reloading a .308 diameter bullet in my Mosin was futile. It gave me worse accuracy than the 70's milsurp which uses a .310 bullet. .311 bullets were way better. I wonder if anyone slugged the barrel on it. Without any direct experiance, I would think it would be a good collector item, but not a good shooter unless you made some custom loads for it. If you think about even those who sporterized these over 90 years ago, I'm not so sure I'd say it was bubba'd if they were inexpensive and you could not get 7.62x54r readily in the USA and someone converted it to make it useful in getting food on the table.

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    All Hail Francis Bannerman, Lord of the Mystery Put-Together, King of the Bubbas, to which all aspire!

A very cool find yellowsled. When I see an older sporteization of a Mosin, I always check to see if it's a Bannerman. Never any luck so far.

Amazing what the market will come up with to fill a need.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Very nice catch!

You are much more of a Mosin expert than I but I still appreciate that one a lot.

Side note; if ever up at West Point (US Military Academy) or that area you can see Bannerman's Island and some of the remaining buildings rather well sitting in the middle of the Hudson. They were working to restore it and make it safe enough for people to walk around on again.

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    NICE. Did you get it for $14 with 1000rnds of ammo for $25, like the flyer says. interesting, it has a NEW stock. I wonder if the top rifle in the flyer has a New England Westinghouse barrel or just a "NEW" barrel for a Remington receiver? Anyway, nice pickup. I've seen a few threads on the Gunboards forum about some Bannerman's being unsafe to shoot; take care if you shoot it.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Nice rifle! Looks like a classic Bannerman sporter conversion to me.
    Though I will say, the standard practice was to have the rear sling slot escutcheon filled in. Kevin's article that you referenced even states this.

Everything else is dead nuts on though.
    YS- Congrats again on a great rifle. It's a winner :thumbsup:

I've included two pics from my US surcharged NEW Bannerman sporter for reference.

Attachments

• DSC01094.jpg
      DSC01094.jpg
      45.8 KB · Views: 642
    • DSC01064.jpg
      DSC01064.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 617

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members