• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    "Springing up"? These "camps" have been around for years/decades. It just takes a foreign news agency to highlight it. Makes you wonder what else we, the sheeple, are fed day-to-day by the MSM.

THIS

It's normal to me, having grown up in Dundalk and around the city most of my life.

I remember once playing paintball at Tank Hills in what used to be Fort Holabird and accidentally running into a camp for cover. I made eye-contact with two guys at the camp and just went, "Whoops". I think they were enjoying watching our match.

If one rides the light rail, they'll see little camps and tents set up along the Jones Falls and abandoned property up Howard St. A mattress sat at the curve just south to the Mt. Royal stop for over a year when I was taking the train. I wouldn't be shocked to see another camp in its place. For a time, there were camps along the railroad tracks behind Dundalk Middle School, just under the walking bridge.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Used to be one on Patuxent Rd./Piney Orchard pkwy. just past the Ice rink (closed down probably 10+ yrs. ago),Recently closed one off 8th Ave. in GB and a big one in Millersville behind AA county Maintenance/Najoles Dr. (Seagrave might remember that one,closed after a huge brush fire started there).

The one at 8th and B&A merely migrated further north (behind 400 block of Crain N now). The cloverleafs around Rt.10 and B&A Blvd as well as along Furnace Creek at end of Langley N are now popular spots.

As far as Najoles Rd area, it was vacated for a while after the brush fire but I haven't been to that area since the fire.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    So what type of people live here? Homeless people with signs at streetcorners, begging for booze or drugs,
    or pretty hard working, down on thier luck - but PROUD? types.
    I see homes in MoCO that look way trashier than that.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    So what type of people live here? Homeless people with signs at streetcorners, begging for booze or drugs,

both - plus a lot of folks with mental illness.

I met a Vet a few months ago who was too proud to accept anything from us. We check up on him from time to time but do so in a way that I hope preserves his dignity.

The world is a big place and nothing really fits into neat little boxes.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    More power to them for moving out of the city, if I were homeless I would be terrified to live in Baltimore city. Its a tragedy what happens to homeless people in that city. Just because your homeless does not mean you should be a punching bag or used as target practice for the criminal element.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    If you want to see a city like that, head over to the area surrounded by Rossville Blvd., Route 40 and Yellow Brick Road near Golden Ring Mall.

They are spread through out that area. My office used to be on the west side of Rt 7 that borders between Rossville and 695...there were a slew of homeless living in those woods.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

We had a pregnant lady living in the woods next to us. We'd see her come out everyday and walk across the parking lot. Heartbreaking to imagine what kind of life her baby may have and her too for that matter. She's gone now. There's a bus that comes and picks them up sometimes - it drops them off right in my parking lot just like they owned the place. I guess its from Grass Roots or some such. I think they may have a program where these folks can get a shower and maybe a meal. I've seen my campers begging on Route 1 and I've seen some look like they might be going to a regular job.
    A woman who lived under the bridge near Laurel Race Track was swept away in a flash flood and drowned last year.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    A woman who lived under the bridge near Laurel Race Track was swept away in a flash flood and drowned last year.

Weird you should mention that. I grew up near that area, and when I heard about that incident I was shocked to hear there was actually a homeless camp in that area. It was always basically swampland, and flooded out whenever there was a hurricane or even in major storms. Not the best place to set up a camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    There is a tent city on the banks of the Patapsco in South Baltimore. It looks like some of the photos in the OP linked story are from there, as you can see 95/395 in the background. If you go to bing or google maps satellite views and look below M&T Bank Stadium and north of the bus terminal you can see it. It's also visible from the highway, more easily seen in the winter.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    they are just showing the pioneer spirit that our ancestors used in the new world.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    There was one at Catonsville that the guys would move it from time to time. My dad went to school with most of them so we would stop by ever once in awhile and talk to them and give them some things that they would need. The mental hospital spring groove has a shelter but they would only eat there cause they said that it was full of city homeless trash that claimed it as their own and would start fight or pull knives on anybody that they did not want there.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    they are just showing the pioneer spirit that our ancestors used in the new world.

If I required that sort of pioneer spirit I'm pretty sure I would probably hike south a few miles at a time until I found a warmer climate.....

Last year, Some orginization, (VMA) ? went around, 495 & 95 woods, Found about 450 people, out of that, 50 USA Veterens. 25 of those veterens work full-time jobs during the day.Returning to there wood camp. What has this country coming to. Money and Greed. God help us all.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Last year, Some orginization, (VMA) ? went around, 495 & 95 woods, Found about 450 people, out of that, 50 USA Veterens. 25 of those veterens work full-time jobs during the day.Returning to there wood camp. What has this country coming to. Money and Greed. God help us all.

What does money and greed have to do with their predicament? Not arguing, just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom