• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Nice.
    ? - Did the round make it through the deer?
    asking for a friend.
    Young boy, 7, shot one at about 70 yds and the .300BO did not exit. Not sub ammo.
    All mine out to 100 yards have been pass thru. Only one was out past 200. Never recovered that one. Dropped to her knees, got up and ran. No blood or anything

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Nice.
    ? - Did the round make it through the deer?
    asking for a friend.
    Young boy, 7, shot one at about 70 yds and the .300BO did not exit. Not sub ammo.
    A buddy of mine shot a 7 point (around 125 lbs) with a 300blk. No exit wound and dropped within a few yards. Good transfer of energy.

My son shot a nice buck (around 175 lbs) several years ago with a .300wsm. Was very surprised to find the slug just under the skin.

Its interesting what bullets do and don't do at times....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A buddy of mine shot a 7 point (around 125 lbs) with a 300blk. No exit wound and dropped within a few yards. Good transfer of energy.

My son shot a nice buck (around 175 lbs) several years ago with a .300wsm. Was very surprised to find the slug just under the skin.

Its interesting what bullets do and don't do at times....
    Really, the only projectile I want a pass through from is an arrow. Bullets are better when they expend all their energy within the animal(or human). MHO

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Somewhat of a long shot (please PM me if you don't want to post the area) but I'm wondering if any of you hunters know of hunting areas in region B that allow camping overnight as well as hunting. I know these options exist in places out west like Green Ridge, but all of the areas I've looked at in B are day use (hour before/after sunset) only. Thanks

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Really, the only projectile I want a pass through from is an arrow. Bullets are better when they expend all their energy within the animal(or human). MHO
    I thought that too until I used the red tipped bullets like SST's and similar. I'll take a remi Core-lokt, of soft point, over that every day. Those bullets expand so fast and quickly they destroy shoulders if they touch them. I stopped using them because of the meat I was donating to the critters when they touched shoulders.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    Does anyone know of any lots for lease or clubs accepting new members (for next year) in a rifle county? I’ve been hunting in PA for the last 10 years and having lots of luck but the driving has been tiring. Please message me if so. Any help would greatly be appreciated

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I thought that too until I used the red tipped bullets like SST's and similar. I'll take a remi Core-lokt, of soft point, over that every day. Those bullets expand so fast and quickly they destroy shoulders if they touch them. I stopped using them because of the meat I was donating to the critters when they touched shoulders.
    I’ve had similar experiences with the Hornady SST. They tend to explode on impact and not pass through I recovered one projectile but it was only the shredded jacket. So I don’t use those anymore. I’m very happy with Federals Terminal Ascent
    As for pass throughs, I prefer that as the deer tends to bleed out faster. I don’t recall ever tracking a deer with a pass through. And if so, there’s lots of blood to make tracking easy

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I’ve had similar experiences with the Hornady SST. They tend to explode on impact and not pass through I recovered one projectile but it was only the shredded jacket. So I don’t use those anymore. I’m very happy with Federals Terminal Ascent
    As for pass throughs, I prefer that as the deer tends to bleed out faster. I don’t recall ever tracking a deer with a pass through. And if so, there’s lots of blood to make tracking easy
    I was not saying all bullets are alike. They are not. You want a bullet that gets good penetration, yet, as I said before, expends its energy inside the thoracic cavity. Trust me, you want massive internal damage, not two pin holes.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I was not saying all bullets are alike. They are not. You want a bullet that gets good penetration, yet, as I said before, expends its energy inside the thoracic cavity. Trust me, you want massive internal damage, not two pin holes.
    If you’re getting two pinholes, you’re using the wrong ammo
    I got this deer this season. The bullet passed through. Look closely and you can see a geyser of blood shot out the exit hole. It was DRT. The puddle a few feet away is from the exit hole. The close puddle is from the entrance hole. No pinholes here. Try changing up your ammo. I’ve been trying different types of ammo (308) and federals is the best IMHO. Message me and I’ll try to help you out.

Attachments

• IMG_7231.jpeg
      IMG_7231.jpeg
      711.6 KB · Views: 73

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I got this deer this season. The bullet passed through. Look closely and you can see a geyser of blood shot out the exit hole. It was DRT. The puddle a few feet away is from the exit hole. The close puddle is from the entrance hole. No pinholes here. Try changing up your ammo. I’ve been trying different types of ammo (308) and federals is the best IMHO. Message me and I’ll try to help you out.
    My ammo is fine. It does just what I need it to do.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Yup both my slugs and ML sabots transfer the energy inside, most are not pass through and they don’t tend go far. As long as you hit them right of course, lol

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Very true. That said, on a good broadside, I'd still want something that exits. Because on a quartering, you might not be getting sufficient penetration.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not necessarily. Often times what happens with two pin holes is that the bullet opens rapidly and fragments/overexpands and all you get is the base of the bullet exiting. This happened on a deer I shot two years ago with a 6.5 grendel ELD-m. Open the deer up and one lung was mush (quartering sharper than I thought), and the liver just fell apart. Bullet diameter in, maybe about a half inch hole out with gut plugging the exit, shattered ribs on the entry. I am generally used to the exit being significantly larger than that with more controlled expansion bullets.

That said, if that ELD-m had hit a shoulder or femur first, it might not have penetrated nearly that far. But if you've got a big exit, that means the bullet is still carry very significant energy or is traveling sideways at exit (also fine). At best a rifle round is going to expand to around half an inch, to maybe 2/3rds of an inch. That isn't all that big. If you've got a big inch plus exit wound, that means it was still traveling fast enough (>1500fps) that there was significant temporary and some permanent stretch cavity going on. And/or on hitting the ribs on the far side, also struck the ribs hard enough to impart enough force to cause bone fragments to exit creating the large exit wound, which also means the bullet was traveling very fast when it struck the ribs (well over 1500fps).

Not saying you aren't causing enough damage still to drop the deer and drop it fast, but you are dumping less of the energy of the bullet actually in the vitals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom