• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ggoodwin52

Dec 17, 2010
    Hello All,

On Jun. 1 I purchased a new glock 23 from Baltimore's Best Pawn in Westminster. It has been over 90 days since purchase and I still have heard nothing. I am a 23 year-old Maryland resident and my record is clean.

Is there anything I can do about this? I will call them occasionally, but all I hear is "it could take awhile".

Thanks in advance for any replies/advice.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Hello All,

On Jun. 1 I purchased a new glock 23 from Baltimore's Best Pawn in Westminster. It has been over 90 days since purchase and I still have heard nothing. I am a 23 year-old Maryland resident and my record is clean.

Is there anything I can do about this? I will call them occasionally, but all I hear is "it could take awhile".

Thanks in advance for any replies/advice.

I thought that if you weren't a Designated Collector or prior NC, they now have you pickup around day 11 and temporarily (free) have you pawn it back so they could run a NICS check. Might be worth a call if you hadn't talked to them for a while.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I thought that if you weren't a Designated Collector or prior NC, they now have you pickup around day 11 and temporarily (free) have you pawn it back so they could run a NICS check. Might be worth a call if you hadn't talked to them for a while.

Check for a thread about that practice. IIRC, I think the Feds are wise to this procedure and put a stop to it, so it does not work anymore.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Current policy is an 11 day release. We are trying to do the 4473 background check when firearm is picked up. ATF is wise to dealers that were doing it in a manner they weren't supposed to. We were actually pawning the firearm then calling in the background check like we were supposed to do, since others that were not pawn shops were calling in checks ATF stopped doing all background checks for pawns. Now they all go through the state police. More work for them and a pain in the ass for all.

So if you have a firearms waiting stop in and we will get it worked out so you can take it home.

Thanks
    Dan

sorry for typos and grammar , paperwork up to my eyeballs

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Current policy is an 11 day release. We are trying to do the 4473 background check when firearm is picked up. ATF is wise to dealers that were doing it in a manner they weren't supposed to. We were actually pawning the firearm then calling in the background check like we were supposed to do, since others that were not pawn shops were calling in checks ATF stopped doing all background checks for pawns. Now they all go through the state police. More work for them and a pain in the ass for all.

So if you have a firearms waiting stop in and we will get it worked out so you can take it home.

Thanks
    Dan

sorry for typos and grammar , paperwork up to my eyeballs
    Why an 11 day release?

MD law allows on the 8th day and 3 extra days will not give any better chance of getting paperwork back from the state.

I ask because I am curious. For me it looks like a delay that adds nothing but more burden.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Why an 11 day release?

MD law allows on the 8th day and 3 extra days will not give any better chance of getting paperwork back from the state.

I ask because I am curious. For me it looks like a delay that adds nothing but more burden.

IIRC, that delay is due to the pawn & pickup step. Unless Dan has collapsed it it's still a 3-trip exercise (trip to buy, trip to pawn, trip to pick up) - and there's a waiting period on calling in pawn pickups.

I've done this. It works. However, I did it before the ATF changed the rules; Dan was able to call the Feds directly about my picking up my pawned weapon. I obviously passed the check...and I *still* don't have my ND back from the state.

The wait isn't for the first check. It's for the second.

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    See what you get for buying at a dealer who likes to infringe on your rights. The law states pick up after the 7th day. I will not give any of my money to a shop who does not look out for its customers. If they dont release on time dont give them a dime.

stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    i thought the 11 day thing was because of the method they are using. IMO its a good thing that they are running background checks and not just handing out guns like candy after 8 days

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    i thought the 11 day thing was because of the method they are using. IMO its a good thing that they are running background checks and not just handing out guns like candy after 8 days

If you think 11 days is better than 8 then you should actually believe that they should wait until the state does the full process. The only difference is a delay in rights. You will not be "safer" from the bad guy getting a gun because of those 3 days. Especially when the backlog at MSP is over 100 days now.

Thinking the 3 extra days of wait is crucial is buying into the "cooling off" period to start with.

stupid

Jun 13, 2013
    If you think 11 days is better than 8 then you should actually believe that they should wait until the state does the full process. The only difference is a delay in rights. You will not be "safer" from the bad guy getting a gun because of those 3 days. Especially when the backlog at MSP is over 100 days now.

Thinking the 3 extra days of wait is crucial is buying into the "cooling off" period to start with.

oh i was just referring to the fact that they do their own check. do most 8 day release dealers run their own checks? no idea i dont know how this stuff works :(

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    infringe

See what you get for buying at a dealer who likes to infringe on your rights. The law states pick up after the 7th day. I will not give any of my money to a shop who does not look out for its customers. If they dont release on time dont give them a dime.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I don't think Dan wants the media crapstorm associated with letting someone who shouldn't have a gun get one - while he may not be legally liable, the court of public opinion is not bound by such silly notions.

If he did, he'd change his release policy. (I think that's happened.)

ThatGuy179

Apr 2, 2012
    Pasadena
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I don't think Dan wants the media crapstorm associated with letting someone who shouldn't have a gun get one - while he may not be legally liable, the court of public opinion is not bound by such silly notions.

If he did, he'd change his release policy. (I think that's happened.)

To each his own. If dan wants to keep crapping down his customers necks and delaying a process that should only be 7 days he is no better than the gun grabbers. But i and many others will gladly shop at any of the areas other fine gun shops and pick out items up on the 8th day. A right delayed is a right denied.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    oh i was just referring to the fact that they do their own check. do most 8 day release dealers run their own checks? no idea i dont know how this stuff works :(

I can't speak for all dealers, or even as one (as I am not an FFL) but I doubt any dealer is happy with this arrangement. No one likes the idea of having to keep sold property around for 90+ days.

I can safely say no sane FFL would willingly sell a firearm they knew would be used against them. It's also bad PR to sell "bad people" guns that they shouldn't have. I think most would see the NICS check (you know, the one that takes 20 minutes) as the best compromise at this time.

8 days may be the law, but I think if we push it too hard you'll see the law extended to "until the check comes back"

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Why an 11 day release?

ATF told me 11 days. Not worth the trouble to me to argue over three days.

With ATF passing off pawn redemptions to the state police we gave up on the whole pawn and background check. So after 11 days everyone can come pickup their firearms. I liked doing the NICS check, but they are making it too much work.

-Dan

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    ATF told me 11 days. Not worth the trouble to me to argue over three days.

With ATF passing off pawn redemptions to the state police we gave up on the whole pawn and background check. So after 11 days everyone can come pickup their firearms. I liked doing the NICS check, but they are making it too much work.

-Dan

Thank you.

Curious thing for them to add 3 days. Seems very, well, arbitrary. But then again 8 days is arbitrary.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Thank you.

Curious thing for them to add 3 days. Seems very, well, arbitrary. But then again 8 days is arbitrary.

Not sure the point of the extra three days and maybe a different agent would have told me different, but whatever it's three days. If the three day right infringement is that huge of a deal we understand. edit* (sorry not directed at you FrankZ)

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Not sure the point of the extra three days and maybe a different agent would have told me different, but whatever it's three days. If the three day right infringement is that huge of a deal we understand. edit* (sorry not directed at you FrankZ)

It isn't as much the time as it is the arbitrary nature of this sort of thing.

Delaying a right is denying a right. I am not blaming you in this regard. The real question is, what does three days (or four or 11) get that NICS and release doesn't? The "cooling off" period was shown to be a false hope. After that there really is no reason to wait. MD requires 7 days (again that is an arbitrary number). More time, even minutes, is a denial of a right

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom