• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012
    Anyone watch that show "The Wire"? Kinda cool to see all of the location shots in Baltimore. Also, although the show is total fiction, it does seem to eerily echo the newspaper headlines that come out today regarding politics, drugs and homicides.

The reason "The Wire" ended was because Baltimore City was complaining to HBO that the show was giving Baltimore City a bad name.....hmmmm wonder why...The kettle was getting called black....

bobbowmossberg

Shoot it Where?
    Dec 27, 2012
    Baltimore
    AGREED!

bobbowmessberg, im not saying that Baltimore city is a sh!tty place, I work just on the outskirts of it and do go the ocasional Ravens and O's games, Im just irritated by all the gun laws and the current outcome.

I hate these laws, we need to become a damn shall issue state.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    The violence is senseless yes, but when all you've know is drugs, B*tches, and clothes all your life and the only way a lot of the city's residents believe that the only way to get these things is to rob, sling , and kill. A life many of you that is not a city resident or have never even been in the city to see will not understand. Point Blank.

just my .02

And this has what to do with taking our law abiding rights away, exactly?

So what, I don't live in the city, does that mean I should lose the right to purchase an AR, or an AK? Or that I should be finger printed and booked like the criminals shooting up the city?

bobbowmossberg

Shoot it Where?
    Dec 27, 2012
    Baltimore
    And this has what to do with taking our law abiding rights away, exactly?

So what, I don't live in the city, does that mean I should lose the right to purchase an AR, or an AK? Or that I should be finger printed and booked like the criminals shooting up the city?

Not sure if you read the previous post in my response. My response was tailored to someone calling Baltimore City a cesspit.Its not regarding taking our rights. I live in the city. I hate the fact that I can't even carry my Glock. So in that respect we are in agreement.

Nokas

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    West Baltimore city should face a large scale police operation, retrieve all the illegal weapons, arrest criminals and gang members, barricade the sector-set up check points, etc. The specified area is so crime ridden regular police patrols are no deterrent to these determined criminals, west Baltimore is a haven for crime and it's where many of the shootings occur. No gun regulation or restriction will avert that. It is unfortunate that a troubled demographic plagues the area but it is the reality and I think tougher and more resolute measures should be taken carefully.

QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    As long as the people getting killed are ruthless drug dealers and convicted felons who rob, burglarize, and assault innocent law abiding citizens..... Who cares... Let them all kill each other. Law enforcement can only do so much..... And this absurd gun law, does nothing but show politicians how stupid the law actually is. I'd be surprised if the weapon used was actually registered.... Nothing new here.

ChrisR/T

Resident Beer Snob
    Oct 30, 2008
    Las Vegas, from Hazard County
    Not sure if you read the previous post in my response. My response was tailored to someone calling Baltimore City a cesspit.Its not regarding taking our rights. I live in the city. I hate the fact that I can't even carry my Glock. So in that respect we are in agreement.

I saw the cesspit comment.

Regardless, saying, essentially, "those poor souls don't know any better(it's all they've ever known)" is the absolute worst arguement to make the for the city being trash.

The city is trash because of the people in it, and the politicos elected to run it.

16 killed in 14 days and we're no where near the summer heat/crime wave that usually happens in late July and early August.

If criminals in the city want to act like animals, than they should be treated as such. Swift penalties and rubbing their nose in their bad actions. Instead, slaps on the wrist, TV interviews stating he/she was a good church going child, and more calls for restriction on legal gun owners rights.

Because we all know that the guys doing the shooting have got their HQL, obtained their handgun legally, and are just trying to defend themselves, right?

I'm sorry bobbowmossberg, I don't mean to be coming off at you, I'm just tired of the excuses for the criminal element in the city. Making excuses for people that don't want to help themselves wins no points and no ground with me, or many other members. The bleeding heart BS needs to stop, and real leaders need to sack up and start taking things seriously and taking down the criminal element like was done in the 1920's and 1930's with mobsters.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Then you'll love this http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-guns-md-20140113,0,243774.story
    They go on to blame gun owners and dealers for the problem.

Just another article showing their play card for this year. Other articles, radio segments, etc... are all pounding the message of the 200 guns and one car jacking into the heads of the electorate. They will push to eliminate the 8 day release rule then leverage for indefinite hold up times for gun purchases. This is probably motivated from them being butt hurt about conceding to the 8 day release lawsuit last summer.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013

The city is trash because of the people in it, and the politicos elected to run it.

Oh yeah. Check out the articles on Joan Carter Conway's history of talking campaign contributions from LLC contribution funnels associated with bars with questionable activities, then shortly after using her liquor board position to advocate for less police oversight of bars. A true servant of the citizen. :sarcasm: These people accept, work with and advocate for what ousted mayor Sheila Dixon referred to as the "underground economy" of Baltimore.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I think a very real solution is for the state to PULL FUNDING to that cess pool until they start to get their act together.

Sure there will be riots for a bit but they'll stop.

Give oh....a 30 day notice to get out. Then just cut off funding until they start acting like humans again.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I'm very sorry if any law-abiding citizens were among the body count.

The thugs, scumbags and miscreants? Who gives a fvck.

FIFY

Cops will never be able to take illegal guns off the street. Criminals are criminals becuase they will get what they need illigaly. Even if cops stopped every person in Baltimore....there will still be guns on the street. Im claiming SB281 DOES NOT WORK! Last year Maryland won the crown on having the highest homicide number, yup we beat Detroit. Now with SB281 in place we have a higher homicide rate then last year....were averging 1.1 deaths per day. Im not sure how we .1 of a body...but were doing it. And like somone said "I wonder how many were killed with long guns?" Baltimore city will never see a positive aspect of SB281...this city will continue to hold the crown of the highest homicide rate....and no if at the end of the year we come in 2nd its not better....

Lets keep Bloodymore #1. :rolleyes:

I would like to know how many people were shot with a firearm legally obtained by the shooter.

By and large, for the most part, we all can assume and agree what the answer to that would be. "Hey boys and girls, do you know how to say ZERO"???

Yup, SRB & Batts will whine campaign for tougher laws on the law abiding, all while claiming that we cannot prosecute/jail offenders due to crowding/racial/economic disparity issues.

All the more reason for capital punishment for a capitol crime.

I wish Norris was still in charge. Shit would not be like this. no matter how crooked they said he was.

THIS ^^^^. :thumbsup:

Anyone watch that show "The Wire"? Kinda cool to see all of the location shots in Baltimore. Also, although the show is total fiction, it does seem to eerily echo the newspaper headlines that come out today regarding politics, drugs and homicides.

What do you mean, "TOTAL FICTION"??? That show was actually based on FACT.

Regardless, saying, essentially, "those poor souls don't know any better(it's all they've ever known)" is the absolute worst arguement to make the for the city being trash.

16 killed in 14 days and we're no where near the summer heat/crime wave that usually happens in late July and early August.

If criminals in the city want to act like animals, than they should be treated as such. Swift penalties and rubbing their nose in their bad actions. Instead, slaps on the wrist, TV interviews stating he/she was a good church going child, and more calls for restriction on legal gun owners rights.

Because we all know that the guys doing the shooting have got their HQL, obtained their handgun legally, and are just trying to defend themselves, right?

I'm sorry bobbowmossberg, I don't mean to be coming off at you, I'm just tired of the excuses for the criminal element in the city. Making excuses for people that don't want to help themselves wins no points and no ground with me, or many other members. The bleeding heart BS needs to stop, and real leaders need to sack up and start taking things seriously and taking down the criminal element like was done in the 1920's and 1930's with mobsters.

THIS ^^^:thumbsup:

I think a very real solution is for the state to PULL FUNDING to that cess pool until they start to get their act together.

Sure there will be riots for a bit but they'll stop.

Give oh....a 30 day notice to get out. Then just cut off funding until they start acting like humans again.

You're dreamin' of rainbows 'n unicorns again, arentcha'. :lol2:

Read ChrisR/T's post above yours.

River Mud

Mar 19, 2013
    Even if SB281 worked, it would be years before Maryland saw any positive results. Likewise, even if SB281 prevented any new illegal guns from coming in, which it won’t since MD is surrounded on all sides by free states, it would be years before the police could take all the illegal guns off the street.

Anyone claiming that SB281 worked or didn’t work at this point is just making stuff up. The law has only been in effect for three months. No three month old program is going to heavily reduce the number of crimes in Maryland.

"This law will begin saving lives on October 1." - Vincent DeMarco, July 2013.

bobbowmossberg

Shoot it Where?
    Dec 27, 2012
    Baltimore

No need for apology.I am not here to win points.This is was not an excuse comment.This was my self merely trying to shed a little light on why this shit is happening from my point of view! Theres is no offense taken at all, nor will it be.

My only argument is that the whole city is not ****ed up... Thats all... I think you went a little deep.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge

The only fiction is that they changed the names of the people.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Even if SB281 worked, it would be years before Maryland saw any positive results. Likewise, even if SB281 prevented any new illegal guns from coming in, which it won’t since MD is surrounded on all sides by free states, it would be years before the police could take all the illegal guns off the street.

Anyone claiming that SB281 worked or didn’t work at this point is just making stuff up. The law has only been in effect for three months. No three month old program is going to heavily reduce the number of crimes in Maryland.

Point well taken objectively, but we don't live anymore in an objective world. We (the universal we) have been conditioned by TV primarily to expect immediate resolution of the problems- in no more than an hour or so, unless its a 2 part segment. Even Vinny Demarco said we'd be safer on October 1st. The ill informed electorate will, I suspect, expect almost immediate results.

While the statistical effect of SB281 will not be able to be quantified for many years, if ever, the first result could well be that the criminal element is emboldened. The citizens have been disarmed and the criminal skated with no increased penalties or enforcement of the crimes. We have to be fingerprinted specifically to deter straw purchases- BUT Maryland has no idea how many guns used in crime were obtained that way, and in the last dozen years, less than six (if I remember the testimony correctly) straw purchases have even been prosecuted.

I am actually a little surprised that the homicide rate is so high now. SB281 stimulated an unprecedented arming of the people- over 100,000 regulated firearms and who knows how many "cash and carry" guns have been sold in Maryland since the beginning of the year. That amount of firepower in the hands of law abiding citizens should give pause to all would be criminals- but apparently that fact is lost on them.

We all should realize by looking at the statistics that guns are not the driving force in crime- it is social and socioeconomic and cultural factors- primarily drugs and the breakdown of the family unit (IMHO). The homicide rate goes up and down independent of gun laws. Until Baltimore looks inside its own soul, no amount of gun control, (or even gun freedom) will greatly effect the situation. Gun control is all political bluster and fanfare for an ill informed and largely uncaring electorate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom