• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    There is a big rub on one of my cypress trees out front. Either it is a youngin with a ton of vigor, or a big deer looking at it. Damn tree is 12 inches in diameter at the base.

Of course I am headed due west today to hunt rather than in my stand behind my house. I am sure I'll find a 12 point B&C on my game camera when I get back.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I think a few weeks back we had a discussion about "buck fever". I had said it never impacted me before the shot, only after. Of course I must have jinxed myself cause when that 10 point stepped out of the brush staring right at me, I started shaking like a leaf, ha. I think it partially contributed to my shot being a little low and blowing the far shoulder apart on exit. Ironically, it cleared pretty quickly and I didn't have the post shot shakes this time.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Can’t kill em from the couch! It was cold and windy but I’m glad I went out, got in the field at 3:45pm. Bumped a doe driving in so had good hopes.

I did a simple set. Grabbed my seat cushion and sat against a tree only about 100 yards from my truck, overlooking a clearing. This little spike walked out at 4:40pm from the woods, 50 yards from me. Shot once with my suppressed .350 legend, 180gr winchesters. He did a little jump, turned, then just stood there. So shot again. He jumped again and took off into woods. Made it about 10 yards and plopped over. Both shots connected, once through the lungs the other forward around the shoulder area. I thought it was a button buck at first glance but it had one spike broken off. The other spike was just under 3” so actually still counts as a button buck.

Came out to 80lbs after being field dressed. No trophy but more meat in the freezer!

View attachment 442456
    Way to stick it out! He'll eat good.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Two things I thought I would never see happen simultaneously. One, I thought I would never see at at all.

Were sitting out there on the range the other day and the next thing I know I spy this buck running around like a dam fool in this other field. And its a good one. Not a 2 1/2 old by any means with a good heavy rack. Probably 9 or more points. Good mass.

So he's up there by the end of the range and makes his way over to where my oldest boy is sitting about 150 yards. And, is looking like he's heading back into the woods. It's about 9:oo I guess. He's up there with a fine modern bolt action equipped with a Luepold Vx-3. The thing shoots like a laser and its bang on zeroed for 200 yards and the boys no tenderfoot.

I'm thinking, he doesn't see the dam deer, so I go to call him and wake his ass up or something.
    Thats when he opens up on the deer. I see it run directly towards him and fires again. And now its clear to the other side standing on the edge of the woods about a hundred yards from where the stand is. Me and my wife are both looking with binoculars and the deer is just standing there and the kids not shooting. I'm thinking, WTF is the matter with that dam boy?

The deer walks off into the woods and thats when the phone rings. I asked, what was it getting ready to fall out or something so you didn't shoot?
    He says, no I had two fail to fires out of four rounds loaded into the rifle and two of them wouldn't light. He ejected the last one, bungled a spare out of his wallet and the deer's gone. I think somethings wrong with my rifle, I put it right on him twice and clean miss as far as I can tell.

I said reload wait there for a little while and go look for him and Ill wait here to see if he runs out the other way or something.
    No Dice, clean misses. He's gone back into the cut-over for a nice sunny day nap.
    Later on, when we met up down the other end I said give me that dam rifle and you ammo. When I looked at it, the scope reticle was rotated about 60 degrees from vertical and he told me he heard something clicking or rattling when he was loading the rifle once he was in the stand. Something didn't sound right but he overlooked the noise thinking it was nothing like the follower rattling in the box mag or something when he pushed some rounds into it.

The ammo, factory Remington 308 spitzers that he buys in lots had to two fail to fires from the same pasteboard factory box.
    It was then I was like, Ill trade you my rifle for that one straight up with 5 boxes of 270 and you can keep all the ammo you bought for that one to yourself.
    He wasn't to thrilled with that proposition as you could very well imagine LOL but I did my best to try and talk him into it, but I still have some time to work on him I think.

Afterwards, we rode over to the plantation house and let the rifle warm up in the hot truck, proved the sighting on a 8 "gong two hundred yards to the corn field there, never touching the turrets, burned a good way through another crisp box of ammo that had you guessed it, two more cartridges that were FTF.
    The scope rifle combo is practically dead on for deer shooting with the reticle still about sixty degrees off.
    One thing I could see, two...... never much with any rifle/ telescope combination. Especially with supposedly superior manufactured products from reputable suppliers.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Two things I thought I would never see happen simultaneously. One, I thought I would never see at at all.

Were sitting out there on the range the other day and the next thing I know I spy this buck running around like a dam fool in this other field. And its a good one. Not a 2 1/2 old by any means with a good heavy rack. Probably 9 or more points. Good mass.

So he's up there by the end of the range and makes his way over to where my oldest boy is sitting about 150 yards. And, is looking like he's heading back into the woods. It's about 9:oo I guess. He's up there with a fine modern bolt action equipped with a Luepold Vx-3. The thing shoots like a laser and its bang on zeroed for 200 yards and the boys no tenderfoot.

I'm thinking, he doesn't see the dam deer, so I go to call him and wake his ass up or something.
    Thats when he opens up on the deer. I see it run directly towards him and fires again. And now its clear to the other side standing on the edge of the woods about a hundred yards from where the stand is. Me and my wife are both looking with binoculars and the deer is just standing there and the kids not shooting. I'm thinking, WTF is the matter with that dam boy?

The deer walks off into the woods and thats when the phone rings. I asked, what was it getting ready to fall out or something so you didn't shoot?
    He says, no I had two fail to fires out of four rounds loaded into the rifle and two of them wouldn't light. He ejected the last one, bungled a spare out of his wallet and the deer's gone. I think somethings wrong with my rifle, I put it right on him twice and clean miss as far as I can tell.

I said reload wait there for a little while and go look for him and Ill wait here to see if he runs out the other way or something.
    No Dice, clean misses. He's gone back into the cut-over for a nice sunny day nap.
    Later on, when we met up down the other end I said give me that dam rifle and you ammo. When I looked at it, the scope reticle was rotated about 60 degrees from vertical and he told me he heard something clicking or rattling when he was loading the rifle once he was in the stand. Something didn't sound right but he overlooked the noise thinking it was nothing like the follower rattling in the box mag or something when he pushed some rounds into it.

The ammo, factory Remington 308 spitzers that he buys in lots had to two fail to fires from the same pasteboard factory box.
    It was then I was like, Ill trade you my rifle for that one straight up with 5 boxes of 270 and you can keep all the ammo you bought for that one to yourself.
    He wasn't to thrilled with that proposition as you could very well imagine LOL but I did my best to try and talk him into it, but I still have some time to work on him I think.

Afterwards, we rode over to the plantation house and let the rifle warm up in the hot truck, proved the sighting on a 8 "gong two hundred yards to the corn field there, never touching the turrets, burned a good way through another crisp box of ammo that had you guessed it, two more cartridges that were FTF.
    The scope rifle combo is practically dead on for deer shooting with the reticle still about sixty degrees off.
    One thing I could see, two...... never much with any rifle/ telescope combination. Especially with supposedly superior manufactured products from reputable suppliers.
    Frustrating!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The Arkansas plant is where the ammo is from.
    Confidence, not so much for the kid I would think as far as the ammo goes.
    I had a problem with some Remington primers a few weeks ago that I never experienced.
    I assume the scope, he can send back for repair at a later time but I wouldn't be happy with it short of a total replacement or a refund.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    High mountain is ok, so are some of the LEM backwoods kits. I've made hundreds of pounds of deer sausage, bologna, snack sticks, jerky, etc and if you want the best I recommend these guys. Best seasonings and kits I've found so far. This year for deer I'm making 25 pounds of garlic summer sausage with cheese, 25 pounds of honey BBQ snack sticks and some assorted jerky. I use their blue ribbon bratwurst seasoning to make my own brats every year. Brats are pork only but damn they're good.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    This afternoon for me after 3pm. Rifle ends on Saturday with a doe day here.
    Then it's back to bow to fill up the freezer and get meat for the stuffing's.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Couple does and a small buck out there on the range tonight.
    Maybe if he makes it another year or so he'll turn into something decent.
    Otherwise nice and pleasant it was a nice night to be out.
    I have been sick since Sunday. Its killing me to not be in the woods. Usually its work that keeps me from the woods, this time its a bug.....I envy all ya!!!

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    2 nice Nanny‘s to go with Monday’s Buck. Saw 13 total and was done by 8am.

Attachments

• IMG_1041.jpeg
      IMG_1041.jpeg
      378 KB · Views: 81

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Sitting on the couch just dying to get out. Got a text from my mom.....3 does in the field next to my stand. Wind is wrong so I probably wouldn't have hunted there anyway but still feel the salt

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom