• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    you might have to think about shipping it out of state . That would open up a lot of choices . I used AL Marvel but he is no longer doing work , that was a long time ago that he did work on my mod 27.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    may I ask what needs to be done?

First, it needs a complete cleaning. I don't think it's ever been cleaned in its 57 years of life. Second, and more importantly, the cylinder doesn't swing out smoothly. As I put my first box of rounds through it, this got progressively worse until it finally ended up seizing. When I got home and let it cool down, I was finally able to work the cylinder out, but when I did the cylinder lock spring fell into my lap, so I need someone to reinstall that. I could probably do that on my own, but I'm now gun shy, no pun intended, because I buggered one of the side plate screws in the process which really ticked me off now I just figure I'm going to give it to somebody who knows what they're doing. Smith & Wesson customer service is sending me a new screw for free.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    John Carduner

I recently purchased a 1911 from John Carduner (Trikshot on this forum).
    It is posted on another thread here. It is a wonderful firearm.
    He does great work and is a pleasure to work with. (He is very diplomatic when you are being a dumbass).
    If he will take the job on, I would have no problems entrusting the Mod 28 to him.
    DocAitch

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    why

Someone put me on to John Carduner who meets people at Freedtate. I've read very good things about him and he said he's got about a week turnaround. A few people told me to steer clear of Duffy's.

Why would you steer clear of Duffy's? John Walker is one of the best gunsmiths I've ever seen. In fact more than just a gunsmith, a master machinist as well. I've seen him make barrel extensions on the lathe in under 10 minutes out of scrap metal that are better then something you would buy from Brownells. He's also fixed quite a few guns that other IPs have not been able too properly do the job they have been tasked with. So I'd reconsider this statement without first hand knowledge.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Give Tyler Firearms on Hollins Ferry Road in Halethorpe a call: 410-921-6393 and ask for Kenny. Think he'll be able to help with what you've described. Others have offered some good ideas, too. I consign with Tyler and Kenny has prepped some of my pistols.

Lew--Ranger63

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Why would you steer clear of Duffy's? John Walker is one of the best gunsmiths I've ever seen. In fact more than just a gunsmith, a master machinist as well. I've seen him make barrel extensions on the lathe in under 10 minutes out of scrap metal that are better then something you would buy from Brownells. He's also fixed quite a few guns that other IPs have not been able too properly do the job they have been tasked with. So I'd reconsider this statement without first hand knowledge.

Seconded!

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member

Are you asking a question or are you telling me that you disagree with whoever gave that advice? I have no first hand knowledge, so I must necessarily rely on others' recommendations, and two of the four that I got said they weren't happy with the work. That's why I would steer clear. But I'm also open to recommendations from others and if you and Libz say good things, then that's two votes "for".

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Are you asking a question or are you telling me that you disagree with whoever gave that advice? I have no first hand knowledge, so I must necessarily rely on others' recommendations, and two of the four that I got said they weren't happy with the work. That's why I would steer clear. But I'm also open to recommendations from others and if you and Libz say good things, then that's two votes "for".

Abulg1972, your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Also, I believe Rumnhammer, who gave the strong endorsement of the gunsmith at Duffy's, actually owns or works at Duffy's.

7A38

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have never directly confirmed ANY bad work from Duffys or John Carduner. I have been told "stories" of bad work by them, but I'll go out on a limb and say those people were full of shit.

If there are truths to stories about ANY bad Gunsmith, then the blame is shared by those who stay silent. When bad things happen people should report it and let the business respond openly for all to see.

In my time as a Smith I had lots of customers say smith's did things but it was really them and they blamed a smith. I have caught a few customers in lies by telling them that I know smith's and would call them. Both shops are good people.

No smith is perfect but a good smith will make right their mess up. Some customers suck and should be fired.

Last edited:

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Just to be clear ... I wasn't making any assertion about the quality or lack thereof of anyone, Duffy's included. I simply said that I've decided to give John a call because a few people told me that they weren't happy with the work they got elsewhere.

Regarding Rumnhammer's statement that i should reconsider until I have first hand knowledge, that's just a silly admonition. Someone who has never used a gunsmith doesn't just take a chance with a $1,000 handgun on the first person that Google brings up. You ask for recommendations from people you trust, you weigh those recommendations and try to make a good choice. I think it is totally reasonable for someone without first hand experience to decide to go with recommendations rather than rolling the dice to get first hand knowledge.

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    Yeah right

Abulg1972, your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Also, I believe Rumnhammer, who gave the strong endorsement of the gunsmith at Duffy's, actually owns or works at Duffy's.

7A38

I wish I owned Duffy's........I just paint for them

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I have never directly confirmed ANY bad work from Duffys or John Carduner. I have been told "stories" of bad work by them, but I'll go out on a limb and say those people were full of shit.

If there are truths to stories about ANY bad Gunsmith, then the blame is shared by those who stay silent. When bad things happen people should report it and let the business respond openly for all to see.

In my time as a Smith I had lots of customers say smith's did things but it was really them and they blamed a smith. I have caught a few customers in lies by telling them that I know smith's and would call them. Both shops are good people.

No smith is perfect but a good smith will make right their mess up. Some customers suck and should be fired.

People want "magic". They ask for some tune up, with the thought in mind that it will be magic and when it's not they are disappointed.

2. - They aren't sure how to ask, are shy, or figure the gunsmith knows what they want and when they don't get it they are pissed.

3. - They didn't get treated like royalty and get rosewater sprayed up their ass and go home crying.

4. - Any number of other reasons that insecure and sheltered people can't grow out of.

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    yep

People want "magic". They ask for some tune up, with the thought in mind that it will be magic and when it's not they are disappointed.

2. - They aren't sure how to ask, are shy, or figure the gunsmith knows what they want and when they don't get it they are pissed.

3. - They didn't get treated like royalty and get rosewater sprayed up their ass and go home crying.

4. - Any number of other reasons that insecure and sheltered people can't grow out of.

Well put, and accurate. FWIW I found out where the dissatisfied opinion likely came from. I'm new over at Duffy's so I found out there are actually people that have been banned from even coming into the shop much less doing things for them. The number is few apparently, but there are a few and they are people that management at Duffy's has determined that not dealing with frees them up to provide better service to the rest of the gun loving public (the majority of their other customers and people on here) instead of wasting valuable time with a few asshats that wouldn't be satisfied if John Browning himself was working on their stuff.

Chris Rummel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom