Baltimore Antique Arms Show - Who's going?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DES2013

Mar 5, 2011
    Just got back about a hour ago. First time at an antique gun show. Took the kids as I thought they could use a little history. Turns out we all learned a lot. I cruised the aisles and asked a few questions. Some knew I was a newbie and didn't care to waste their time with me. One fellow did take the time to explain the difference between the time periods for flintlock and percussion. I was very amazed at some of the prices! My son asked how much a civil war era hat was and almost choked when the person said $9500. All in all, another good day with the kids and got to handle some pretty impressive pieces of history.

Went on Saturday, I'll just paste in my post from an off-topic section of Gunboards.com

Compared to previous years, there were a lot fewer people this year and, well, a lot less cool arms I was interested in. I saw more non-firearm non-Japanese weaponry this time, and the mix was way different. Still, it was worth the trip for me to see various stuff.

Because of the kitchen, I didn't bring nearly as much as I have in the past. In fact, my primary goal was to try an obtain a part that's gone missing for my [Winchester 1895] restoration project up in the Workbench section. Anyway, here are the highlights.

* Ken Bean, the sight man: I was looking for two tang sights for a Remington Model 12--he said he if had a dozen would've sold them all by the time I saw him! He had them for the Model 14s but thats about it. However, he did hip me to something: The Lyman R25 (and by Extension Marbles R11) will work just as well as the Lyman R12 and Marbles R7s. He also didn't have any dovetail blanks.

* Secondary objective: Locate the front barrel band to a Winchester 1895 musket. S&S Firearms said they may have one in their basement, drop them an email. Another vendor says he gets them regularly but sells them just as fast, so email to get on his list. Both emails sent.

[UPDATE for MD Shooters: S&S Firearms indeed had one in their basement, barely any finish and stripped threads, and its still pretty pricey. The other vendor confirmed I was on his waiting list.]

* Saw TWO "antique" Colt revolvers--New Army models. One was marked RAC, had hard rubber grips, and looked decent, they wanted $435 but the seller wasn't around to haggle. The other was more worn, had some muzzle damage, wooden grips, and they wanted $325. The latter also had a crane that wiggled so that was right out.

* Came across a NICE Remington Model 12, pistol grip, Octagon barrel, crescent buttplate, and late manufacture--but they wanted $425 and wouldn't budge on the price, ohwell. Also aw a Savage 29A for $495, but that was too rich for my blood on that rifle.

* So what did I end up with? A Remington #4 Rolling Block in .22 in used-but-not-abused condition. The lady covering for the actual seller (you see this A LOT), said he could move down to $325 from $375. Since the guys with the Remington 12 were being stubborn, I bought this one instead. As a bonus, its a takedown model and it only needs a single screw swapped out. I already have it apart, very little rust, a lot of crud though.

* Also picked up a Beretta 1934 magazine.

Update: I found the screw at rollingblockparts.com and they mentioned that Remington didn't keep production records, but my configuration dates it to before 1924. Given its age, its in amazingly good shape.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    I sold a 1903 Springfield NRA marked to raise funds for my daughters macbook. Still short since she needs one with all the extras. I got a good price for it so I'm pretty happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom